Loose Lens Digilux 2

Gordon, welcome to the forum!

Several years ago, ten to fifteen years possibly, when the Digilux 2 was relatively new, a competent engineer based in the UK presented step by step instructions for dismantling/reassembling the camera. Each step was photographed very clearly. Try a search in my suggested time frame and see if it is still available.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:09 PM, wda said:

Gordon, welcome to the forum!

Several years ago, ten to fifteen years possibly, when the Digilux 2 was relatively new, a competent engineer based in the UK presented step by step instructions for dismantling/reassembling the camera. Each step was photographed very clearly. Try a search in my suggested time frame and see if it is still available.

Hi David,

Did you mean Mark Norton or someone else?

Pete.

3 hours ago, farnz said:

Hi David,

Did you mean Mark Norton or someone else?

Pete.

Thank you Pete, it was Mark Norton I am sure. His approach was that of a forensic scientist and his documented report was top class. His success was crowned by his neat and functional reassembly of his Digilux 2 camera. It was very educational and deserved a place in the forum archives. Maybe it is already there.

Funnily enough I retained a copy of "Anatomy of a Digilux 2" by Mark Norton in htm format but I don't know how (or whether I would be able to) post it to the forum because it uses pictures and other data in separate folders on my hard drive, which is the way that the file saved itself at the time.

The thread "Anatomy of a Digilux 2" by Mark Norton was posted at 06.41 pm on March 19th 2006 but the forum's search engine doesn't find it even though it finds Mark's 'Anatomy of the M8' that he posted in 2007 so there might have been a change of server, platform, or forum software in the interim and the Digilux 2 thread was archived somewhere that the forum's current software can't reach.

If the OP is interested in viewing it then I suggest that he contacts the forum's Admin and requests access to it using the thread's name, time and date stamp in the previous paragraph.  I can assure the OP that Mark's teardown of the Digilux 2 should provide him with the information he would need to tighten up his lens mount.

Pete.

@Gordon R Britton Jr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, farnz said:

Funnily enough I retained a copy of "Anatomy of a Digilux 2" by Mark Norton in htm format but I don't know how (or whether I would be able to) post it to the forum because it uses pictures and other data in separate folders on my hard drive, which is the way that the file saved itself at the time.

The thread "Anatomy of a Digilux 2" by Mark Norton was posted at 06.41 pm on March 19th 2006 but the forum's search engine doesn't find it even though it finds Mark's 'Anatomy of the M8' that he posted in 2007 so there might have been a change of server, platform, or forum software in the interim and the Digilux 2 thread was archived somewhere that the forum's current software can't reach.

If the OP is interested in viewing it then I suggest that he contacts the forum's Admin and requests access to it using the thread's name, time and date stamp in the previous paragraph.  I can assure the OP that Mark's teardown of the Digilux 2 should provide him with the information he would need to tighten up his lens mount.

Pete.

@Gordon R Britton Jr

Well done Pete. My further recollection is that Mark's report was published in two or more parts, mirroring his progress through the project. I wonder if contempory minds know if Mark Norton is still active and whether he can add to our recollections? I believe he was London-based.

A second issue is securing such valuable contributions to the Leica forum for posterity. This deserves discussion beyond this current thread. Perhaps a moderator could become involved as weĺl as Admin.

Hi David,

The copy I retained is in 3 parts and I think that was because it spread over 3 forum 'pages' at the time.

Mark Norton is still a member here and according to the forum's stats he last visited on 21st September.  As far as I know from several years ago (I haven't met him in person) he was based in Hampstead although he might have moved since of course.

I thoroughly agree that Mark's D2 teardown - and his M8 teardown - deserve to be kept for posterity (and for their usefulness!) - but I don't know where on the forum there would be an appropriate receptacle.  They're not something that would fit readily into the forum's Wiki.

As you might know I run the series of Barnack's Monthly threads and (former) member and moderator Pop set up a separate, locked thread in the 'Other' photography subforum to retain links to all of the BM threads that go back to 2008 because there didn't appear to be anywhere else.  

Perhaps Andreas might agree to a 'Reference Library' on the forum to retain Mark's tear downs, the links to BM threads, How to size pictures for posting on the forum, and all of the many camera model FAQ's that are liberally sprinkled throughout the forum.  It would seem handy to have all of that type of reference information in one place.  I'll test the water as it were and PM Andreas to see whether he would support it.

Pete.

3 hours ago, farnz said:

Hi David,

The copy I retained is in 3 parts and I think that was because it spread over 3 forum 'pages' at the time.

Mark Norton is still a member here and according to the forum's stats he last visited on 21st September.  As far as I know from several years ago (I haven't met him in person) he was based in Hampstead although he might have moved since of course.

I thoroughly agree that Mark's D2 teardown - and his M8 teardown - deserve to be kept for posterity (and for their usefulness!) - but I don't know where on the forum there would be an appropriate receptacle.  They're not something that would fit readily into the forum's Wiki.

As you might know I run the series of Barnack's Monthly threads and (former) member and moderator Pop set up a separate, locked thread in the 'Other' photography subforum to retain links to all of the BM threads that go back to 2008 because there didn't appear to be anywhere else.  

Perhaps Andreas might agree to a 'Reference Library' on the forum to retain Mark's tear downs, the links to BM threads, How to size pictures for posting on the forum, and all of the many camera model FAQ's that are liberally sprinkled throughout the forum.  It would seem handy to have all of that type of reference information in one place.  I'll test the water as it were and PM Andreas to see whether he would support it.

Pete.

Thank you Pete, a positive and useful idea for preserving 'forum wealth' in a safe and accessible place.

• Like 1

Thank you, Andreas!

Mark Norton's "Anatomy of the Digilux 2" thread was started on March 19th 2006 but is beyond the reach of the forum's search facility because it has been archived to: "Archive through March 24, 2006".  Is there any help you can offer to retrieve the thread or to let me know how I can do it please?

Pete.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 10:43 AM, farnz said:

Thank you, Andreas!

Mark Norton's "Anatomy of the Digilux 2" thread was started on March 19th 2006 but is beyond the reach of the forum's search facility because it has been archived to: "Archive through March 24, 2006".  Is there any help you can offer to retrieve the thread or to let me know how I can do it please?

Pete.

Yes please!