Jump to content
Chuck Albertson

Proposed US tariffs on lenses from Germany

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After the go-ahead from the WTO, the US announced new duties on selected EU products, as a result of the Airbus/Boeing subsidies spat (https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/enforcement/301Investigations/EU_Large_Civil_Aircraft_Final_Product_List.pdf). These are to go into effect on October 18, unless the parties negotiate a resolution in the meantime. Among the items that will be subject to an additional 25 percent duty are (specific to German products):

9002.11.90

Objective lenses and parts & access. thereof, for cameras, projectors, or photographic enlargers or reducers, except projection, nesoi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not an "additional" duty, as lensed for "cameras, projectors or photographic enlargers or reducers" (HS 9002.11.60.00) are currently duty-free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "good" news is, that the 25% duty are not added on the retail price, but on the transfer price, which is substantially lower. Nevertheless, for the Leica community in the US it is a blow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 9:03 PM, AndreasG said:

The "good" news is, that the 25% duty are not added on the retail price, but on the transfer price, which is substantially lower. Nevertheless, for the Leica community in the US it is a blow.

Is the transfer price the cost to the importer? 

 This news was enough for me to pull the trigger and purchase a lens I've been coveting for many years, a 50mm Summilux Asph in Chrome.  Back when the M9 was current and new lenses were rare commodities I had an order for a Chrome version but after several months of waiting a black aluminum became available and I purchased it.   The aluminum is a great lens but the chrome looks so good and has the extra heft making it feel more substantial, I know it's not. 

Anyone else buying prior to the new tariffs?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this case, it would be duty on the wholesale price Leica USA pays to the mother ship (I'm assuming that's how their supply chain works).

I've already made my lens purchase for this year. I hope that by the time the 24 SL goes on sale, those tariffs will be gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If these tariffs are "proposed" tariffs, do people in the U.S. have a way to express their opposition to them and hopefully derail them before they are instituted? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

If these tariffs are "proposed" tariffs, do people in the U.S. have a way to express their opposition to them and hopefully derail them before they are instituted? 

 

Tweet????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 12:51 AM, Herr Barnack said:

If these tariffs are "proposed" tariffs, do people in the U.S. have a way to express their opposition to them and hopefully derail them before they are instituted? 

 

They're no longer proposed tariffs, they went into effect 10/18 and, according to my local dealer, are making their way into the prices for some Leica lenses already. Same for my favorite Irish cheddar.

Edited by Chuck Albertson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discussed in various threads. e.g.,

For SL lenses, some are safe for now with ample dealer stock.... SL 75, SL90, 24-90 zoom, etc.... but the SL 35  and SL 50 Summicrons are not generally available and will be subject to increases when next shipped from Leica to dealers (according to PopFlash, at least).

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Monday, the WTO issued a report on the Airbus subsidy case, which said the EU is still out of compliance with its subsidy ruling. As a result, the US Trade Rep said the government was reviewing whether to impose tariffs on additional EU goods, or increase the existing tariffs on the goods that were hit on 10/18 (such as German lenses). As I recall from a few months ago, the US published a huge list of EU goods that were subject to the tariffs, and the goods that had tariffs placed on them on 10/18 were just a subset of that list. I think they have the ability to mix'n'match goods to slap tariffs on pretty much at will.

This is separate from the US threat, also announced today, to slap 100% tariffs on certain French goods, to protest the French proposal to levy a 3% tax on tech companies' ad revenue in France.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 5:46 AM, wattsy said:

It's as if we've stepped back into the 19th century.

After today it seems more like we've stepped into a sand pit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 4:07 AM, Chuck Albertson said:

On Monday, the WTO issued a report on the Airbus subsidy case, which said the EU is still out of compliance with its subsidy ruling. As a result, the US Trade Rep said the government was reviewing whether to impose tariffs on additional EU goods, or increase the existing tariffs on the goods that were hit on 10/18 (such as German lenses). As I recall from a few months ago, the US published a huge list of EU goods that were subject to the tariffs, and the goods that had tariffs placed on them on 10/18 were just a subset of that list. I think they have the ability to mix'n'match goods to slap tariffs on pretty much at will.

This is separate from the US threat, also announced today, to slap 100% tariffs on certain French goods, to protest the French proposal to levy a 3% tax on tech companies' ad revenue in France.

This kind of thing is so pointless. In the end the bill is paid by the consumers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Thursday, the US Trade Representative published the new list of items that may have import tariffs assessed due to the WTO finding that the EU is still out of compliance with the WTO rulings on aircraft subsidies: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2019-12-12/pdf/2019-26741.pdf

Annex I lists all the products that were hit by tariffs on October 18, including German-manufactured lenses and (wait for it) tweezers. These are being considered for additional duties of up to 100 percent. The TR also invites public comment on whether any of the products listed should be dropped from the list.

Annex II lists additional products that may be hit with up to 100 percent tariffs. What jumped out at me were binoculars (made in any EU country) and Irish whiskies (Bushmills, FFS!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 11:29 PM, Chuck Albertson said:

On Thursday, the US Trade Representative published the new list of items that may have import tariffs assessed due to the WTO finding that the EU is still out of compliance with the WTO rulings on aircraft subsidies: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2019-12-12/pdf/2019-26741.pdf

Annex I lists all the products that were hit by tariffs on October 18, including German-manufactured lenses and (wait for it) tweezers. These are being considered for additional duties of up to 100 percent. The TR also invites public comment on whether any of the products listed should be dropped from the list.

Annex II lists additional products that may be hit with up to 100 percent tariffs. What jumped out at me were binoculars (made in any EU country) and Irish whiskies (Bushmills, FFS!).

And precisely how in the name of _________________ is this Byzantine load of bureaucratic hogwash supposed to punish Airbus and benefit non-EU aircraft manufacturers??   🙄

Edited by Herr Barnack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

And precisely how in the name of _________________ is this Byzantine load of bureaucratic hogwash supposed to punish Airbus and benefit non-EU aircraft manufacturers??   🙄

I'm not the person to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

I'm not the person to ask.

I wasn't asking just you - I was asking all 7.7 billion inhabitants of this planet, hoping against hope that someone has an answer that actually makes some sense.

Upon further reflection, I now realize that hoping to make sense out of said load of Byzantine bureaucratic hogwash was hopelessly unrealistic on my part.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy