Jump to content
S.L.Dixon

My M6's light meter is malfunctioning (I think). Help!

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have had a M6 (serial number is in the 1665000 range) for about 7 years now and to be honest, haven't used it a lot in the last few years, but fired it up again recently and noticed that I think the light meter is functioning odd. In the past, I could press the shutter button when the film wasn't wound on and the light meter would activate, briefly, and then I could set the exposure. Now it doesn't do that, but when I wind film on, it will activate the light meter and not turn off until a photo is taken.

I ran a roll of film through and it works fine - i.e the exposures were fine - it just seems to activate differently that it used to. Is this a common thing anyone knows about?

I live in Melbourne, Australia and it's tough to get a repairer here who will look at an M6.  Any advice would be REALLY helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Scott

(Also, I added a photo of my camera just 'cause it's a nice looking thing.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that the light meter is switched off when you push the wind lever all the way in and/or the film is not wound on, and will only activate when the film is wound on and the lever in the active pulled-out position. In other words, the camera is behaving as it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! Thank you. I guess I just misunderstood / misremembered how I used it. 

Thank you so much. I knew this was the right place to come for an answer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, S.L.Dixon said:

Hi,

I have had a M6 (serial number is in the 1665000 range) for about 7 years now and to be honest, haven't used it a lot in the last few years, but fired it up again recently and noticed that I think the light meter is functioning odd. In the past, I could press the shutter button when the film wasn't wound on and the light meter would activate, briefly, and then I could set the exposure. Now it doesn't do that, but when I wind film on, it will activate the light meter and not turn off until a photo is taken.

I ran a roll of film through and it works fine - i.e the exposures were fine - it just seems to activate differently that it used to. Is this a common thing anyone knows about?

I live in Melbourne, Australia and it's tough to get a repairer here who will look at an M6.  Any advice would be REALLY helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Scott

(Also, I added a photo of my camera just 'cause it's a nice looking thing.)

Welcome to LUF.

As Jaapv as eluded too your M6 is functioning as per normal. Looks in great condition.

As for servicing, yes they are far and few between in Melbourne town, however they are about.

Try

Camera Exchange http://cameraexchange.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=58_100_111&product_id=116

European Camera Service http://europeancameraservice.com/

Camera Clinic https://www.cameraclinic.com.au/index.php/en/

I have used Camera Clinic and Camera Exchange in the past.

Best

Eddie J - a fellow Melbournian.

Edited by EddieJ
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie J,

Thank you for all your help. Really appreciate it. I took it into Camera Clinic last night. We'll see what they say.

All the best,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 1:17 AM, jaapv said:

Note that the light meter is switched off when you push the wind lever all the way in and/or the film is not wound on, and will only activate when the film is wound on and the lever in the active pulled-out position. In other words, the camera is behaving as it should.

Does the M6 light meter really depend in any way on the position of the lever?  My understanding is that the meter will activate if the shutter is cocked, and the shutter button pressed to the first detente, regardless of the position of the lever.  The meter then remains on for ca. 10 seconds or until the shutter fires.

A light meter that will not deactivate for a long period of time, as the OP suggests, is in my opinion problematic, and will soon run down the battery.

But this is from memory, I’ve not read the instructions for a long time, so may be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ll check it out on mine as soon asI get home in a couple of weeks. I’mfairly sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, M9reno said:

Does the M6 light meter really depend in any way on the position of the lever?  My understanding is that the meter will activate if the shutter is cocked, and the shutter button pressed to the first detente, regardless of the position of the lever.  The meter then remains on for ca. 10 seconds or until the shutter fires.

A light meter that will not deactivate for a long period of time, as the OP suggests, is in my opinion problematic, and will soon run down the battery.

But this is from memory, I’ve not read the instructions for a long time, so may be wrong.

Your memory serves you correctly.

Once the film advance lever & shutter is cocked, regardless of where the film advance lever is, the meter will work once the shutter button is pressed lightly. Once the shutter has been triggered and not advanced then the light meter will not activate. Therefore extended battery life (meter).

As I posted in the I Love My M6! thread.

A neat trick - you can advance the film and simply keep a lens cap on the lens - no meter activation. This will however not save you from accidental shutter release and a wasted frame.

I would recommend NOT advancing the film.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've missed a couple of photos by not advancing the film after a shot.

When I put my M6 into a camera bag, the lens cap will always be on and the shutter speed set to "B", that way the meter will not operate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the film hasn't been advanced and/or you set the shutter speed at B, the meter is off. Having the lens cap on or the film wind lever in any position doesn't make any difference in that regard. The Nikon FM2/FE2 have an on/off switch built in to the film wind lever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By robsonj
      - Leica M Typ 240
      - Screen protector (already on the camera, the protector has some surface scratches)
      - ThumbsUp grip
      - Leather case (unused)
      - Olympus EVF2 (logo removed, see pic)
      - RRS M240 L Bracket
      - Battery
      - Battery Charger
      - Neck strap (unused)
      - Original packaging and documents
      Everything is in fully working condition. As you can see there is some brassing on the body. The EVF2 I purchased used, the previous owner had removed the Olympus logo. The EVF works perfectly, though I didn't use it very much. The base plate is in excellent condition, it along with the leather case have been stored in the original packaging unused, I used the RRS baseplate on the camera.
      Price includes PayPal fees and insured shipping via FedEx to CONUS.
      Shutter count is hard to know, from the numbering of my dog files I'd say its in the 5000-10000 range.
      Happy to take additional photos and answer any questions.
      I have many sample shots taken with this camera on my Flickr feed for reference... https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=26449190%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=Leica M 240
    • By Winfoto
      Leica Q, neuwertig, inclusive Original-Verpackung zu verkaufen.

    • By tom0511
      Aufgrund Umstieg auf SL2 biete ich hier an:
      Leica SL Gehäuse
      sehr guter Zustand, nur privat und sehr wenig genutzt Es war von Anfang an ein Displayschutzfolie auf dem Display mit allem Originalzubehör und Originalverpackung gekauft im deutschen Fachhandel (Fotogena, Worms) Die Kamera kann auch bei mir in Bensheim nach Absprache gerne besichtigt werden. Fragen bitte gerne stellen.
      Am liebsten wäre mir Abholung gegen Barzahlung. Versand bei Vorkasse wäre auch möglich. 
      Bei Paypal müssten wir über die Gebühren reden.
      Wer nicht die 47MP der SL2 braucht, kommt hier zu einem sehr günstigen Preis den Einstieg in das SL System. Die Flexibilität - SL Objektive, M-Objektive, Voigtländer, Nikon etc., der tolle Sucher und die Leica Bildqualität und Bedienphilosophie machen für mich die SL/SL2 zu einer der universellsten Kameras, die man heute kaufen kann.
    • By Winfoto
      Leica Q gebraucht, neuewertig, incl. Original-Verpackung
    • By Winfoto
      Leica Q gebraucht, neuewertig, incl. Original-Verpackung
×
×
  • Create New...