Jump to content
Roribo

First lens for the Leica T

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have bought my first Leica T. It is nu first endeavour in the Leica system. It was a demo model in mint condition with alle accessoires and box. Just not a lens. 

I am wondering how to best the Leica experience for the least amount of money.

So I have found a few options from cheap to more expensive:

1. Adapt my existing Nikon D glass with a lens adapter

2. Buy a 50mm Summicron F2 lens and an adapter.

3. Buy a new Sigma 45mm f2.8

4. Buy a new Leica 18mm f/2.8

If money was no object I'd would have liked the 23mm f/2. Alas that is not the case. So any advice would be much apreciated, about the above options and getting the best Leica colour and pop experience.

 

 

 

Edited by Roribo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.If you want a Leica experience it is not a good idea to start out with third-party  lenses.

2. The Summicron behaves like a 75 mm on the T. An akward fical length to have as your main lens; the adapter is expensive.

3. Same focal length objection

4. Well matched to the T and a nice and compact lens. Ignore Pixel-peeping "inferior quality" nonsense. For its purpose - a super-compac t walkabout lens- it is a fine lens.

5. Consider buying the 18 mm used. Another option: the 18-56. Arguably one of the best APS-C standard zooms on the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the least amount of money, you may wish to try a 7artisans 35/2. Sharp at all apertures, that great little lens will give you the pop you're after for less than $300. Only serious con is flare when strong light sources are outside the frame. Bokeh is a bit busy as well but many more expensive lenses don't do better. Couple of snaps with the digital CL here: https://lctphot.smugmug.com/Diverse/7-artisans-352-on-Leica-digital-CL/n-nJBCXF

 

 

Edited by lct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manual focus with the T is kind of a nightmare : no focus peaking + low resolution live view feed makes magnified view useless. 

Get an AF lens. Otherwise get rid of T. It is not suitable for any manual lens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Jaap. Why by a Leica to put someone else's lens on it. By all means try other lenses once you have seen what Leica's can do. I would also go for the 18mm. I would not have his concerns about a Summicron-M 50 - I find 75mm equivalent a good option for a 'standard' lens. But I wouldn't go for a manual lens without the visoflex - manual focusing on a rear screen is not a good experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Manual focus with the T is kind of a nightmare : no focus peaking + low resolution live view feed makes magnified view useless. 

Get an AF lens. Otherwise get rid of T. It is not suitable for any manual lens. 

funny...i shot over 5000 images with my T-701, only with M lenses..and a lot of those images were used in 12 issues of a travel magazine.

 

look at @Louis photos in the forum..he has some very nice Manual focus shots with the T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for all of your replies. I think I'll save for an original lens to get the best experience. Going to search for a second hand 23mm f/2. Since I have my doubts about favouring the 18mm after trying out a Ricoh GR iii. It is just too wide for my liking. If I go wide I'd rather get the 11-23mm instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@frame-it Yes it’s possible for seasoned users. 

But in all honesty it is crappy to use M lenses with T body. Just compare to any other made in Germany Leica’s including X series. All have excellent manual focus abilities. Not the T. 

 

To to sum up get the Summicron-TL 23 or the Vario-Elmar-TL 18-56

Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23 is absolutely excellent. One of the best TL lenses. It beats all other TL lenses at 18 to 23mm. However it will be limited to its f/3.5-4.5 aperture range. 

Edited by nicci78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

@frame-it Yes it’s possible for seasoned users. 

But in all honesty it is crappy to use M lenses with T body. Just compare to any other made in Germany Leica’s including X series. All have excellent manual focus abilities. Not the T. 

 

To to sum up get the Summicron-TL 23 or the Vario-Elmar-TL 18-56

Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23 is absolutely excellent. One of the best TL lenses. It beats all other TL lenses at 18 to 23mm. However it will be limited to its f/3.5-4.5 aperture range. 

well, good for you, you have your own pretty strong opinions...others also have their own opinions, with pictures to back them up :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just try to give an advice for first time user.

I don’t want him to be disappointed. Backing up with photos or not, has nothing to do with how easy it is to get them or not. 

One must try before buying. There are much better option for manual focusing. That’s the reality. Yes it is still possible to get nice pictures from it. My best macro pictures comes from T + APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 in manual focus. But I do not find the combo satisfying enough to keep the T. 

 

Keep in mind that T AF is really slow. Except with Elmarit-TL 18. 

Edited by nicci78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can afford a (used) 11-23 take it! 

Believe me, you will sure buy it one day, because it is one of the best lenses in the world. So why not take it as your first lens? 

The quality tops the 18-56 but the 18-56 is a little cheaper. At eBay you maybe can get a 18-56 for about 850-900€, the (newer) 11-23 will be about 1200-1300 (both used).

Edited by DirkS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DirkS said:

If you can afford a (used) 11-23 take it! 

