Macro lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love to shoot macro shots of flowers.  To date I've used a Hasselblad with an extension tube, or my ancient Pentax K1000 with a Pentax KA mount 50mm macro lens.  After buying my MP, I bough a Novoflex adapter to use the Pentax on it, and it works ok.  After I bought it, I started doing research on Leica macro lenses and discovered that they also have a macro lens, a 90mm macro f4 lens (Elmar) that is used with a macro adapter.  According to the Leica website, the macro adapter can be used with other lenses too, so I bought the adapter, but not the lens.  

I find that the adapter works ok with a 50mm lens (Summicron f2), but does not allow me to move back as much as I would like to show more of the flower.  I also tried it with my 28mm lens, there it is almost useless, unless I want to take photos of small insects.  

Because the 90mm Elmar macro lens is only an f4, I am not really that interested in it.  My question, does anyone have the Leica macro adapter and use it with a 75 to 90mm lens with a larger aperture?  I would be interested in your impressions.  

Thanks, Wayne 

5 hours ago, too old to care said:

My question, does anyone have the Leica macro adapter and use it with a 75 to 90mm lens with a larger aperture?  I would be interested in your impressions.  

I used to out of curiosity but DoF is too shallow at large apertures. Here at f/5.6 with 90/4 macro v1 and macro adapter v2. At f/2, only the tip of a leaf would have been sharp i suspect.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Beautiful photo.  That is the type of photo that I really appreciate.  I know that at anything less than 5.6 or so, the DOF would be very low.  But, I want to use the lens for more than macro.  That is why I wanted larger than a f4.  What I fear is, the macro adapter is nothing more than an expensive adjustable extension tube.  I think that may be the reason they sell it with the f4 lens, it may be too weak to hold up to a heavy lens.  Just my guess.

Thanks for your input.

Wayne 

Thank you :)Version 1 of the adapter was sold with the 90/4 macro indeed but not version 2 of it that can be used with any lens. Here with an Elmar-M 50/2.8 at f/16.

• Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I read the review on the 90mm macro lens.  KEH has one at about 2/3 the cost of new.  Now I’ll have to persuade my wife that I need one.

Thanks, Wayne  

Update.  The one I was looking at KEH was black, and in Excellent condition.  Today it sold, but they had another one that is silver and Like New (-).  Wife said ok, so I ordered it.  It should be here in a couple of days.   Attached is a photo that I shot a couple of days ago with the Pentax KA lens attached.  I like B&W, the flower was backlighted by natural light.  I shot it in RAW then over exposed it in Adobe.  Then converted it to B&W.  

Thanks everyone for your advice.   

Edited by too old to care
Addition
  • Like 1

Guess I’ll have to start the shopping process over.  I ordered the 90mm macro lens from KEH Friday.  Today (Monday) I got an email telling my credit card was not approved.  I was on a bicycle ride at the time, so I could not check my credit card statement.  KEH asked me to pay either by PayPal, or with a money transfer.  I declined and told them to cancel the order. 

When  I got home I checked my credit card account and saw that they charged it for the full amount, plus tax, plus 2nd day shipping.  I called them and asked what was going on.  I asked them why they wanted me to pay twice for the lens   They said that from time to time they are scammed.   To me, it seems like I may be the one getting scammed, but I listened to their excuse  

I was told that the third party that verifies credit card purchases did not like my home address.  We have lived here nearly 5 years, and own our home.   I told them I wanted the lens still, please check into this.  Since my wife is having minor heart surgery Friday, I told them that the lens needed to be here by Thursday, which is why I ordered it 2nd day.  

I checked awhile ago, and found that they have received the order, have been paid for the lens, but the order is on hold.  Since then I’ve found another one for a bit less on eBay.  Tomorrow I’ll call KEH again, this time to cancel the order.  I never expected this type of service from them, they have such a good reputation.  

Wayne

9 hours ago, too old to care said:

Guess I’ll have to start the shopping process over.  I ordered the 90mm macro lens from KEH Friday.  Today (Monday) I got an email telling my credit card was not approved.  I was on a bicycle ride at the time, so I could not check my credit card statement.  KEH asked me to pay either by PayPal, or with a money transfer.  I declined and told them to cancel the order. 

When  I got home I checked my credit card account and saw that they charged it for the full amount, plus tax, plus 2nd day shipping.  I called them and asked what was going on.  I asked them why they wanted me to pay twice for the lens   They said that from time to time they are scammed.   To me, it seems like I may be the one getting scammed, but I listened to their excuse  

I was told that the third party that verifies credit card purchases did not like my home address.  We have lived here nearly 5 years, and own our home.   I told them I wanted the lens still, please check into this.  Since my wife is having minor heart surgery Friday, I told them that the lens needed to be here by Thursday, which is why I ordered it 2nd day.  

I checked awhile ago, and found that they have received the order, have been paid for the lens, but the order is on hold.  Since then I’ve found another one for a bit less on eBay.  Tomorrow I’ll call KEH again, this time to cancel the order.  I never expected this type of service from them, they have such a good reputation.  

Wayne

Don't forget to reverse the transaction on your credit card. Although that will reinforce KEH's suspicions.  I have encountered things like this before, mostly by USA stores - no idea why-. I always get quite angry. :(

"We don't take non-USA credit cards" Excuse me; my card says American Express, and as far as I know CCs are invented to be able to pay worldwide 😡.

I suppose your problem lies with postal code checks. If a few of your neighbours have a red flag against their name in those databases, you get dragged in automatically.

