Leica M 10 off camera flash

tesiz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am Leica M 10 user. I need to flash rarely. You know that Leica Flash systems are expensive

Here my solution is ; I don't need TTL, I managed power of flash via manually. Nikon version of Godox flashes run on leica M 10 without problem

Godox  V860 II N flash ( for Nikon) lityum ion battery powered Powerful flash  built-in Godox X receiver/trigger. 

Godox X1 T N wireless trigger(For Nikon). I had a trigger from XT1 N (on my M 10) to V 860 II N and TT350 N . I can easily adjust to each power of flash by manually

Godox TT350 N flash, is a small 2xAA battery unit more similar in size to a Leica flash. (SF 40) . I had  a trigger on my camera hotshoe. It is small and very usefull. It suits for everday usage

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341876-REG/godox_tt350n_ttl_mirrorless_camera_flash.html/qa

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341867-REG/godox_v860ii_f_nikon_kit_v860ii_for_nikon_kit.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341966-REG/godox_x1t_n_ttl_remote_controller.html

I'm also an M10 shooter, but I use off camera flash frequently.

In controlled environments, I use Profoto lighting with the non-TTL Air Remote in the hot shoe. Interestingly, the stated flash sync speed of the M10 is 1/180th, but I've gotten reliable results even at 1/250th with the Profoto system.

For street photography, my favored setup includes a pair of FlashQ wireless remotes from LightPix Labs. The transmitter and receiver are both tiny and fit nicely in a small camera bag. The transmitter is hardly noticeable when mounted on the M10. The receiver adds a bit of height to whatever speedlight is used, but it's workable.

I have two Leica-branded flash units. My favorite is the SF 24D. It fits in the palm of your hand and has sufficient power for "in your face" portraits shot with a wide angle lens. A very useful feature of the 24D is that it has an "automatic" mode that adjusts the flash power for a specified exposure without needing TTL information from the camera. The two lithium batteries last a long time and it's easy to carry a set of spares.

The other Leica flash is the SF 58. This is a bigger, more powerful flash that also has an automatic mode that works without TTL. I reach for it when I'm shooting quickly with only a couple of seconds between exposures. Otherwise, it's a back up to the smaller SF 24D.

Leica branded flash units are significantly more expensive than non-OEM products, but will work in TTL mode with a digital M. Typically, I don't use TTL with flash, but I thought it was worth having that capability in a pinch.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I sometimes use TTL in a rush, but I use HSS a lot.  I've tried their SF40 is ok but not powerful enough, then tried SF64 which is terribly suck.  I don't understand why they don't open source their flash system or will they eventually?

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2020 at 3:36 PM, jaeger said:

I sometimes use TTL in a rush, but I use HSS a lot.  I've tried their SF40 is ok but not powerful enough, then tried SF64 which is terribly suck.  I don't understand why they don't open source their flash system or will they eventually?

The Nissin made SF60 is a different world from the less than wonderful Metz built SF64. The SF60 also works with the SF-C1 wireless commander, which can also work with Nissin's big hammerhead flash MG10, as long as both sets of firmware are fully updated. Metz sadly seem to have gone backwards from the days when they developed the innovative SCA system, so that various cameras could interface with various flashes, by just changing the SCA interface unit. I use a weird right angle mounting SCA352 unit with my Rolleiflex 3003 35mm system camera, which has the  flash shoe on the side plus a Metz MZ40i-2. 

Wilson

PS The SF60 also works well TTL with earlier film cameras, like my M7, R8 and R9. 

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Frankly I think Leica M10 does not have a flash trigger when the hot show is used for the Visoflex unit and that is a huge miss for me. I see the M10 as a system camera with loads of fabulous lenses available for it and I have 13 plus the bellows unit that they no longer make. I have recently needed to take loads of images of plates of food for a cookbook  and I have sold laods of things on EBay . I have studio lighting setup but cannot use it if I have the viso fitted. I met with Stefan Daneels and told him about my issue and suggested he fits an old type flash contact as we had on M4 for example....but his engineers say that there is no room which I cannot believe. Likeise I suggested a wireless approach and an app for the iPhone ...again the engineers say that is difficult. So in my view the Leica M is not a system camera that is great for portraits, taking images of things, it is a camera for street photography and landscapes and that limits its capabilities a lot. I guess the answer is to buy a SL2 but not sure I want to that just for a flash socket!. 

• 4 weeks later...