PaulJohn

Godox trigger for the Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I want to use off camera flash on the Q, hopefully with the gear i've got but I am nervous of frying the electronics by using the wrong kit. 

I'm hoping to use my Godox V1 which has an inbuilt receiver and already have godox X1T triggers for Sony and Fujifilm.

I know that the same trigger in Nikon guise will work in single pin mode.

So, my question is, am I safe to try my sony or fujifilm trigger in single pin mode on the Q??? or should I buy another (nikon) trigger just for the Q

TIA

I regularly use Canon flashes on my Q2. Purely manual and only the center contact is used. No issues. I would assume Nikon would be the same. 

I have Sony and Fujifilm flash.

how did you find out if the camera would not be damaged?

Camera damage with flashes is, AFAIK, an old issue associated with old flashes (like decades ago) that had a high trigger voltage. Modern flashes use much lower and safer voltages which don't cause problems.

I have never heard of damage caused by using the wrong modern flash - just that it won't work if they are incompatible. I believe all flashes use a central trigger contact, but the branded varieties have different extra contacts for communication of settings etc. I suspect that cameras were/are too dumb to ignore these incompatible contacts, and so got confused and wouldn't work. Certainly I had to use Pocketwizards in Nikon flavour on my M240 - the Canon ones wouldn't work. For the Godox flashes/triggers on my SL I tested the Canon flavour and they worked. I have heard that others are successfully using Nikon versions. It is possible that the latest cameras are better at ignoring irrelevant signals from the various extra contacts.

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Camera damage with flashes is, AFAIK, an old issue associated with old flashes (like decades ago) that had a high trigger voltage. Modern flashes use much lower and safer voltages which don't cause problems.

I have never heard of damage caused by using the wrong modern flash - just that it won't work if they are incompatible. I believe all flashes use a central trigger contact, but the branded varieties have different extra contacts for communication of settings etc. I suspect that cameras were/are too dumb to ignore these incompatible contacts, and so got confused and wouldn't work. Certainly I had to use Pocketwizards in Nikon flavour on my M240 - the Canon ones wouldn't work. For the Godox flashes/triggers on my SL I tested the Canon flavour and they worked. I have heard that others are successfully using Nikon versions. It is possible that the latest cameras are better at ignoring irrelevant signals from the various extra contacts.

Brilliant - it works (fujifilm trigger ) - thanks v much

6 hours ago, PaulJohn said:

I have Sony and Fujifilm flash.

how did you find out if the camera would not be damaged?

I just tried it. The center pin just grounds the center contact when initiating a flash. Old flashes used high voltage on some contacts. That’s no longer the case with any modern flashes to the best of my knowledge. I’ve never had a problem other than sometimes different flashes fit slightly differently in the hot shoe. The Canon is a little snug because they have a rubber trim piece in the rear. It still is not a problem. I’m very fond of using my Canon Ring flash on the Q/Q2 for macro photography. It works great. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That ancient Metz flash with a 600+ volt trigger voltage might cause issues.   Anything modern?  I don't think so.   I don't recall if I've seen a spec for the Q/Q2. 

See http://dpanswers.com/roztr/volt_finder.php for a list of flashes and their trigger voltages.  Notice that most modern flashes have trigger voltages in the 4V to 6V range.

Edited by marchyman