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:03 PM, too old to care said:

What I fear is, the macro adapter is nothing more than an expensive adjustable extension tube.

That is exactly what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. But very useful nonetheless and a key part of my photography kit. In fact, I have both the older goggled adaptor and the newer adjustable one. Both are nicely engineered and well built solutions to the problem of focusing closer with the M system.

Edited by wattsy
  • Thanks 1

I notified KEH that I no longer wanted the 90mm lens after I checked the status of the order this morning.  I also instructed them to reverse my credit card charge too. I’ll find another lens later after my wife has recovered from her surgery.  She is having a pacemaker installed Friday.  The survey is simple, but her activities will be limited, thus I won’t shooting photos anyway for awhile.  

Since I already have the macro adapter, I want a lens that works better with it than my 50 or 25mm lenses.   I think the 90mm lens would have worked well   

Thanks, Wayne

I spent part of today searching for another 90mm Elmar.  Found several, but none were as nice as the one from KEH.  My wife suggested that we call them again, but talk to sales this time.  She called and spoke to a representative there that read the full transcript of what happened.  She apologized for the issue, suggested we place the order again.  We did, and it went through without any issues.  We explained that we would not be here for the scheduled delivery because of her surgery.  She apologized again for the mixup and changed the order to next day delivery at no additional charge.  She also verified that the original charges were reversed.  This is the kind of service I expected from KEH.  I’m looking forward to using this lens.  

Wayne

I also shoot a lot of macro.  Was using the OUFRO with Summi 50 v4 & LV - but I found that to be awkward & my hit rate for hand-held exact focus point wasn't great w/o shooting a lot in the hopes 1 was the keeper.  I'm also not about to go into the field with a full Viso kit (studio only thank you)

So, I picked up Canon's 50 'Compact Macro' (f:2.5) and haven't looked back.  Super easy to get great shots & beautiful bokah all the way open.  Lens racks in very close, .228M

Sure I'd like to use the M240 for macro - but efficiently getting perfect shots comes 1st - (body:  MDM3 - plenty of resolution to crop in if needed)

PS:  No viewer cares what you used, just the result.  The M240's feelings were not hurt 😉

PSS:  You can also up-rez your shots a lot in photoshop and crop in quite a bit with no loss of image integrity.  Do some tests, you'll be amazed, and for me, brings that 50 Summi back into play.  After all, its been my fav lens for decades.  I hardly ever use the 1.4's, too heavy

KEH came through, the 90mm macro lens arrived this morning.  First impression, it probably has never been used.  Even the leather case was like new.  One thing though, it is not coded.  That is ok, none of my other lenses are coded, however my macro adapter is.  I'm not sure what the coding does anyway, other than record what lens was used on the camera when the shot was taken.  

As a mild telephoto lens, it works well.  I focused with the rangefinder, while also comparing it to the electronic view finder.  The lens focus perfectly.  With the macro adapter on, the rangefinder no longer is coupled, thus you must use the electronic view finder or live view.  I was surprised to see that I can leave the macro adapter on and still focus to infinity.  I probably won't do that, but it allows me to easily use this lens at almost any distance.  

A couple of sample shots wide open showed that the lens is very sharp, which I expected.  F4 is my favorite f-stop, so that works out well too.  I am very happy with the lens, and from what I can see so far, I think I can recommend one to someone looking to use a digital M camera for macro work.  

After my wife has recovered, I'll also shoot some shots with it on my M6.  Of course I can't do macro photos on it because the macro adapter is not coupled, but the 90 will make a nice addition for it as well.  

Thanks all for your suggestions

Wayne 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jankap said:

Good health to your wife. I had a hip surgery last year. That was exiting, but nothing against buying a used lens.^_^

Thanks, that made me laugh.  The additional funny thing is, tomorrow is not only her surgery, but also her birthday.  Some present I'm giving her, stitches.   

• Like 1

I have used the OUFRO and LV quite a lot and found it too be a very useful combination. Especially with together with Elmar 24. The Elmar renders really nice and gives enough DOF. The drawback is course that you will have to be quite close.
Quite recently I have used the Bellows II in combination with Elmar 65 and Visoflex III. A bit akward, but also produces nice results! Last of course there is the excellent Leica Elmarit 60 and the stunning Apo Macro Elmarit 100 for the R-system, but then you are of course also stuck with LV. I personally find the LV-solution for macro to be very good, but opionions tends to differ :).

Last a few examples:

OUFRO and Elmar 24:

Elmar-65 with Visoflex and Bellows (the flower is 1.5cm in diameter):

Apo-Macro Elmarit 100:

Edited by mmx_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update.  My wife's surgery went ok, they did not put in a pacemaker, but a loop recorder.  After the surgery her heart rate fell to the 20's a couple of hours later, but recovered.  This scared everyone there, she became unconscious and had to be lifted back into bed.  They sent her home the next day with instructions to come back in two weeks to see what the recorder says.   She may then get the pacemaker.  

I got the 90mm Elmar and this is the first macro shot I've done.  It was shot wide open.  The image is pretty much out of the camera.  I set it to B&W film, no filter.  I did auto contrast in photo shop and cropped it slightly.  The flower is just a cut rose that my wife brought home the other night.  I shot it on my back porch using just natural light.  I think I will be very happy with the lens.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just appending: macro with the M-Elmar 24mm/Oufro. At first thought a strange way of doing it. 
However, the lens WAS DESIGNED with close-up in mind. [My copy has an extended focus-range inscription . . ]
So here a shot of a spider. Handheld, M240 - Live View.

In the background our window - makes the spider more real than with a macro-tele😱

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 1