Thoughts on the Q2 and the big picture of Leica ownership and usage

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been thinking of acquiring a Q2 for a while and am about 90% ready to make that commitment.  I see the Q2 as an addition to my Leica system, which at present includes an M4-P, M-P 240 and a handful of lenses. 

I am pretty well content with my M-P 240 but it does have a couple of shortcomings - shutter noise and not so great ISO range.  For print making, I have found that I can get away with somewhere between ISO 800-1600 before noise becomes a problem, depending on a number of variables other than just ISO. 

The Q2 seems to resolve those two issues, with weather sealing, autofocus, f/1.7 and a big honking sensor thrown in to sweeten the deal. 

As far as the focal length that some complain about being "stuck with" on the Q2, that is not really a concern to me.  Before I made the jump to digital when I got my M240 back in 2013, I had shot with my film MP and 28 Summicron ASPH extensively. 

The 28 is an excellent all-around focal length IMHO.  It is sort of like the 35mm focal length, but requires a bit more of the photographer in terms of thinking, discipline and not being afraid to get close to your subjects; it is also an excellent focal length for travel, documentary and landscape work IMHO.  I learned to deal with these issues (thinking, discipline, getting closer to my subjects) when shooting with my MP and 28 'cron, so I won't feel "stuck" or short changed by having only the 28mm focal length lens on the Q2.

In thinking about the Q2, this morning I had the thought that absence of the coupled rangefinder mechanism notwithstanding, the Q2 is somewhat of an autofocus counterpart of the M10 in the Leica lineup as a whole.  There is no equal to the flagship M10-P in the Leica product lineup (though some of the other digital M cameras come close), but the Q2 seems to have earned its place next to the M-10-P.  In looking at my Leica kit as a whole, I can see the Q2 as being an able backup camera to my M-P 240 and an alternative to it as my daily carry camera.  I think the Q2 will fulfill those roles with aplomb. 

I am wondering how the Q2 has fit in to the scheme of things for others who shoot with it and digital M cameras, and if the Q2 has served its purpose well in your photographic endeavors. 

Also:  Is it fairly accurate to think of the Q2 as somewhat of an autofocus counterpart of the M-P 240 or M10-P?

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts and impressions. 😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

The Q was my gateway to M (as I realized in retrospect Señor Overgaard warned of). To me, the autofocus, Macro mode, and EVF of the Q were inspired, but I didn’t feel like a true Leica shooter and didn’t feel like I was “making” photographs until the M entered my life. After deep existential internal debate, sold the Q and have since picked up an M6 to pair with my MD-262. I was worried I would miss the Q, but honestly have had no regrets. I’ll take zone focusing with a 28mm elmarit over the autofocus 28mm “Summilux” most days of the week.

Autofocus aside, have you thought about an SL body for your M lenses? I gave that serious consideration to get some of the modern amenities it shares with the Q.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I never gave the original Q much thought but when the Q2 hit the market, it got my attention - it's hard to resist that 47mp sensor, silent leaf shutter, image stabilization, 28/1.7 Summilux lens and weather sealing.  The more I thought about the Q2, the more I thought about it. 

The original Q is said to be Leica's best selling camera ever.  I thought, "the gents in Wetzlar must be doing something right with this camera," and that was before the blockbuster Q2 was released. 

The bottom line?  FedEx is bringing me a Q2 today. 😎

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received my Q2 yesterday, I've been a Fuji shooter for the last 6 years, and before that, Canon for close to 40 years.

I bought it for two reasons, as an entry into the Leica universe (have had a D-Lux for 10 years, but I don't think that counts) and for something interesting to do. Learning a new camera is fun, the 28mm lens is closer to my preference than my Fuji X100F and the idea of shooting once again with FF is appealing. With less than 24 hours of using it, I think I'm starting an interesting journey. 

Initial impressions: built like a tank, some very smart software and design features and looking at the few shots I've taken, that "special Leica something." Came here today to find a bit more about compressing files and thought I'd join. Because more information is always better.

• Like 2

FedEx guy dropped off my Q2 and Q2 grip about an hour ago.  Initial impression:  Holy freaking guacamole!!  This camera is truly a thing of beauty!!

I have made a few images of Oskar (my Australian Cattle Dog) and soon will be on my way out the door with him in tow to make some more images and do a bit of a shakedown cruise.  Right away it was clear to me why the original Q has been Leica's best selling camera ever - and why the Q2 can't help but shatter that record. 

