Do you guys shoot Under exposure?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you guys shoot Under exposure and feel the color more rich and saturation? Actually magic happen when it is -1/2 to -1. The images became rich in color, look so deep and magic happen from here. Do this happen with other camera not Leica?

With this i think no need to use any preset anymore, because the color truly amazing!

Examples below: I do -50 Exposure in lightroom. The images turn out fanstatic.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dusuacangmong
  • Like 2

I tweak exposure all the time, using the live histogram in the EVF. I then finish the image to my taste in postprocessing. That is not under- or overexposing, it is exposing correctly. Underexposing is when you shift the image too far to the left in the histogram, losing dynamic range. In other words: correct exposure is not always (more often than not) the exposure that the internal meter of the camera determines.
This is independent of camera make.
Nice shot, BTW.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I tweak exposure all the time, using the live histogram in the EVF. I then finish the image to my taste in postprocessing. That is not under- or overexposing, it is exposing correctly. Underexposing is when you shift the image too far to the left in the histogram, losing dynamic range. In other words: correct exposure is not always (more often than not) the exposure that the internal meter of the camera determines.
This is independent of camera make.
Nice shot, BTW.

Thanks Jaapv for correcting me. cause Q is my 1st camera so before i found this things, i used and tried many preset, but after this i think no need anymore preset or color grade. The leica color its own is truly amazing.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

The trick is to shoot as “full” a histogram as possible to maximize the amount of data to post process 

Jaapv, Isn’t it an issue that the histogram is derived using the internal jpg? I’ve read in general that one should be careful pushing it too close the the right side for fear of blowing a specific color such as red on a skin tone. I tend to be a bit conservative on how far I move the exposure to the right. Of course I shoot RAW. Please correct or add to my thinking if you can. Thanks. 

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Leica Guy:

pushing it too close the the right side for fear of blowing a specific color such as red on a skin tone

i always push to the max on the right side . ( Histogram)  

i haven’t noticed color probs in my Pictures. 

For me it’s important  not to burn out ( to much) the Highlights  

Edited by Guest

You can switch on the clipping warning, I assume that the Q has that. However, there is usually more headroom in the DNG than in the internal JPG, so there is little risk of pushing it too far, provided you are paying attention ;) In general I feel that the fear of blown highlights is overblown ( ;) ) There is absolutely no objection to clip (specular) highlights that would be blown in our eye-vision as well. OTOH, the shadow recovery of modern sensors is amazingly good.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is certainly easier to recover shadows than blown highlights.  That said, if the highlights are not important to the shot, limited dynamic range means they'll be blown out. 

If I'm in a hurry, I find an exposure compensation of -1/3 EV to be a good safety measure as auto seems to blow out more than I generally care for. 

That is a really cool shot!

• Like 3

Yes. I am even wondering if I can get away shooting jpeg only now that under exposing (per the meter) is getting such great shots with little to no editing needed on the raw files imported into Lightroom. Not there quite yet but just trying to make a point how dramatic the difference in colors/tones are as you mentioned OP.

• Like 1

New Q2 owner ...My first photo testing the dynamic range. Very impressed with its capabilities and clarity -  whites of the umbrella, reflection of sun in water,  to the pebbles underwater in the FG. No adjustments - straight out of camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

On 9/27/2019 at 5:26 AM, dusuacangmong said:

Do you guys shoot Under exposure and feel the color more rich and saturation? Actually magic happen when it is -1/2 to -1. The images became rich in color, look so deep and magic happen from here. Do this happen with other camera not Leica?

With this i think no need to use any preset anymore, because the color truly amazing!

Examples below: I do -50 Exposure in lightroom. The images turn out fanstatic.

I think you are correct and I typically shoot with significant negative exposure composition because I think the images are much richer and moody.

4 hours ago, TeeDiddy said:

I think you are correct and I typically shoot with significant negative exposure composition because I think the images are much richer and moody.

Yes, currently i shoot +0, but in lightroom i set to -0.5 exposure to -1, depend on how bright of the images. But when you do this. Your images become magic in just a sec.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:46 AM, John D said:

New Q2 owner ...My first photo testing the dynamic range. Very impressed with its capabilities and clarity -  whites of the umbrella, reflection of sun in water,  to the pebbles underwater in the FG. No adjustments - straight out of camera.

Try -0.5 exposure in the Lightroom, might be you see the magic.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2019 at 1:30 PM, SrMi said:

I found that with Q2 it is easier to recover highlights at ISO 100 than at ISO 50, unless you dial in some negative exposure compensation with ISO 50.

ISO 50 is clearly a pull value with limited DR.