Looks like I need to get a wet cleaning kit...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/5/2019 at 8:29 AM, andybarton said:

Absolutely typical.

I have had this M240 for nearly 5 years and I’ve never needed to wet clean the sensor. In preparation for my annual holiday, I though that I’d give it a Giotto blow and an Arctic Butterfly. There were only a few specks of dust on the sensor, but it’s always good to start out as clean as possible, of course.

Well, it would appear that the A B tip must have become contaminated, despite it obviously always being in its case.

So, tomorrow, I’m going to have to go out and find a wet cleaning kit and take a brave pill.

What a complete PITA

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I had similar experience earlier this year. Didn’t touch the sensor in 4 years and used only rocket blower. But there were few specs that didn’t budge. I tried to wet clean with expired swipes and it left gooey deposit on sensor! I didn’t have any other cleaning fluid and I was off to a photo trip. I used lens cleaner to somewhat clean this gooey stuff. After the trip I cleaned it with proper sensor cleaning fluid from VSGO kit.

Lesson learned. 

Edited by jmahto
  • Thanks 1

Today I decided to a dust check on my two M bodies.

The new ME240 was okay - only had it since July.

There was a tiny spec showing at the very edge of the frame I decided to leave that. Glad I did after what happened with the M262.

My M262 is just over 3 years old, this was a different matter. I have not checked it for 18 month, however, I have had to use the spotting tool a bit in Lightroom a bit on the sky particularly on stopped down shots and the dust check showed up three large spots. 

When I last gave it a dust out I used a Giotto rocket blower.

I pulled the blower out of the bag pressed it a few times to ensure it hadn't ingested any dust and gave a few blows into the camera.

There were now the three original specs plus a couple more small ones. 

After several blows and checks the dust on the sensor was increasing!   

I now have about five large specks and 10 fine specks!

Using the Giotto seemed to be adding dust to the sensor so I have  stopped. 

Not sure a Giotto is a good idea now. ☹️

I am scared of causing any damage by touching the sensor and have never used a wet kit.

So it looks like I will be off for a trip along the M62 to Manchester for clean out in the next couple of weeks. 

It is a great shop with very helpful staff - but I just wish it wasn't in the city centre!!

Parking and getting in and out is such a pain, but it is probably less stressful than touching the sensor!     

John

38 minutes ago, jhluxton said:

Today I decided to a dust check on my two M bodies.

The new ME240 was okay - only had it since July.

There was a tiny spec showing at the very edge of the frame I decided to leave that. Glad I did after what happened with the M262.

My M262 is just over 3 years old, this was a different matter. I have not checked it for 18 month, however, I have had to use the spotting tool a bit in Lightroom a bit on the sky particularly on stopped down shots and the dust check showed up three large spots. 

When I last gave it a dust out I used a Giotto rocket blower.

I pulled the blower out of the bag pressed it a few times to ensure it hadn't ingested any dust and gave a few blows into the camera.

There were now the three original specs plus a couple more small ones. 

After several blows and checks the dust on the sensor was increasing!   

I now have about five large specks and 10 fine specks!

Using the Giotto seemed to be adding dust to the sensor so I have  stopped. 

Not sure a Giotto is a good idea now. ☹️

I am scared of causing any damage by touching the sensor and have never used a wet kit.

So it looks like I will be off for a trip along the M62 to Manchester for clean out in the next couple of weeks. 

It is a great shop with very helpful staff - but I just wish it wasn't in the city centre!!

Parking and getting in and out is such a pain, but it is probably less stressful than touching the sensor!     

John

If you have blown dust on sensor should not need wet clean. Try Eyelead or similar gel pad - it's what Leica use.

3 hours ago, pedaes said:

If you have blown dust on sensor should not need wet clean. Try Eyelead or similar gel pad - it's what Leica use.

Unfortunately this review sets the alarm bells ringing:

"I can only give this 3 starts as it is also promoted for use with Leica (as marked on the packaging) and it left very heavy residue on the sensor of a Leica M10 and also Leica M 262 I tried to clean - luckily any residue is easily and completely removed with a few passes of a microfibre swab and sensor cleaning fluid, however for a moment was quite stressful. In this instance the Eyelead felt like it was sticking to the sensor surface, using the same successful technique used on the A7s II , and it was also making an audible sound when pulled away."

How many other people people use the Eyelead?

John

10 hours ago, jhluxton said:

Unfortunately this review sets the alarm bells ringing:

"I can only give this 3 starts as it is also promoted for use with Leica (as marked on the packaging) and it left very heavy residue on the sensor of a Leica M10 and also Leica M 262 I tried to clean - luckily any residue is easily and completely removed with a few passes of a microfibre swab and sensor cleaning fluid, however for a moment was quite stressful. In this instance the Eyelead felt like it was sticking to the sensor surface, using the same successful technique used on the A7s II , and it was also making an audible sound when pulled away."

How many other people people use the Eyelead?

John

Eyelead are the gold standard but there are other makes. I can assure you it is what they use in Leica service departments - speak to Leica Customer Care at Duke Street. They are designed to remove dust - not oil or grease. Just trying to be helpful. 

I have finally had the chance to take the camera to Stephens for a clean.

I did end up taking the camera to the US on holiday and did take about 1,000 shots with it over the two weeks. Now, I have to thank Ben for the hard work he had to put into sorting it out. The dirt and smudge on the sensor are not noticeable in most circumstances as I was lucky with their position on the sensor, but they did take a lot of getting off.

As an aside, sensor cleans are f.o.c. at official Leica Stores now (at least in the UK).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It took me 2yrs and viewing several videos to build up the nerve to do a wet clean, sensor really needed it.  Now its 2nd nature but is rarely needed.

Gel pad for specks works very well.  I haven't used the blower in ages, is basically useless - unless you're fond of fixing spots in Abode in post.

