A Couple of Lens Questions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok I have gotten a Leca bug in my head I am looking for 2 lenses.

A wide angle, I am currently using a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 with a Nikon adapter, nice lens but it doesn't do as well on manual focus with the Leica as it does on the Nikon with auto focus, I think the focus scales are slightly off and with this lens focus assist is useless as everything is in focus. So to replace it the obvious answer is the 11-23 but money is tight, property take time in New England. I thought about the 18mm which is f2.8 but doesn't have the best reviews, also thought about the 18mm Zeiss Distagon ZM which is a few hundred $ less than the 18 Elmarit, any experiences with this lens, issues it is f4, will it fit on a CL?

The other lens is a Leica M 50, a friend past away and willed me her M3, just had it repaired, shutter wasn't working. The native lens for this is a 50, of course I want this to work with my CL. I have a 55 7 Artisans for the CL. My go to when I needed a 50 with film Leicas was a DR Summicron, owned 2 sold them both, that was 20 years ago and I understand it doesn't work well with the CL and it is common to have internal lens fogging with the '50s era lens. I am not a 50mm guy on 35, why I had M2s. Could just get a 35 finder I guess.

Thanks

What is your source of (mis-)information regarding your dismissal of the CL 18mm lens?  Many users like its size, weight and performance.  I have a 1960s 50mm Summicron which works well on my CL. As an effective 75mm short portrait lens with pleasing character, it is a joy to use where modest extra reach is needed.

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Get a 150-ies Canon LTM 50/1.8. It works really well opn the CL, costs peanuts and rarely has fogging issues.

But of course that won't work for his M3 - seems he wants a 50mm for both M3 and CL.

5 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

The other lens is a Leica M 50, a friend past away and willed me her M3, just had it repaired, shutter wasn't working. The native lens for this is a 50, of course I want this to work with my CL. I have a 55 7 Artisans for the CL. My go to when I needed a 50 with film Leicas was a DR Summicron, owned 2 sold them both, that was 20 years ago and I understand it doesn't work well with the CL and it is common to have internal lens fogging with the '50s era lens. I am not a 50mm guy on 35, why I had M2s. Could just get a 35 finder I guess.

Thanks

I used DR Summicron on the CL with no issues whatsoever.  So much choice in 50mm.. have you thought about the new(ish) CV 50mm 1.2.  I recently found a collapsible 50 Summicron. that I really like for its size and rendering on the CL, so much choice, so many opinions, good luck with your choice.  The 50mm thread under M lenses would be worth checking out.

Edited by Boojay

I second that endorsement for the CL 18mm. It’s my standard lens on my CL. I find the focus very accurate and fast where I am primarily using it wide open or nearly so.  I am not aware of less than positive reviews on it. Anecdotally, I find its results excellent.  The single point that I like less is that the supplied (and effective) lens hood is bulky when fitted if you want the most compact package to carry and makes the lens a little less convenient to dismount if stored reversed. That’s trivial and easily addressable of course

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hoppyman
Typos
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Boojay said:

But of course that won't work for his M3 - seems he wants a 50mm for both M3 and CL.

I used DR Summicron on the CL with no issues whatsoever.  So much choice in 50mm.. have you thought about the new(ish) CV 50mm 1.2.  I recently found a collapsible 50 Summicron. that I really like for its size and rendering on the CL, so much choice, so many opinions, good luck with your choice.  The 50mm thread under M lenses would be worth checking out.

Think I was being a bit dim - of course as Jaapv states, with the correct adaptor the Canon 50 LTM would operate fine on M3.... senior moment here.  Apologies both.