Believe me, you will sure buy it one day, because it is one of the best lenses in the world. So why not take it as your first lens? 

Thank you DirkS for your input. I also have a Fuji XE3 with the 10-24mm. I do not possess a 23mm prime in my six lenses big Fuji system. So that's why I'd rather go for the 23mm. Since it is a focal length I do not own as a prime and it is an f/2 lens. It will complement better the gear I already own.

With that said I have found a second hand 23mm f/2 and have a two Fuji lenses I do not use much to trade in which softens the blow on my bank account 😄

Edited by Roribo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy from a good Leica dealer a nearly new TL 23mm or 18-56mm lens. The former gives you an edge on speed; the latter is a superb all-rounder which will cover most of your everyday and travel photography. Do not be afraid of using higher ISO to compensate for lack of fast base aperture.

And welcome to the forum!

Edited by wda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2019 at 1:01 AM, jaapv said:

1.If you want a Leica experience it is not a good idea to start out with third-party  lenses.

2. The Summicron behaves like a 75 mm on the T. An akward fical length to have as your main lens; the adapter is expensive.

3. Same focal length objection

4. Well matched to the T and a nice and compact lens. Ignore Pixel-peeping "inferior quality" nonsense. For its purpose - a super-compac t walkabout lens- it is a fine lens.

5. Consider buying the 18 mm used. Another option: the 18-56. Arguably one of the best APS-C standard zooms on the market.

yep

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences, here's mine.

I have a T as does my Wife, I also have the CL.

My Wife has the 18-56 with the visoflex EVF and is delighted with the results, it is a stunning combination that will give you close focus as well as a good range at near prime quality.

The 23 Cron, again, is a great lens and you couldn't go far wrong with either really, it depends mainly on what YOU want to shoot with the T. I would suggest for a first time Leica user that you go with the 18-56 for it's range and variety, definitely for starters. The 18m end of the 18-56 IMO is better than the 18mm prime in terms of IQ and is only f3.5 instead of f2.8. The 18m prime however is tiny and makes the camera very easy to put into your pocket.

You have a Fuji set up already so you must have some idea about what focal length you want to shoot at. Same as the Fuji, you have a 1.5 crop factor so your 18-56 will become roughly a 24-80, etc etc. Trading is how I have to accumulate my lenses so maybe check out MBP, they offer very good trade in offers and their prices are very competitive.

If you wish to go the MF route then I highly suggest getting the Visoflex EVF, it really helps to get focus nailed, especially for my old shakey hands, trying to manually focus the T using the back screen can be demanding at first.

 

Leica T / 18-56, then grab a Visoflex EVF at some point, that is my suggestion. Enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, 

I have owned the leica T and in that time i couldn't afford the expensive lens. my first lens, i bought it's voightlander 50 f1.1

but the lens that i mounted on Leica T and impressed me was leica summarit 75 f2.5. 

The razor sharp with good rendering 

if the budget is not your problem. i think the Leica TL lens 35 f1.4 would be the good option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leica T + 7artisans 55mm f1.4 T-Mount (to start up with manual again)...

This photo is SOOC and with a price tag of 169 euro brand new, I am happy with the lens'result.

I manage to acquire a mint Leica TL + Summicron 23mm f2 a month ago, swap my Leica T with Visoflex Typ 020 and keep the 7artisans to compliment my 23mm...

The Summicron 23mm f2 is on a different class. The 7artisans 55mm being 1.4 with no adapter needed is a nice to have.

Edited by Obidowankenobi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 6:27 PM, Marac said:

Hi there.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences, here's mine.

I have a T as does my Wife, I also have the CL.

My Wife has the 18-56 with the visoflex EVF and is delighted with the results, it is a stunning combination that will give you close focus as well as a good range at near prime quality.

The 23 Cron, again, is a great lens and you couldn't go far wrong with either really, it depends mainly on what YOU want to shoot with the T. I would suggest for a first time Leica user that you go with the 18-56 for it's range and variety, definitely for starters. The 18m end of the 18-56 IMO is better than the 18mm prime in terms of IQ and is only f3.5 instead of f2.8. The 18m prime however is tiny and makes the camera very easy to put into your pocket.

You have a Fuji set up already so you must have some idea about what focal length you want to shoot at. Same as the Fuji, you have a 1.5 crop factor so your 18-56 will become roughly a 24-80, etc etc. Trading is how I have to accumulate my lenses so maybe check out MBP, they offer very good trade in offers and their prices are very competitive.

If you wish to go the MF route then I highly suggest getting the Visoflex EVF, it really helps to get focus nailed, especially for my old shakey hands, trying to manually focus the T using the back screen can be demanding at first.

 

Leica T / 18-56, then grab a Visoflex EVF at some point, that is my suggestion. Enjoy.

