35 Summilux Canada

tommonego@gmail.com

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had a 35 Summilux Canada for years, have always used a clip on filter, I am doing infrared again and I have not found a filter size that works for the lens 39mm definitely not, 40.5, the one I bought doesn't fit, then doing a close inspection, the lens doesn't seem to have inside threads. The clamp on works but there are no infrared series 6 filters around. What is the proper way to do this? 

If your lens is one of these 35mm Summilux ...

The only practical way to use Serie VII filter on your Summilux-M 35mm pre-asph.

is the two parts hood 12504 (link)

The hood can be unscrewed then put the Serie VII (no screw thread) and screw the two parts back, clip on the lens,

that the only way Leitz/Leica intended for filter use.

Thank you

The lens hood that came with the lens, does not unscrew, a repair person told me it was a cut down version of the 35 f2.8 hood. It can hold a filter 43mm opening (series 6?) by clips. Lists 50 f2, 2.8, 3.5 and 35 f2.8 and 3.5 on the side. May have to search for the 35 f1.4 hood and try to find a series 7 filter, striking out on series 6 infrared filters. Holds a series 6 old Kodak but not 100% securely.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

A normal E39 filter will fit in a series 6 holder if you drop it in upside down. It will be a bit loose but I have not had one fall out when have used it this way.

just checked it now,

Leica E39 infrared filter in old Kodak series 6 holder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pyrogallol

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

If your lens is one of these 35mm Summilux ...

The only practical way to use Serie VII filter on your Summilux-M 35mm pre-asph.

is the two parts hood 12504 (link)

The hood can be unscrewed then put the Serie VII (no screw thread) and screw the two parts back, clip on the lens,

that the only way Leitz/Leica intended for filter use.

+1. Also E49 Leica filters can be dropped upside down instead of Series VII filters between the two halves of the 12504 hood. BTW inexpensive Chinese copies of the 12504 hood can be found on e**y. The one i have (link below) works fine but the spring of its clip-on half won't stay tensioned for as long as that of the original hood most probably. Its vented half fits perfectly the clip-on half of the genuine hood though. https://www.ebay.fr/itm/152375063917

Genuine 12504:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the information, I did a masking tape shim and got the 40.5 IR filter I have to fit in the Kodak series 6 adapter, yes the 39mm fit upside down but wasn't too loose. Will get this worked out have an M8 coming in this week. May look into an original 35 f1.4 hood or the Chinese copy. The tips have been great!