Leica CL with old Elpro 3, 18-56 and 55-135

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Images uncropped at closest focus distance. These Elpros are cheap, a step-down for the 18-56 and step-up for the 55-135 and you are ready to go.

18-56, closest focus (@56) ISO 800

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

18-56, with Elpro (@56) ISO 800

55-135, with Elpro (@135) ISO 1600

Final noise reduction and sharpening using Topaz Sharpen AI .

• Like 4

• jaapv changed the title to Leica CL with old Elpro 3, 18-56 and 55-135
3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Images uncropped at closest focus distance. These Elpros are cheap, a step-down for the 18-56 and step-up for the 55-135 and you are ready to go.

18-56, closest focus (@56) ISO 800

18-56, with Elpro (@56) ISO 800

55-135, with Elpro (@135) ISO 1600

Final noise reduction and sharpening using Topaz Sharpen AI .

Impressive results Jaap. I must look for one of these attachments. 

• Like 1

I picked up a NEW old-stock Elpro 2, 16542, on eBay for £45.

Of the two lenses I prefer it with the 18-56mm. What should be mentioned is that the 'working-distance' is small, down to 2-3 inches, if memory serves.

'Port-hole' vignetting is present at the lower FL's, it works best for me at 56mm.

This may be useful........

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/ELPRO

The Type 2 is 4.92 diopter, the Type 3 is 1.66 diopter. 

From personal experience I have concluded that for me they are unnecessary and a waste of money. The IQ that I get from both the 18-56 and 55-135mm on the CL is ao good that I can pull-up to 100% with brilliant results.

Hand held, 55-135mm.

Whole frame

100% crop.

Edited by Dave in Wales
  • Like 1

That is an interesting observation.
The Elpro 3 is certainly different. I did not measure the working distance but would estimate it to be 15 cm. Nor did I  experience any significant vignetting; the above shots are uncropped. Even the step-down situation on the 55-135 had no adverse effect.
I probably could have done even better, I screwed the Elpro into the 007 filters (I know, lazy, lazy :( ) which was a loose fit and increased the distance to the front element somewhat.

The types 1 and 2 were made for a 50 mm lens ( the difference is the strength), and the type 3 for 90 mm upwards.
I think that the most practical combination is with the Type 3 as illustrated here.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 135 image is impressive…  when I think of the CL (which I haven't...but is a costant thought…)  my idea was that for very close focus I'd to consider M lenses with some extenders… but ONE simple light component (Elpro) on a standard CL lens vs. a bunch of rings/adapters just to enjoy a M lens… :rolleyes: Jaap, have you made some comparision of this kind, using some modern M lens in the 50-90 range ?

12 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That is an interesting observation.
The Elpro 3 is certainly different. I did not measure the working distance but would estimate it to be 15 cm. Nor did I  experience any significant vignetting; the above shots are uncropped. Even the step-down situation on the 55-135 had no adverse effect.
I probably could have done even better, I screwed the Elpro into the 007 filters (I know, lazy, lazy :( ) which was a loose fit and increased the distance to the front element somewhat.

The types 1 and 2 were made for a 50 mm lens ( the difference is the strength), and the type 3 for 90 mm upwards.
I think that the most practical combination is with the Type 3 as illustrated here.

I agree that the type 2 may not be ideally suited for either lens but being able to achieve such IQ when cropped is a real asset. In the field I find it a PITA having to put it on and take it of and stow it safely.

It's a no-brainer, for me anyway, leave it in the bag  and crop when I get home.:)

Shop around in UK dealers' stocks and they can be found for less than £15. I've bought some for as little as £5 each … sometimes two for £5 … and given them away to close-up novices. 

http://www.mwclassic.com/?post_type=product&s=Elpro  … Fill yer boots before they all go :)

Ignore the incorrect thread sizes … s/b M44 x 0.75 and M55 x 0.75 

And they can work well when stacked together … ideal for jewellery photos 

A 'Macrotar' is exactly the same as an 'Elpro' … Leitz changed the name because it infringed another manufacturer's trade name 

If you want to find out more about Elpro and Macrotar c/u lenses, their diopter strengths and uses, please consider acquiring a copy of Günter Osterloh's "Excellence in Photography 'Applied Leica Technique' " … Page 163-167 … part of 'The Near Range' section.  

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

13 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Shop around in UK dealers' stocks and they can be found for less than £15. I've bought some for as little as £5 each … sometimes two for £5 … and given them away to close-up novices. 

http://www.mwclassic.com/?post_type=product&s=Elpro  … Fill yer boots before they all go :)

Ignore the incorrect thread sizes … s/b M44 x 0.75 and M55 x 0.75 

And they can work well when stacked together … ideal for jewellery photos 

A 'Macrotar' is exactly the same as an 'Elpro' … Leitz changed the name because it infringed another manufacturer's trade name 

If you want to find out more about Elpro and Macrotar c/u lenses, their diopter strengths and uses, please consider acquiring a copy of Günter Osterloh's "Excellence in Photography 'Applied Leica Technique' " … Page 163-167 … part of 'The Near Range' section.  

dunk

'mwclassic.com' comes up as 'Not secure' on my mac.......?

What I don't have is any zoom lenses or TL series lenses... LOL!

I have both the ELPRO Series VI a+b and the ELPRO Series VII a+b sets. Both sets cost me about $60 each. I use them with my Summicron-R 50mm (series VI) and Elmarit-R 135mm (series VII) lenses for doing macro and copy work. I have step-up and step-down adapters to fit them to all my other lenses too. They're very useful for many different kinds of imaging needs and extend the close focusing range of my lenses nicely.  They produce outstanding quality. They were incredibly inexpensive for the quality I get out of them. 

Do I use them all the time? No, of course not. I have other macro gear as well, like the Focusing Bellows-R with Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/4 and Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 + Macro Adapter-R close up extension tubes. Also a 2x Extender-R...  never mind a litany of tripods, camera stands, focusing rails, copy stands, etc etc. All of it is useful for particular circumstances and needs, depending upon what I am trying to get done. :D

G

• Like 1

55-135.... 1/800, f 6.3, iso 800, full zoom.

Edited by geoffreyg
  • Like 3