Does 50 cron R work well with Leica 240 M-P?

Leicabuff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking about buying a 50 cron R with an adapter to use on my M-P.

I am just wondering whether this would lead to good results. And if so what version should I pick up?

I see there are ROM versions but they look mostly they were done recently. Is there any advantages with ROM vs none ROM?

Appreciate any light on this subject.

I don't really see the point, why not a 50 Summicron M instead, there are many different versions of this lins readily available on the used market so you should be able to find one at a good price and you can focus normally without having to resort to the EVF or live-view which is the real advantage over an adapted SLR lens.

Well, it works with the EVF, as long as you remember to fit the Summi to the camera as well, but lacking rangefinder coupling it is not very rational. ROM or non ROM has nothing to do with the optics. In general they are optically near-identical (R-I/M-III) or identical (R-II/M-IV) to the corresponding Summicron M lenses.

Great lens indeed. I don't use mine with the M240 but it works fine with my Canon 5D and can be used with mirrorless cameras as well. Less expensive than the M versions from the same era with less flare in my experience. The latest version is the Summicron-R 50/2 code 11345 but i have no experience with it. Mine is the second version code 11216 with built-in hood and no ROM contacts. Those contacts are useless on non Leica cameras but i have no idea whether they are recognized by Leica digital cameras. BTW if you have no experience with the EVF of your M-P you may wish to try it before ordering the lens because the latter cannot focus with the rangefinder as you know and this EVF is an old generation.

Edit: Forgot to say that the R 50/2 focuses down to 0.5m which is a significant advantage over the 0.7m of M versions.

Edited by lct

They are certainly good lenses, and cheaper, but the optical properties are the same between M and R. If you noticed flare, it might be that your lens has a bit of haze which needs a wipe by a technician ;) . The last camera to recognize ROM input was the DMR/R9, but it may be that the L-R adapters have partial functionality.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 22.9.2019 um 09:37 schrieb Leicabuff:

I am thinking about buying a Summicron-R 50 mm with an adapter to use on my M-P.

If you happen to own a Summicron-R 50 mm then certainly you'd want to re-use it on your digital Leica M. But if you don't own one then why would you want to acquire one if you don't have a Leica R body to use it with!? That's just devious ...

Edited by LUF Admin
Removed unpolite remark.

44 minutes ago, jaapv said:

There must be a reason for the difference in flare that you noticed.

There is a difference between my M 50/2 v4 and v5 as well. Fact is the latter flares less. There is more than one optical formula in a lens to explain that i guess but i'm no techie at all.

A lens has an optical formula AKA design, it is not something that resides in it. It means the optical construction, glass, etc. i
Yes, the Summicron v4 and v5 are a slightly different design and have  slightly different properties, including flare. The R v2 is identical to the M v4. The R v1 is near-identical to the M v3.

17 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I think  I have found it. You probably used the lenses without lens hood. The Summicron-R has a recessed front element providing some flare protection. The Summicron-M has not.

I use my M lenses with hoods and no filter normally but the recessed front element of the R 50/2 must make a difference i guess. There is more than one optical formula in a lens as someone said :D.

On 9/22/2019 at 12:37 AM, Leicabuff said:

I am thinking about buying a 50 cron R with an adapter to use on my M-P.

I am just wondering whether this would lead to good results. And if so what version should I pick up?

I see there are ROM versions but they look mostly they were done recently. Is there any advantages with ROM vs none ROM?

Appreciate any light on this subject.

I use MP240 and the R to M adapter on different R lenses before; I don't see extra vignetting, losing sharpness or losing its characters if these are your concerns.

No advantages of having ROM, but if you use that to determine its age and that's all.

22 minutes ago, Exodies said:

Saying “what a foolish idea” is very different from calling someone a fool.

Good to know but i'm not sure why such an idea would be foolish. Too bad i have not my R lenses with me otherwise i would find interesting to try the R 50/2 on my M240.

For general photography it does not make sense to use the Summicron R 50 instead of any M summicron 50, but I have found one "special use" for it, together with my BEOON copy stand to copy slides :). I sold my M summicron V  in favour of my Lux-M but since I have some R cameras and lenses I found this to be a good use for it :)