Tariff tax may increase cost of Leica

ru2far2c

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I read where the US is adding a 25% tariff to some EU import goods as the US ongoing spat with trade. Starting 18, Oct 20119.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/02/us/politics/airbus-tariffs-wto.html

https://leicarumors.com/2019/10/07/trumps-new-25-us-tax-on-european-products-includes-cameras-and-lenses-coming-from-germany-will-leica-gear-get-more-expensive-in-the-us.aspx/#more-60853

Edited by ru2far2c
typo

The tariff will apply to the cost of the imported goods not the final retail price so there won't be a 25% hike in the ticket price of cameras and lenses. That said, it could still mean a hefty price rise if Leica USA choose not to absorb some or all of the tariff in their profits.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rumor mill says they will increase the full 25% on lenses first and then cameras in December. Who knows if this will be true.

But, if it is, I predict that this will in fact punish Leica's US sales. 

Good for all of us that already own a bunch of Leica gear as the used value will certainly go up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dkmoore said:

Jeff S clarified that the 25% on cameras will most likely be for small compact cameras and not necessarily the M, SL, and S line.

Not exactly my clarification; merely quoting Leica Rumors, which referred to “compact cameras”, whatever that means.  I would guess D-lux, etc, but have no idea, nor do I know their source.  

Jeff

12 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Not exactly my clarification; merely quoting Leica Rumors, which referred to “compact cameras”, whatever that means.  I would guess D-lux, etc, but have no idea, nor do I know their source.  

Jeff

Was too loose with my phrasing.

The tariff should apply only to foreign made goods that are in direct competition for U.S. made goods in the marketplace. 

A blanket tariff is akin to killing a mosquito with a sledge hammer instead of a fly swatter, but that's the way bureaucrats love to conduct business. 

I've read the tariff document a bunch, and i read it as lenses only, and not camera bodies.

I'm trying to buy a used Leica MP,  film body only, from japan.  I know i sound super redundant, but should i be worried about a 25% tariff on this puppy before i press pay?  I would cry ugly tears if i had to pay for an MP and 25% on top, in addition to my 10% state tax i'm paying too 😢

Hoping the kind smart people of the L Camera forum can chime in :)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Yup... Leica decided to spread the impact across most products instead of larger increase to just lenses.

Jeff

Sure glad I have made all my purchases, M10-P included. I can't fathom paying over $9K for an M10-P, as good as it is....

Edited by Reciprocity

Generally I’m slow to add lenses to a new system, but decided to go ahead and get 3 SL lenses for a new SL2 to avoid the tariffs, including $5k for a mint used 90-280, with remaining warranty, which will sell new on Jan 1 for $7k.  The dealer is prepared to raise the prices even on used gear the same 10%, to better protect trade values.

Several dealers confided that it’s been nuts trying to handle all the customer requests and clarifications regarding the recent and anticipated price increases.

Jeff

On 10/23/2019 at 12:10 AM, Herr Barnack said:

The tariff should apply only to foreign made goods that are in direct competition for U.S. made goods in the marketplace. 

A blanket tariff is akin to killing a mosquito with a sledge hammer instead of a fly swatter, but that's the way bureaucrats love to conduct business. 

Not really following that.

Taxing wine and cheese is a perfectly appropriate response to the French taxing the US' digital marketplace companies, which France doesn't have.  

Taxing Leica products is also a perfectly appropriate response to Germany not paying its fair share to NATO.

It is what it is.

Edited by A miller

22 minutes ago, A miller said:

Not really following that.

Taxing wine and cheese is a perfectly appropriate response to the French taxing the US' digital marketplace companies, which France doesn't have.  

Taxing Leica products is also a perfectly appropriate response to Germany not paying its fair share to NATO.

It is what it is.

Edited by ECohen

1 minute ago, ECohen said:

I thought the point to tariffs was so that you would buy your own nations goods. To level the playing field so to speak?

Is there a Leica camera equivalent in America being sold....... So the tariff is punishment?

Contexts differ, but in this context the point of tariffs is to influence behavior.  

With China - to get them to open their markets and stop taxing us and stealing our IP

With Europe - to stop taxing our exports force them to pay their fair share to NATO.

It is a powerful tool in an era of hyper-polarization in that it doesn't require Congressional cooperation.