Difference between P and AUTO on CL

All I could find is a 'Snapshot' program......page 49/50

Scene modes

Besides the ‘normal’ program mode P, the menu item provides you with nine additional program mode options which ensure especially simple and accurate photography. One of these is a ‘snapshot’ program intended for general use:  (default setting). The other eight are customized for the specific needs of common types of subjects, another for camera use mounted on a spotting scope.

How this differs from 'P' heaven only knows, I've never used it.

Edited by Dave in Wales

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I understand it, Auto is completely automatic, no changes possible. The camera chooses everything, including focus and metering. As mentioned previously it is part of scene mode.

P - Program? You can change the aperture or shutter speed by turning one of the top dials. I believe you can also select metering and focus. Don’t have my camera with me to verify.

6 hours ago, DAVIDMC100 said:

I have been using my CL for about a year but recently I have wondered what is the difference between the "AUTO" setting and P setting in regards exposure programming. I can't find anything in the manual. Any have any info?

P setting just follows the programmed exposure line. Scene modes customize the programmed line for more specific situations. Scene mode ‘Auto’ attempts to detect from light-dark balances in the image field what kind of specific scene the lens is framing ... it will likely always default to the standard P line unless exceptional characteristics in the image field are strong. 

Shooting just one or two test exposures will never display all the variations Scene "Auto" can produce.

(Scene modes, Program mode, and Shutter priority modes are parts of the CL capabilities I do not use because I do not have any native lenses.

G

Edited by ramarren