CL vs. Q2 which one to purchase?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to Leica after 20 years of SONY a7R / Nikon user, trying to decide what camera to get CL or Q2, what do you guys think? 

In Los Angeles, California, I do architectural photography / landscapes / street photography, I use to my good set of Zeiss and wide Voigtlander wide lenses, love zoom lenses 240mm., and I like 36mp quality.

CL and lenses it offers is fantastic for me, but APS-C is freaks me out even though images I took with CL where really impressive quality wise.

Q2 is looks like a great camera with great resolution, but fixed lens.

Hard to choose, any suggestions? Let me know! 

Depends entirely on your wishes. Do you want a top-class point and shoot with a fantastic lens and high resolution or do you want a top class versatile small APS-C camera that can take almost any lens, is optimized for M and R lenses and has a good range of native lenses?

• Like 5

For me it wouldn’t be a choice at all. The CL is the first APS-C camera from which I’ve seen results that can hardly be distinguished from M photo’s. So your idea that APS-C is inferior is obsolete. You forget that to have the full benefit of the three focal lengths (which is in fact eyewash) with a Q you crop a lot which is less image quality. Besides, I have mostly been able to tell the difference between an M photo and a Q photo in favor of M. The Q is very much money for value. You also tell that you like a lot of lenses, zooms, tele. Why would you consider a Q at all? Very nice camera to see indeed. 

• Like 1

You will receive many contrary answers. It would be well worth your while searching this forum for previous discussions and examples of work achieved. Personally I find the CL more versatile, giving you even wider angles if needed for architecture. The two cameras are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

Weird - "APS-C freaks me out". reminds me of the comments Barnack got when he introduced 24 x 36 miniature film... If you use Voigtlander and Zeiss M-type lenses on your A7 R, the resolution you get on the corners and edge zones of your images can only improve over the A7R by using the CL. And how large do you print?

8 hours ago, Viv said:

I have both the original Q and the CL.

Call me crazy if you like.

Great that you have two, my question is - how is CL handles night cityscapes images comparing with Q?  Is APSC on CL can do same quality as Q full frame in dark situations, or how much is difference? 

If I print I would easily without a doubt go with CL. I use my digital images to build 3D and 2D digital environments for advertising and film, so I need textures roofs, side of the buildings, panoramas, night city shots, areal shots. 

Edited by eev776
delete

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

Weird - "APS-C freaks me out". reminds me of the comments Barnack got when he introduced 24 x 36 miniature film... If you use Voigtlander and Zeiss M-type lenses on your A7 R, the resolution you get on the corners and edge zones of your images can only improve over the A7R by using the CL. And how large do you print?

If I print I would easily without a doubt go with CL. I use my digital images to build 3D and 2D digital environments for advertising and film, so I need textures roofs, side of the buildings, panoramas, night city shots, areal shots.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lct said:

Would you be really happy with 7MP 75mm pictures and no telephoto above? Just curious.

I know, that 75mm is just useless fake idea, you can do same by cropping in in your raw file.

3 hours ago, M10 for me said:

and why leaving the wonderful Sony A7 range?

I don't like SONY a7R for using it for last 4 years: 

after few years of use you can see how sloppy build body,

back screen is already went bad with bunch of dots and reflections,

I hate color of the images, rarely can get good night city shot, even using Zeiss lenses.

I was thinking to upgrade to a7R III, but final thoughts - NO MORE SONY, I had enough!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eev776 said:

I know, that 75mm is just useless fake idea, you can do same by cropping in in your raw file.

I would not say useless personally as one can compose in 75mm with this camera. Could be useful when i don't want to carry two or three lenses but 75mm files are too small then for my taste, although 7MP is not bad compared to the 6MP of my old R-D1 to be honest. A Q3 based upon a 35mm lens could interest me eventually.