I like a clean machine!

18 hours ago, sblutter said:

It took me 2yrs and viewing several videos to build up the nerve to do a wet clean, sensor really needed it.  Now its 2nd nature but is rarely needed.

Gel pad for specks works very well.  I haven't used the blower in ages, is basically useless - unless you're fond of fixing spots in Abode in post.

I like a clean machine!

The blower is very useful for removing things like mini-grains of sand before wet cleaning, as those  might scratch the sensor when dragged across the surface during a wet clean. It does not "deposit dust" if used properly, i.e. with the mouth of the camera facing downwards

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, andybarton said:

I have had this M240 for nearly 5 years and I’ve never needed to wet clean the sensor.

If you've never wet cleaned it before I imagine what you've done is spread oil around that has flicked off the shutter, not the fault of the AB brush which isn't meant to remove oil. I guess after five years you've also got rid of all excess oil and it won't happen again, so get the AB out of the bin! 

• Like 2

Reading from the beginning of the thread, if my understanding is correct, ab used an AB and the results look, well, awful - but of course we don't have a 'before' picture to make a comparison.

I've just watched YouTube on the use of the AB, and the commentary warns about contamination of the bristles and the need to clean them using 'special' fluid supplied by AB. Doesn't mention if the special sauce comes with the AB when you purchase the device, or how often the bristles need cleaning, and how to determine when the brush head needs attention without really close inspection? Before using the AB, and every time thereafter, I guess it pays to clean the head and allow it to dry, and maybe clean the plastic case because that too could become contaminated. 

The risk of course is that If the sensor becomes contaminated, such as in ab's experience, it inevitably means more work, or even a trip to the camera hospital.

Today I have just chugged down the M62 to to Manchester to have my M262 cleaned out at Leica Manchester after I managed to blow more dust onto the sensor using a Giotto blower than was already on it.

I asked about cleaning kits but they said it was better that I just bring it in and they will do a free clean for customers once every three months.

Only hassle I have with going there that is that traffic and parking can be difficult.

But I must admit it isn't so bad on Saturdays, previously I had only visited the store on weekdays. 

So if it needs another clean I'll go Saturdays. They are very good at that shop.

John

1 hour ago, jhluxton said:

Today I have just chugged down the M62 to to Manchester to have my M262 cleaned out at Leica Manchester after I managed to blow more dust onto the sensor using a Giotto blower than was already on it.

I asked about cleaning kits but they said it was better that I just bring it in and they will do a free clean for customers once every three months.

Only hassle I have with going there that is that traffic and parking can be difficult.

But I must admit it isn't so bad on Saturdays, previously I had only visited the store on weekdays. 

So if it needs another clean I'll go Saturdays. They are very good at that shop.

John

That's another recommendation, adding to what Andy Barton said earlier. My M240 came from another dealer so I'm wondering if the sensor cleaning is for their own loyal customers, or is it an open invite irrespective?

Out of interest, was it a clean whilst you wait, by appointment, or did you have to leave it and call back? 

On 11/9/2019 at 3:15 PM, jhluxton said:

Ah, the good old 'quid pro quo'. You get a free sensor clean and they have somebody in the shop browsing. 'It will be another fifteen minutes sir', or just enough time for them to spot a weakness. 'Good evening dear, I got my sensor cleaned for free, what's what, oh that, just a little something I picked up, a lens, no no, don't be silly, cameras can't work without a(nother) lens'.

You need some swabs, two solutions, one for oily and sticky smears, and a general cleaner to finish the job off, and an Eyelead for everyday cleaning of floaty dust. Armed with those and the instructions you'll pretty quickly come to understand that people who clean sensors in shops don't sit for a Degree in the subject.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 4:27 PM, Steve Ricoh said:

That's another recommendation, adding to what Andy Barton said earlier. My M240 came from another dealer so I'm wondering if the sensor cleaning is for their own loyal customers, or is it an open invite irrespective?

Out of interest, was it a clean whilst you wait, by appointment, or did you have to leave it and call back? 

No you just turn up. When I arrived there were a couple of others in front who had come for a clean and as there was only two people in the shop that day, when I have been before there is usually three. They asked me to come back in an hour. The Christmas Market was on nearby so it was easy to kill the time. I actually came back after after about 50 minutes. I am not saur if it is available for all on a free basis or just customers. I have bought both my M262 and ME240 there. 

John

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Ah, the good old 'quid pro quo'. You get a free sensor clean and they have somebody in the shop browsing. 'It will be another fifteen minutes sir', or just enough time for them to spot a weakness. 'Good evening dear, I got my sensor cleaned for free, what's what, oh that, just a little something I picked up, a lens, no no, don't be silly, cameras can't work without a(nother) lens'.

You need some swabs, two solutions, one for oily and sticky smears, and a general cleaner to finish the job off, and an Eyelead for everyday cleaning of floaty dust. Armed with those and the instructions you'll pretty quickly come to understand that people who clean sensors in shops don't sit for a Degree in the subject.

I did actually buy something a Monovid - but it wasn't due to browsing it was already decided before I went as I wanted to spend some funds received for my  birthday 60th Birthday. 😊

While I understand the concerns many will have about cleaning their sensors, I think too much is made of it. For me it's a simple 3 step process:

1. Clean the lens throat with the shutter closed using a brush and blower. If you can see any dust left, you're not done.

2. Open the shutter and use the blower only to remove as much dust as you can from the sensor, especially if it might be gritty.

3. Wet clean the sensor using a swab which is fully damp but not dripping wet. Working quickly to avoid it drying out, swipe slowly forwards, then backwards so that the two sides are used; apply just enough pressure to slightly bend the swab handle.

There, it's done. Never a problem.

Edited by marknorton
  • Like 2