Your post almost made me reconsider purchasing the 23mm f/2. Thank you for your input. Still bought the 23mm though. Below a result edited in Lightroom Classic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By sandro
      Does anyone know when the infrared marks on Leitz/Leica lenses were not used anymore? I am checking my own lenses:
      Hektor 13,5 cm (1956): yes; Elmar 135 mm (1962): no
      Elmar 9 cm (1937): yes; Elmar 9 cm (1952): yes; Elmar 9 cm collapsible (1954): yes; Elmar 90mm (1962, new version or II): no
      Summicron 50mm II (1960): no; Summicron 50mm III (1968): no
      Summitar 50mm (1948): yes
      Summar 5 cm (1937): yes
      Elmar 5 cm (1939): yes
      None of my 3,5cm/35mm lenses has the R-mark
      Best, Lex
    • By frame-it
      What is the Curved lever attached to the lens for?

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By chris_tribble
      I'm currently wrestling with which lenses to keep / sell  / add - and wonder if others are dealing with similar issues.
      At the moment I'm using two systems.  L mount and M mount. 
      The L mount system is one SL2 body and the following lenses:
      VE 24-90
      VE 90-280
      Sigma 45 f2.8 DG DN
      The M system is two M10 bodies and:
      15 Voigtlander Super-wide Heliar III f4.5
      28 Summicron Asph
      35 Summicron Asph
      50 Summilux Asph
      50 Summarit f2.4
      75 Summarit f2.4
      90 Macro-Elmar + macro adapter
      135 M Apo-Telyt f3.4

      In the current circumstances, my daily carry everywhere is the SL2 + 24-90.  I never thought it would be so easy to manage - but it is.  Because of how life is at the moment, I'm hardly using the VE 90-280.  This means there is a large lump of money sitting in a lens that is little used.  However, I got it for a good price used and I'll hold on to it for a year or two and then review.  I don't use the Sigma 45 so much since I got the VE 24-90 (which is SUCH a good, well behaved lense), but I still like the images I make and I am happy to retain it for now.  I'm also not using the M's much at present. This isn't a reason for getting rid of them - but the retained lenses are another issue.  If I look back through thousands of images in my Lightroom archive, the three M lenses that dominate are 28 / 35 / 50.  The others account for only about 5% of images.  I loved the 90 Macro when I first got it - but I was mainly using it as a compact medium telephoto on the M10, and not really using it for macro!  AND The Sigma 45 (with its near macro capability)  on the SL2 was so much easier to work with!  Likewise, I've had the 135 A-T for a long time, and it's a flawless lens (which works great on the SL2), but how much do I use it? Very little at the moment.  I use the Voigtlander 15 Super-wide Heliar very little too - but I know that it's essential for certain kinds of interior and landscape
      Now that I have the SL2, the lenses that are really redundant are the 50 & 75 Summarits + the 90 Macro-Elmar.  Off to Ffordes they will go.  But then what.  What am I lacking.  My current feeling is that it's a really good portrait lens and (possibly) a dedicated medium telephoto / macro lens.  Which leads me to Sigma.  It seems that the new 85 1.4 DG DN is a candidate as is the 105 Macro DG DN.  I'm also tempted by the 35 f2 DG DN - though this overlaps with the 35 Summicron (which works beautifully on either M or SL).
      SO - does anyone have experience with the two Sigma lenses mentioned above (85 / 105).  Does anyone have other thoughts?  I'm toying with the Sigma 14-35, but I'm not sure if I'd use it that much.  Heigh ho - I suppose this is all to do with too much time on my hands during the pandemic - though I did get out this morning in beautiful sunshine and snow (with the SL2 and 24-90!). Examples here: 
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  
       
      Thanks for any thoughts...
    • By Slender
      The new firmware for L lenses is available, but won't install on my SL2... 🤪
      https://en.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-SL/Leica-SL2-S/Firmware
      Direct link here
      https://en.leica-camera.com/content/download/196932/5259036/version/1/file/SLLens02.plf
    • By WanLevia
      Hi to all Leica lovers,
      I'm new to the forum, at least as registered user, and I want to thank you all for all your invisible support you gave me when searching for precious info about Leica. Probably the best resource online on this specific and lovable world.
      I'm interested to test some 35mm prime lenses (no Leica) for my digital M.
      I've heard about great results with:
      Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 Color Skopar Zeiss Biogon C 35mm f2.8 Zeiss Biogon C 35mm f2.0 (someone online affirming it is not sharp as the Zeiss 2.8) I know this is probably an old challenge but I just wanted to follow up it on 2020 , and I'm interested to a new lens.
      Anyone here who want to share its opinion both on digital or analogical is very very welcome.
      Furthermore....is it worth the Zeiss price gap (currently double the price for new)?
      Thanks a lot
      WanLevia
×
×
  • Create New...