APO 50 Summicron-SL vs. APO 75 Summicron-SL - image thread

Chaemono

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica choose in purpose to go all the way from 24 to 90mm to make it more useful for classical portrait work. 

However a 75mm mounted on a supposed 47MP camera will give you access to all "portrait" focal length, while retaining enough MP. 

75mm @47MP -> 90mm @32MP -> 105mm @24MP -> 135mm @14MP

APO-Summicron-SL 75mm with SL2 is kinda the Q2 of portrait works. 

APO 50 can only reach 90mm realistically

50mm @47MP -> 75mm @20MP -> 90mm @14MP -> 105mm @10.5MP

• Like 1

Exciting times ahead with those high res FF sensors giving us the ability to crop a lot. It could basically mean one lens meets most of our needs. The reason why I think people will still have several lenses in their kit just like always is the need to control composition and OOF blur when taking into account a lens’ AFOV and distance from a subject. 

you are right, depth of field will be quite different. It is not perfect. 

The idea is to buy your favorite focal, then get the closest one by cropping. 

It is actually quite nice to be able to crop. I get the habit to crop my Q2 into 35 or 50mm, when I needed to make a portrait. That's way, I am sure not to place anybody into the distortion zone of 28mm. 

Edited by nicci78

5 hours ago, Chaemono said:

This may be an ill-conceived notion of mine, but somehow I have this idea that prime lens IQ matters more for photographs taken with focal lengths of 50mm and above. For this reason I will never get the 35 Summicron-SL or any SL prime wider than this. I much rather use the SL SVE 16-35 there. 

Is that because you think the 35 Summicron-SL is not as sharp as the SVE 16-35? I thought the new APO's were amongst the sharpest for the SL. I'm curious. :)

vor 35 Minuten schrieb 99p:

Is that because you think the 35 Summicron-SL is not as sharp as the SVE 16-35? I thought the new APO's were amongst the sharpest for the SL. I'm curious. :)

As I said, it’s my I’ll-conceived notion that wider angle lenses are mostly used for architecture, landscape and, in general, to capture nice scenery where large apertures and shallow DOF aren’t as critical. If one sees Jono’s pictures with the 35 Summicron-SL, one realizes that I’m totally wrong. 😁

36 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

As I said, it’s my I’ll-conceived notion that wider angle lenses are mostly used for architecture, landscape and, in general, to capture nice scenery where large apertures and shallow DOF aren’t as critical. If one sees Jono’s pictures with the 35 Summicron-SL, one realizes that I’m totally wrong. 😁

Ah ok, after re-reading your post it makes sense now. Yeah the 35 Summicron-SL is sharp. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 10:59 AM, jplomley said:

I’m sure at f/11 the 35 APO and 16-35 @ 35 mm are identical in performance, if not the zoom being somewhat better due to less diffraction. 

The zoom wouldn’t have less diffraction.  The amount of diffraction is determined by the physical size of the aperture.  All lenses of a given focal length at a given focal ratio have the same size aperture, hence the same amount of diffraction.  The reason diffraction appears to set in at different focal ratios on different lenses is we tend to notice diffraction when it becomes the dominant aberration.  The better the lens, the sooner diffraction dominates.  Zooms tend to have slightly worse performance than primes, so people generally don’t notice the diffraction till you reach a higher focal ratio, but it’s only because the diffraction is masked by something else.  The end result?  The 16-35 and the prime would have the same diffraction at f/11.  They would likely have very similar performance, but it’s extremely unlikely the zoom would actually be better.