Who owns both the Q and Q2 (and CL)

jcocci

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

New to Leica and I have dove in head first. When the Q2 was announced I had convinced myself  it was what I wanted to get. After seeing the wait and also questioning if I would regret not being able to change lenses I decided to not get the Q2 and got a CL instead with the 18mm and the 18-56mm lenses. Love the camera. I hadn’t even thought about getting an original Q. A couple months later I saw a great deal on a barely used Q and decided to buy it to see how it worked for me. Again love it. So got me thinking about the Q2, but wasn’t sure if I needed to do the upgrade or not. Availability of the Q2 was pretty much dictating that I wouldn’t be getting anytime soon anyway. I then randomly found a used Q2 on B&H for $4500. At first I though no way this is true and must be a typo or something else. Without hesitation and really giving it any thought I bought it. So now I have the Q, Q2 and CL. I am trying to decide which two to keep and I am not sure I really need all 3. Pretty sure I want keep the CL as I really do love it and the size is great for what I sue it mainly for. I am really stuck on the Q vs Q2. I know this discussion has been talked about at length and I have read a lot of posts about it. Does anyone have both the Q and Q2 and feel they use both? Maybe keep those and sell the CL. I am trying to convince myself I don’t need all 3 of them. Although my wife loves the Q and that would could become her camera. I am probably just goign to give myself some time and see which ones I use. Thanks.

John

Hi. My first Leica was the Q. About a year later I got the M240. Used the Q for travel and the M for project-type photography. Waited a while after the Q2 came out and finally ordered it. I like it better than the Q: weather sealed, higher pixel count - so I’ll use the Q2 for travel.   I’ve taken a bunch of photos (I shoot in RAW) with the Q2, and they came out very, very well (I post process in Light Room).  I gave the Q to my daughter who is an amateur photographer for her to use as a back up. I’m keeping the M. 

My advice: no reason to keep the Q; keep the CL. 

Enjoy your cameras. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vrsantoro said:

Hi. My first Leica was the Q. About a year later I got the M240. Used the Q for travel and the M for project-type photography. Waited a while after the Q2 came out and finally ordered it. I like it better than the Q: weather sealed, higher pixel count - so I’ll use the Q2 for travel.   I’ve taken a bunch of photos (I shoot in RAW) with the Q2, and they came out very, very well (I post process in Light Room).  I gave the Q to my daughter who is an amateur photographer for her to use as a back up. I’m keeping the M. 

My advice: no reason to keep the Q; keep the CL. 

Enjoy your cameras. 

+1. Sell the Q. The CL and Q2 are perfect together. 

What I am missing here is the consideration why you would want the Q2 over the Q. Yes, it is slightly weathersealed (but by no means totally), the MP advantage can be significant for extremely large prints or deep crops, and that is about it. Are those things worth thousands of Shekels to you? If yes, go for it (and keep the CL), but in doubt, buy a few nice extra lenses for your CL instead.

• Like 2

I continue to rethink what I have. Sell the Q and get the fabulous 11-23 for my CL? But the Q/Q2 is a true konige der nacht, easily shot handheld at 1/8 of a second, while the outstanding TL zooms are slow. My current default kit is the Q and the CL with the 55-135 which is remarkably easy to carry together and seems to address most of my needs. But it is getting boring: it's just too good and easy. I have a whole bunch of M and R (and old Nikon) lenses to swap out on the CL; the problem is the 55-135 seems too good to take off the camera. 

You will regret getting rid of the CL. It's not quite as brilliant as the Q, but it does so many more things. And it's ultimately cooler, YMMV.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, bags27 said:

I continue to rethink what I have. Sell the Q and get the fabulous 11-23 for my CL? But the Q/Q2 is a true konige der nacht, easily shot handheld at 1/8 of a second, while the outstanding TL zooms are slow. My current default kit is the Q and the CL with the 55-135 which is remarkably easy to carry together and seems to address most of my needs. But it is getting boring: it's just too good and easy. I have a whole bunch of M and R (and old Nikon) lenses to swap out on the CL; the problem is the 55-135 seems too good to take off the camera. 

