Telemetric

Leica M10-P shutter life expectancy

4 hours ago, Telemetric said:

Hi everybody!

Just curious about M10-P shutter life expectancy.

Anyone knows it?

Thanks a lot!

On the basis that every shot you take could be your last shot, or the cameras last shot, does it matter? Off the cuff I'd say many more shots than you'd think and the camera will still be going strong long after you either jump ship or buy another Leica.

To be honest, I don’t care at all. A friend of mine has asked me that and I said him “I‘m dure in l-camera-forum will know it” but I guess is a secret better kept than the Coca Cola formula :D

Btw, I don’t sell my Leicas. For me are masterpieces. I love to keep the object. 

On 10/4/2019 at 6:13 PM, Telemetric said:

To be honest, I don’t care at all. A friend of mine has asked me that and I said him “I‘m dure in l-camera-forum will know it” but I guess is a secret better kept than the Coca Cola formula :D

Btw, I don’t sell my Leicas. For me are masterpieces. I love to keep the object. 

It's a good practical question. Something I would like to know too for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anyway to reliably determine shutter count for ourselves. So a mute point which is too bad since it's pretty easy to determine the same with other camera brands and often questioned when one is selling the camera to the next owner. I think 500,000 is a common rating a see with some other modern mirrorless cameras. 

E.g., Just drag and drop the last image taken with a Sony camera here and Viola "shutter/image count" is returned.

http://tools.science.si

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Long enough life to make it to trade in on the M11. :)

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:59 PM, LBJ2 said:

It's a good practical question. Something I would like to know too for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anyway to reliably determine shutter count for ourselves. So a mute point which is too bad since it's pretty easy to determine the same with other camera brands and often questioned when one is selling the camera to the next owner. I think 500,000 is a common rating a see with some other modern mirrorless cameras. 

E.g., Just drag and drop the last image taken with a Sony camera here and Viola "shutter/image count" is returned.

http://tools.science.si

500k is definitely not a common rating. It is the rating in the latest Sony mirrorless cameras, yes, and it is a rating based on multiple factors, for example, always using EFCS.

The more sane and "normal" ratings are typically between 150k-200k, and I expect the same from the M10/-P shutters.
I've sent many Leicas in for servicing, but it has never been because the shutter has died... Other problems usually show up way before that.

I've owned an M8.2 & an MM v.1 both of which have had to be sent back to Germany for shutter replacement so they can fail. The MM is still going strong but it's a valid question. When selling a digital-M camera I'm always asked the shutter count. With digital I shoot much more than film in a single session so I can understand why..

Shutter failure does not seem to be related to shutter count. Shutter wear would be, but has never been reported.

As far as I am aware Leica uses (Nidec) Copal shutters. The top line is supposed to be designed for 150.000 actuations. Years ago an M8 was reported in this forum with 310.000 actuations and no obvious signs of wear.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:43 AM, jaapv said:

Years ago an M8 was reported in this forum with 310.000 actuations and no obvious signs of wear.

Just a worn-out index finger. 😄

Pete.

Today my beloved M10-P started making photos that look like this.  It's 13 months old. 

I assume it's a shutter problem and camera now needs a 3-6 month vacation in Wetzlar :(

You need to come out from under the bed. 😄

Seriously though, I assume that you weren't shooting with flash and it's not a flash synch speed problem?

Pete.

Unfortunately not under the bed and not with a flash (I don't own a flash).  It's occurring at different shutter speeds and with fresh batteries.  And the curtain blocks at different positions:

Your camera is still under warranty. Send it in and nicely ask for a quick return. 3 - 6 months would in my view be absurdly long.

I'm sure there's another thread about this somewhere and the 'official' figure quoted was 50K although many will have shutter counts well in excess of this.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, wizard said:

... Send it in and nicely ask for a quick return. 3 - 6 months would in my view be absurdly long.

I sent Leica lenses that became loose in for warranty adjustment to the Avondale, NJ Leica repair center. They repaired the lenses and shipped them back to me two days after they received them. That was impressive.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.