If you haven't had a chance to see and hold a Q2 yet, by all means do.  Just prepare yourself to be hopelessly hooked at first sight by this beauty.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2019 at 8:12 AM, cheekz4dayz said:

The Q2 for me was my first Leica. I sold all my Fuji gear to consolidate and I have been loving it ever since I got it in May. It’s just been liberating to not have to think “what lens should I use today”. Although, now seeing the SL2, it’s safe to say the Q2 was my gateway drug into the Leica family 😊

This is my first time on the forum, and I could have written your post.  I've been a Fuji guy (XT2 and XT3) and recently bought (and love using) a Q2.  I've also had too many bad experiences with Fuji customer support and repair and I've decided to dump my Fuji gear and buy an SL2.  The Leica system is so much more elegant than Fuji that it actually does feel like a gateway drug to the Leica family, as you so aptly wrote.  Question:  where did you sell your Fuji gear?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your post--I'm delighted to know that I'm not the only one....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, qwerty said:

This is my first time on the forum, and I could have written your post.  I've been a Fuji guy (XT2 and XT3) and recently bought (and love using) a Q2.  I've also had too many bad experiences with Fuji customer support and repair and I've decided to dump my Fuji gear and buy an SL2.  The Leica system is so much more elegant than Fuji that it actually does feel like a gateway drug to the Leica family, as you so aptly wrote.  Question:  where did you sell your Fuji gear?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your post--I'm delighted to know that I'm not the only one....

I have a Fuji X100F which has been my back up camera for about a year now.  It is a nice enough little camera - feather light, very sharp lens, has many other pluses going for it.  The menu system leaves much to be desired, though. 

As for selling gear that you want to unload, ebay will get you more money than trading it in will.  You have to be careful on ebay, though as there are some less than honorable people who will  prey on sellers if they get the chance to.

Edited by Herr Barnack

On 11/15/2019 at 10:02 PM, qwerty said:

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm an amateur but started with the XT-2 late 2017 so I only had 4 lenses: (16, 23)1.4, 27mm, and 16-55 2.8. I was lucky and was able to sell the 16-55 for what I got it for to a friend. For the rest I sold them to adorama even though it wasn't the best price, I just didn't want to deal with the hassle. I have bought gear on the fredmiranda website so I'm sure you can also sell on there. 

The  Fuji16mm still has a favorite spot in my heart but I figured it was time to move on as I wasn't getting as excited to go out and shoot at the time. The Q2 still gets me excited although I've only had it since late April :)

8 hours ago, cheekz4dayz said:

I'm an amateur but started with the XT-2 late 2017 so I only had 4 lenses: (16, 23)1.4, 27mm, and 16-55 2.8. I was lucky and was able to sell the 16-55 for what I got it for to a friend. For the rest I sold them to adorama even though it wasn't the best price, I just didn't want to deal with the hassle. I have bought gear on the fredmiranda website so I'm sure you can also sell on there. 

The  Fuji16mm still has a favorite spot in my heart but I figured it was time to move on as I wasn't getting as excited to go out and shoot at the time. The Q2 still gets me excited although I've only had it since late April :)

What is the biggest difference of the two systems for you? I own an XT-1 and thinking of moving to the Q2. I just can't seem to pull the trigger yet. My main lens is the 23f1.4 and occasional

35mmf2.0 Can you comment on the EVF of the Q vs the XT-2? I love the EVF of the Fuji.  Is the Leica Q good for family group shots? 

11 hours ago, Marley said:

What is the biggest difference of the two systems for you? I own an XT-1 and thinking of moving to the Q2. I just can't seem to pull the trigger yet. My main lens is the 23f1.4 and occasional

35mmf2.0 Can you comment on the EVF of the Q vs the XT-2? I love the EVF of the Fuji.  Is the Leica Q good for family group shots? 

I find the Leica system much more intuitive and easier to navigate than Fuji's.  It just makes sense and is relatively easy to learn.  The Fuji system I found to be quite cumbersome in comparison, and the Leica is a lot more intuitive.  Shooting with Leica's amazing 28mm exclusively has been wonderfully eye-opening, and I've enjoyed being limited to that one focal length as I learn how to best use it.  I haven't taken many portraits with it yet, so I can't answer your specific question, but its clarity and ease of use is astounding.  I sometimes use the electronic zoom to shoot at 35mm and 50mm, and it's wonderful to have the option. I've also used the macro setting on the lens very successfully.  I use the exposure compensation dial a lot since I often prefer darker images.  Coming from the XT-1, you would also love the touch screen of the Q2.  One thing I miss is the tilt screen, but I'm very happy to deal with it since the Q2 has so many other wonderful qualities.  Another thing I miss are having ports.  The Q2 has none, so you can't plug anything into it, and for me that adds to its simplicity.  If you make the decision to get a Q2, I would recommend that you send away for the free manual as the camera comes with only a digital version.  I've found it very useful to have it with me, especially when first using the camera.  Below is an image I took at a local church when I first got the Q2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cheekz4dayz said:

