Summilux 50 mm 1.4 pre Asph on CL?

Goa8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it worth looking for this glass for the CL? Its an M lens  used on the CL with a crop factor - yes.

So it will be intersting as a portrait lens. What advantage do you as a user of this lens see in buying this older lens.

I've read a review from Thosten Overgaard who is very critical using this iconic M lens on a CL.  

But experiences would be nice to have....

What baloney - I use the Summilux 50 asph and it renders excellently on the CL. And the Summarit 50 1.5
If those two lenses are fine on the camera it is a certainty that the pre-asph will do exactly what you expect.

In fact, his whole CL review is weird - to put it politely.

• Like 4

Yes let's leave mr Overgaard out of the discussion - the reason I ask specific  for the older Summilux 50 mm 1.4 is for your experiences with this lens on the CL. It would be nice. It seems difficult to finde one, and it seems to be quite pricy - but I will be ready to pay - if someone could convince me 🙂

The Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph is a very good portrait lens on the CL. I have both v2 and v3 that can be used with no problem on this body. The lens is bit soft at f/1.4 which is fine if you don't want to show the little skin imperfections of your models. At f/2 and on it is more or less on par with Summicron 50/2 v4 and v5 lenses in the centre of the frame as far as sharpness is concerned. Edges and corners are softer below f/8 though so it is not a lens i would use for landscapes below f/8 or perhaps f/5.6 on the CL. I say perhaps because i don't use much this lens on the CL. I prefer the ZM 50/1.5 on it because it has less CA, less softness at edges and corners and it is also more compact than the Summilux but it is also a bit softer than the latter at full aperture in the centre of the frame. Matter of tastes as usual.

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 1