Q2 battery stuck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m having this exact problem that happened to someone else with a q battery. There were no extra Q2 batteries anywhere to be found before I left for this trip. This is the only one I have. It is the Leica battery that came with the body. 

“I'm traveling and hoping to fix this problem without sending my new Q back to NJ.  I had a problem inserting the Leica battery but the camera turned on. When I attempted to remove the battery, it wouldn't budge. There is some wiggle room, but even pressing the release latch as the camera is upside down won't help (even with mild shaking). I called Leica and they said the battery may have swelled. I think the spring may be the culprit. I don't want to mess too much with this, but if anyone has a suggestion, I'd be most grateful. I'll be on the road for two weeks and looked forward to testing out my new Q. 

Edited October 28, 2015 by Kamera Klutter

• Like 1

On the off chance that you have not tried this, the Q2 battery removal is a two-step process (unlike the Q):

1 - release the latch and the battery pops loose from the body.

2 - tap the battery lightly into the body (not all the way in) and quickly release it. Now it is fully released and can be removed.

This setup prevents you from accidentally releasing the latch and having the battery fall out and be damaged.  The Leica Q battery setup is entirely different.

If you have done this and it won't release, yikes! Probably needs to be serviced.

Edited by bullmoon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bullmoon said:

On the off chance that you have not tried this, the Q2 battery removal is a two-step process (unlike the Q):

2 - tap the battery lightly into the body (not all the way in) and quickly release it. Now it is fully released and can be removed.

This setup prevents you from accidentally releasing the latch and having the battery fall out and be damaged.  The Leica Q battery setup is entirely different.

If you have done this and it won't release, yikes! Probably needs to be serviced.

Bullmoon.
You have lately posted numerous really helpful comments to newbie’s. Good job! 
Dan

• Like 3

Jeff,

First off, welcome to the forum! 

If bullmoon's suggestion doesn't work, give this a try.  Stick a piece of duct tape on the exposed end of the battery, leaving yourself a one inch flap of tape to pull on.  Release the battery latch and when the battery pops partially out, use the loose end of the duct tape to pull the battery free.  Duct tape is one of the stickiest tapes in existence and it may have enough adhesion strength to pull the battery free.

If that doesn't work, you might try using a piece of 3/4 in. to 1 in. wide velcro in the place of duct tape.  Velcro has an insane amount of adhesion power on the sticky back side of the fabric.

I have never tried the above, it is just an idea that came to mind.  Let us know how things work out...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No word from Jeff Wagner for nearly a week   Battery probably released, but I wouldn’t be assuming that Jeff doesn’t know How to normally release the battery.    The battery can only be trapped due to tightness.  There are no other latches.    I would attach a short lead to the exposed edge of the battery with Superglue.   Then gently pull the battery  out.   Then remove the lead.  

• Like 1

I’ve just taken another look at a picture of the battery for the Q2.   It has a groove the length of the battery on one face which appears to accept the locking mechanism. If the piece that rides the groove is damaged, then access to be able to release the battery is inaccessible.    
possibly a flawed design and getting Jeff’s battery out will be a problem.   Hopefully, leica will have solution.

i hope Jeff will keep us up to date with developments.  

Edited by lucerne

Maybe!
but now I think there may be a fault with the locking mechanism which can look and feel as if it has released, but in fact is still retaining the battery.   Take a look at a Q2 battery (google search) when not in the camera and observe the shape of the channel on the face of the battery, and into which the locking arm fits and slides.   It isn’t straight, and at the locking point it changes direction.  I don’t think that this channel is visible or accessible when the battery is inside the camera.  Hence the problem of releasing the battery.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lucerne

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply to my post. Bullmoon was correct- it was a simple question of my ignorance of the battery compartment’s design. I had not had trouble before the one time it happened and when I did as instructed everything worked fine. 
by the way, China is one GIANT amazing photo opportunity for anyone who has not experienced it before. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
On 10/8/2019 at 7:05 AM, bullmoon said:

Perfect - the quick start guidance needs to say 'tap the battery lightly into the body' not 'press down lightly on the battery' with the diagram of the camera lens down - this causes confusion. TY bullion.

• 11 months later...