New to M8, a very happy owner

efour

Mandatory, absolutely, totally necessary.

Except if it causes ghost flare,  like nightime shooting with spot lighting. And not necessary for b&w shots.

Indoor lighting by tungsten shows very wierd colours with synthetic materials eg polyester mens suits. So go photograph the Academy Awards and check out the nouveau riche...🤣

On 2/10/2020 at 2:01 AM, tjh1023 said:

For the hive mind how important is an ir filter on the 8? 

IR-cut filters are not important at all if you like those colors :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 2

On 2/14/2020 at 4:08 AM, jonnyboy said:

I never used an IR filter and I did shoot in colors too.

You don't need it until you do, I had done a lot of color with my M8. Then I took a picture with a lot of foliage in it and the greens were off. Bought a couple of B+W IR cut off filters, redid the picture and everything looked right. It is good to have them in your pocket. The B+W IR cut offs don't affect your exposure. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/6/2020 at 3:24 PM, Snappergb said:

For me, there are three reasons to get Leica lenses, if you can stretch to them. 
1, to me, they do render more accurately than others I’ve tried on my M8.

2, they are smaller and the coded lenses do make a helpful difference.

3, photographers are constantly changing their kit but if you’ve bought Leica kit, you will not lose money. 

Hello, I just bought an M8 though it hasn't arrived yet.  Talking about lenses, what does aspherical mean.  Cheers, Rob.

Just now, zambam3 said:

Thanks for the info guys.  I am new to this.  Is it also better to get a coded lens?  Cheers, Rob.

For the M8? Yes. And an IR filter. Essential.

I guess my M8 is some kind of special edition. Never use any filters (I have them actually) and I don't see the big issues everybody is talking about. Color looks exactly as they should.

(Unless I suffer from daltonism of course).

Edited by rivi1969
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

Color looks exactly as they should.

The colour problems show up in black fabrics that look magenta (purple) or foliage that has a yellowish tint.  Neither of these are in the pictures above but if you shoot them I suspect that you'll notice the colour problems caused by infra-red rays.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, farnz said:

The colour problems show up in black fabrics that look magenta (purple) or foliage that has a yellowish tint.  Neither of these are in the pictures above but if you shoot them I suspect that you'll notice the colour problems caused by infra-red rays.

Pete.

Pete, the lady's sweater was black, her hat very dark grey... in the picture below greens are as green as they can...

If there is an issue is not remotely as bad as the guy who post a few comments above this some pictures of people with completely magenta faces lol. But I agree is a well documented problem. the truth is I never use the filter and never will.

2 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

Pete, the lady's sweater was black, her hat very dark grey... in the picture below greens are as green as they can...

I have no desire to start an argument and if you're happy with the colours that's what matters.  

I do note that both the lady's sweater and the green foliage are underexposed, which is hiding the IR effect.  When I take the picture of the lady into PS and adjust the sweater so that it's not beyond -255 in LAB colour space* I can see the A channel registers as +12, which indicates red/magenta where it had appeared black when underexposed.  (In RGB R=43, which shows a red component where it would be 0 if it was true black.)  For balance, after adjustment the shadow on her arm inside the sleeve is A=0, and in RGB R=0, indicating true black.

*I used LAB colour space initially so that the Luminance information that is a evenly incorporated into the channels in RGB wouldn't obscure the measurement.  (LAB separates all of the Luminance information into the L channel and all the colour into the A and B channels, where A contains the red and green information and B contains the blue and yellow information.)

But as I said above, if you're happy with the colours that's what matters and I hope you don't experience magenta blacks or yellow greens later.

Pete.

Surely, some black fabric will turned to sort of deep violet, and in certain lighting situation, the trees / leafs green look fading like autumn, and from time to time even a  normal scene, most colour will be a bit off, but most the time those off colour look pleasing to most eyes, it's kinda instagram retro filter look. This won't happen every shot but in some certain circumstance, to use the filter or not is totally your call.

Just a small update, after stepping into Leica world start off with M8, I'm so happy with the result, so I decided to trade it for a sexy black paint M9p........ a Leica M4 and Leica iii f for curiousness of film. Oh man, Leica is kinda addictive.

Edited by efour
typo