You will regret getting rid of the CL. It's not quite as brilliant as the Q, but it does so many more things. And it's ultimately cooler, YMMV.

I had the 55-135 very briefly but hardly used it so returned it. Not a focal length I use often in general and even less with the CL. I am definitely keeping the CL (at least I say that at the moment). 

Not exactly related but my evolution is:

Had a Silver Q (bought new)

Traded Q for M10

Rangefinder was a challenge for me, so I bought a CL with 18-56

Recently sold the M10 and the CL.  

Bought a gorgeous Q-P and I am on the hunt for an SL.  For roughly what I sold the M10 for, I am able to purchase both the Q-P and the SL and I believe I will have a better solution in the long run. 

This may not help you but, I found the M10 to be nostalgic but limiting and the CL feels a bit small in your hand.  

I would sell the Q2 and the CL, keep your Q, get an SL and use the left over money for a vacation or a killer lens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jainbaby said:

Not exactly related but my evolution is:

Had a Silver Q (bought new)

Traded Q for M10

Rangefinder was a challenge for me, so I bought a CL with 18-56

Recently sold the M10 and the CL.  

Bought a gorgeous Q-P and I am on the hunt for an SL.  For roughly what I sold the M10 for, I am able to purchase both the Q-P and the SL and I believe I will have a better solution in the long run. 

This may not help you but, I found the M10 to be nostalgic but limiting and the CL feels a bit small in your hand.  

I would sell the Q2 and the CL, keep your Q, get an SL and use the left over money for a vacation or a killer lens.

In all the buying and selling, did you manage to take any photos? 😃

• Like 5

I have both the Q2 and the CL. I'll be looking to selling the CL soon though, since I don't use it much since getting the Q (now the Q2) and it covering 95% of my shooting scenarios and is small enough. If I ever feel the need for another APS-C camera I'll probably go for a Fuji X-Pro3 or X-T30.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 11:08 PM, bags27 said:

In all the buying and selling, did you manage to take any photos? 😃

LOL, yes!  I am still a novice but I did the following trips:

Italy 4 times

France twice

Germany

Cuba

Florida Keys

at least 20 car shows

China

Hong Kong

Japan 4 times

lots of other place....in one year I flew 216,000 miles in the air (I will NEVER do that again)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jainbaby said:

LOL, yes!  I am still a novice but I did the following trips:

Italy 4 times

France twice

Germany

Cuba

Florida Keys

at least 20 car shows

China

Hong Kong

Japan 4 times

lots of other place....in one year I flew 216,000 miles in the air (I will NEVER do that again)!

what fantastic opportunities to use a camera! Have you posted here your favorite photos? I'd be so interested in seeing them.

• Like 1

My thoughts
1. Unless you are giving the Q to your wife, there is no reason to keep both the Q and Q2.
2. If you could only keep one, I would keep the Q2.
3. If you are keeping two, I think the CL + Q is a better pairing, as they both share the same battery, and....
4. The extra resolution of the Q2 is useful for cropping, but the zoom on the CL completely negates that feature, and vice-versa.

Edited by Mr.Q
  • Like 2

My evolution is a bit convoluted.

After a succession of Nikon DSLRs, I bought a Zeiss Ikon rangefinder. I absolutely loved that camera, but the hassle of sending film away for processing and the chore of scanning to digital wore me down, so I sold it and bought a Leica M9.

What a disappointment that camera was after the Zeiss Ikon! Inferior viewfinder, inconsistent white balance, thick body. I persevered with the M9 for a couple of years but never really bonded with it.

I then moved to Fuji. First the X Pro 1, then the XT-1 and a bunch of Fuji lenses.

Last year I bought a Leica Q. I love it.

The Q2 is more camera than I need.

Next week, I will get my Leica CL with the 23mm.

Edited by Viv
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...