APO-Summicron SL 2/35 alltime-testwinner in Germany

DirkS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In one of the most important foto-test-magazins of Germany, called COLORFOTO (11/19), the APO-Summicron 2/35 achieved unbelievable 113,5 points. This result is much better than all other lenses ever tested over the years (all manufactors/firms, all focal lengths) of this magazine. 

Nice, isn`t it? 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DirkS said:

In one of the most important foto-test-magazins of Germany, called COLORFOTO (11/19), the APO-Summicron 2/35 achieved unbelievable 113,5 points. This result is much better than all other lenses ever tested over the years (all manufactors/firms, all focal lengths) of this magazine. 

Nice, isn`t it? 🙂

That was obvious from the MTF's shown at the presentation when it was first announced.

They were basically a set of closely spaced parallel lines ...... :unsure:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I only was able to use it for one day at a Leica NYC workshop, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.   That and the 75 apo may have me switching from an A7r4 to the SL2 as a backup to my M10p!

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Ivar B:

Quite possibly, the APO 2/50 will score even higher.

Based on the MTF the APO Summicron 35mm is "better". However, the difference is less than 10% and thus not visible in practice. I cannot see any difference, even on the 47MP sensor of the S1R.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mls1483 said:

Based on the MTF the APO Summicron 35mm is "better". However, the difference is less than 10% and thus not visible in practice. I cannot see any difference, even on the 47MP sensor of the S1R.

They looked pretty indistinguishable to me when I downloaded the MTF's, particularly if you discount the 0.5m graphs which do not represent a distance anyone is actually going to use much of the time. The graphs are both better than the APO 50/2 which in practice I have always considered optically perfect from a practical photography point of view. 

I cannot see anyone complaining about the optical quality of any of the current SL prime lens line up .....

• Like 2

I really don't know if the current Summicron SL are good enough and wothwile to put them on the SL2 or S1R.... But wait, what else is...?

As a rule of thumb, everything above 80% is indistinguishable in photographic practice, I would say. The really interesting (but not really surprising) thing is indeed the better performance than the APO Summicron M 50mm. The Summicron SL are sharper than the Otus 55mm and 85m,  as is the Lumix S Pro 50mm f/1.4. But the APO Lanthar 65mm f/2 and 110mm f/2.5 are also sharper than the Otus lenses... Well, nowadays there are many sharp lenses out there, but most important is how they render.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing lens indeed

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 3:07 PM, mls1483 said:

I really don't know if the current Summicron SL are good enough and wothwile to put them on the SL2 or S1R....

Well, I can attest that the 35, 50 and 75 when used on the S1R with good technique (and IBIS) have still got resolution left over.  And the Leica folks talk about being ready to go to 100 MPx with these lenses.

(you can look for Moire to see if the lenses are trying to deliver information on a scale smaller than the 4.5 micron pixels.  They are.)

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Currently I simply do not swallow everything anymore that Leica offers. Yes, the MTFs for this lens are great. But for me the SL 16-35 is the more useful lens. It gives me all wide angles I need at a quality extremely close to the Summicron. Of course it is slower (regarding aperture), but maybe slightly faster regarding AF.  For my limited lust for perfection the zoom gives me enough IQ and much greater flexibility, and is more affordable than 2 or more primes (for a similar range).

If some one wants to prove that the Summicron is better than the zoom, I would be very much interested in seeing examples.

Also a comparison between the Summicron and the Sigma 1.2/35 would be very welcome. (I mean photo comparison, size comparison etc. is already clear).

Edited by caissa

vor 16 Stunden schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

Well, I can attest that the 35, 50 and 75 when used on the S1R with good technique (and IBIS) have still got resolution left over.  And the Leica folks talk about being ready to go to 100 MPx with these lenses.

(you can look for Moire to see if the lenses are trying to deliver information on a scale smaller than the 4.5 micron pixels.  They are.)

My quotation was ironical. I do have an S1R and Summicrons SL.

You are absolutely right: Taking some first shots with the 90mm APO Summicron SL, I noticed moiré on the Leica building (the one with the red dot in the Leitz Park).

On 10/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, caissa said:

Currently I simply do not swallow everything anymore that Leica offers. Yes, the MTFs for this lens are great. But for me the SL 16-35 is the more useful lens. It gives me all wide angles I need at a quality extremely close to the Summicron. Of course it is slower (regarding aperture), but maybe slightly faster regarding AF.  For my limited lust for perfection the zoom gives me enough IQ and much greater flexibility, and is more affordable than 2 or more primes (for a similar range).

If some one wants to prove that the Summicron is better than the zoom, I would be very much interested in seeing examples.

Also a comparison between the Summicron and the Sigma 1.2/35 would be very welcome. (I mean photo comparison, size comparison etc. is already clear).

If I remember correctly, I believe that Sean Reid will soon publish a test which includes the Sigma 1.2/35 and the Apo-Summicron-SL 2/35. I just took delivery of the Sigma lens. It is indeed huge, but extremely well built. I have not had the chance to test it yet, but I note that some reviewers are short of words when they try to describe performance, which supposedly is fantastic. Let us wait and see what Sean`s test will reveal. It is probably a safe bet that the Leica lens will be superior. But - by how much? Is it worth 3 x the price? Is whatever difference there might be in optical performance visible in daily use? 

I just acquired a very nice used SL and 24-90 zoom. I'm loving shooting my M primes on the SL. My most used lens is the M Summilux 35mm on my M10. I don"t see the need to buy the SL Sum-micron 35. Too big and heavy by comparison.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.