I certainly share your Q2 excitement, and am loving using it--so much so that I've just ordered the SL2.  Leica just seems so much more intuitive than Fuji, and then there are all the great lenses....  Thanks for the feedback about selling my Fuji gear.  I have a Fuji friend who's interested in some of it, but I know I'm going to have to take a bit of a hit since I, too, don't want the hassle.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marley said:

Honestly the biggest difference to me was simplicity. I do this as a hobby and at the time I felt the acquisition of gear was consuming more of my time than taking pictures. So in a nutshell Fuji was really cheaper and made it harder to keep my G.A.S in check lol

I think the Q2 is pretty good at family portraits for me since it keeps a lot of people in frame. As for the EVF it's really good also. My only qualm although it might be due to user error or lack of PDAF but II sometimes find low light[photography challenging (think: food photography in dimly lit restaurants).

7 hours ago, qwerty said:

I certainly share your Q2 excitement, and am loving using it--so much so that I've just ordered the SL2.  Leica just seems so much more intuitive than Fuji, and then there are all the great lenses....  Thanks for the feedback about selling my Fuji gear.  I have a Fuji friend who's interested in some of it, but I know I'm going to have to take a bit of a hit since I, too, don't want the hassle.  

No problem, and yeah the lenses are great. I think fuji is also pretty intuitive but I think I just wasn't as excited to use it anymore.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 4:33 PM, snooper said:

I currently use a M10 with a Cron 28, a Cron APO 50, and a Summarit 75, and use my Q2 mostly in manual focus :D 

So to me, the Q2 is not the autofocus counterpart of the M10. It's just a different camera, and the more you use it, the more you'll love it. Maybe because the EVF is in a way what you would like to see in your OVF ? Maybe the stealth attitude of the quiet Q2 ? Maybe the weather sealing ? Maybe the excellent lens ? Maybe the sensor ?

Or maybe all of it...

Now I'm thinking going back to the Monochrom - keeping my M lenses - selling the M10 and do everything else with the Q2...

Attached: Q2, manual focus :)

Gorgeous shot!

On 11/15/2019 at 10:02 PM, qwerty said:

That should serve as a red flag for those contemplating sinking $10,000 USD plus the cost of lenses into the Fuji GFX 100. 

I know that over the years, Leica NJ repair has had its ups and downs, but I have never had a bad experience with them.  When a person sinks big money into a camera system, customer support and repair has got to be a high priority for the camera maker.

I loved using Fuji gear until I began having problems, first with the XT1 and then with the 18-55 lens.  I don't normally have problems with customer service, and I can appreciate that things go wrong--but Fuji's repair department was very difficult to deal with with regard to my getting information in a timely manner and inspiring any confidence at all that whatever sums I'd be putting into repair would be effective over time.  I don't know if these were simply lemons, but I struggled and hemmed and hawed for a while as I became more and more uncomfortable and disappointed with Fuji.  It was when I realized that I felt that I could no longer comfortably rely on my Fuji gear that I decided to fully make the switch to Leica, especially after using and loving the Q2.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 10:04 PM, qwerty said:

I find the Leica system much more intuitive and easier to navigate than Fuji's.  It just makes sense and is relatively easy to learn.  The Fuji system I found to be quite cumbersome in comparison, and the Leica is a lot more intuitive.  Shooting with Leica's amazing 28mm exclusively has been wonderfully eye-opening, and I've enjoyed being limited to that one focal length as I learn how to best use it.  I haven't taken many portraits with it yet, so I can't answer your specific question, but its clarity and ease of use is astounding.  I sometimes use the electronic zoom to shoot at 35mm and 50mm, and it's wonderful to have the option. I've also used the macro setting on the lens very successfully.  I use the exposure compensation dial a lot since I often prefer darker images.  Coming from the XT-1, you would also love the touch screen of the Q2.  One thing I miss is the tilt screen, but I'm very happy to deal with it since the Q2 has so many other wonderful qualities.  Another thing I miss are having ports.  The Q2 has none, so you can't plug anything into it, and for me that adds to its simplicity.  If you make the decision to get a Q2, I would recommend that you send away for the free manual as the camera comes with only a digital version.  I've found it very useful to have it with me, especially when first using the camera.  Below is an image I took at a local church when I first got the Q2.

Thanks for the reply Qwerty. Can't wait to shift to Leica.Just waiting for my Christmas Bonus depending on earnings this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.