First lens for the Leica T

Roribo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have bought my first Leica T. It is nu first endeavour in the Leica system. It was a demo model in mint condition with alle accessoires and box. Just not a lens. 

I am wondering how to best the Leica experience for the least amount of money.

So I have found a few options from cheap to more expensive:

1. Adapt my existing Nikon D glass with a lens adapter

2. Buy a 50mm Summicron F2 lens and an adapter.

3. Buy a new Sigma 45mm f2.8

4. Buy a new Leica 18mm f/2.8

If money was no object I'd would have liked the 23mm f/2. Alas that is not the case. So any advice would be much apreciated, about the above options and getting the best Leica colour and pop experience.

Edited by Roribo

1.If you want a Leica experience it is not a good idea to start out with third-party  lenses.

2. The Summicron behaves like a 75 mm on the T. An akward fical length to have as your main lens; the adapter is expensive.

3. Same focal length objection

4. Well matched to the T and a nice and compact lens. Ignore Pixel-peeping "inferior quality" nonsense. For its purpose - a super-compac t walkabout lens- it is a fine lens.

5. Consider buying the 18 mm used. Another option: the 18-56. Arguably one of the best APS-C standard zooms on the market.

For the least amount of money, you may wish to try a 7artisans 35/2. Sharp at all apertures, that great little lens will give you the pop you're after for less than $300. Only serious con is flare when strong light sources are outside the frame. Bokeh is a bit busy as well but many more expensive lenses don't do better. Couple of snaps with the digital CL here: https://lctphot.smugmug.com/Diverse/7-artisans-352-on-Leica-digital-CL/n-nJBCXF

Edited by lct

Agree with Jaap. Why by a Leica to put someone else's lens on it. By all means try other lenses once you have seen what Leica's can do. I would also go for the 18mm. I would not have his concerns about a Summicron-M 50 - I find 75mm equivalent a good option for a 'standard' lens. But I wouldn't go for a manual lens without the visoflex - manual focusing on a rear screen is not a good experience. 

32 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Manual focus with the T is kind of a nightmare : no focus peaking + low resolution live view feed makes magnified view useless. 

Get an AF lens. Otherwise get rid of T. It is not suitable for any manual lens. 

funny...i shot over 5000 images with my T-701, only with M lenses..and a lot of those images were used in 12 issues of a travel magazine.

look at @Louis photos in the forum..he has some very nice Manual focus shots with the T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for all of your replies. I think I'll save for an original lens to get the best experience. Going to search for a second hand 23mm f/2. Since I have my doubts about favouring the 18mm after trying out a Ricoh GR iii. It is just too wide for my liking. If I go wide I'd rather get the 11-23mm instead.

@frame-it Yes it’s possible for seasoned users. 

But in all honesty it is crappy to use M lenses with T body. Just compare to any other made in Germany Leica’s including X series. All have excellent manual focus abilities. Not the T. 

To to sum up get the Summicron-TL 23 or the Vario-Elmar-TL 18-56

Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23 is absolutely excellent. One of the best TL lenses. It beats all other TL lenses at 18 to 23mm. However it will be limited to its f/3.5-4.5 aperture range. 

Edited by nicci78

9 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

@frame-it Yes it’s possible for seasoned users. 

But in all honesty it is crappy to use M lenses with T body. Just compare to any other made in Germany Leica’s including X series. All have excellent manual focus abilities. Not the T. 

To to sum up get the Summicron-TL 23 or the Vario-Elmar-TL 18-56

Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23 is absolutely excellent. One of the best TL lenses. It beats all other TL lenses at 18 to 23mm. However it will be limited to its f/3.5-4.5 aperture range. 

well, good for you, you have your own pretty strong opinions...others also have their own opinions, with pictures to back them up :)

I just try to give an advice for first time user.

I don’t want him to be disappointed. Backing up with photos or not, has nothing to do with how easy it is to get them or not. 

One must try before buying. There are much better option for manual focusing. That’s the reality. Yes it is still possible to get nice pictures from it. My best macro pictures comes from T + APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 in manual focus. But I do not find the combo satisfying enough to keep the T. 

Keep in mind that T AF is really slow. Except with Elmarit-TL 18. 

Edited by nicci78

If you can afford a (used) 11-23 take it! 

Believe me, you will sure buy it one day, because it is one of the best lenses in the world. So why not take it as your first lens? 

The quality tops the 18-56 but the 18-56 is a little cheaper. At eBay you maybe can get a 18-56 for about 850-900€, the (newer) 11-23 will be about 1200-1300 (both used).

Edited by DirkS

11 minutes ago, DirkS said:

If you can afford a (used) 11-23 take it! 

Believe me, you will sure buy it one day, because it is one of the best lenses in the world. So why not take it as your first lens? 

Thank you DirkS for your input. I also have a Fuji XE3 with the 10-24mm. I do not possess a 23mm prime in my six lenses big Fuji system. So that's why I'd rather go for the 23mm. Since it is a focal length I do not own as a prime and it is an f/2 lens. It will complement better the gear I already own.

With that said I have found a second hand 23mm f/2 and have a two Fuji lenses I do not use much to trade in which softens the blow on my bank account 😄

Edited by Roribo
  • Like 2

Buy from a good Leica dealer a nearly new TL 23mm or 18-56mm lens. The former gives you an edge on speed; the latter is a superb all-rounder which will cover most of your everyday and travel photography. Do not be afraid of using higher ISO to compensate for lack of fast base aperture.

And welcome to the forum!

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 1:01 AM, jaapv said:

1.If you want a Leica experience it is not a good idea to start out with third-party  lenses.

2. The Summicron behaves like a 75 mm on the T. An akward fical length to have as your main lens; the adapter is expensive.

3. Same focal length objection

4. Well matched to the T and a nice and compact lens. Ignore Pixel-peeping "inferior quality" nonsense. For its purpose - a super-compac t walkabout lens- it is a fine lens.

5. Consider buying the 18 mm used. Another option: the 18-56. Arguably one of the best APS-C standard zooms on the market.

yep

Hi there.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences, here's mine.

I have a T as does my Wife, I also have the CL.

My Wife has the 18-56 with the visoflex EVF and is delighted with the results, it is a stunning combination that will give you close focus as well as a good range at near prime quality.

The 23 Cron, again, is a great lens and you couldn't go far wrong with either really, it depends mainly on what YOU want to shoot with the T. I would suggest for a first time Leica user that you go with the 18-56 for it's range and variety, definitely for starters. The 18m end of the 18-56 IMO is better than the 18mm prime in terms of IQ and is only f3.5 instead of f2.8. The 18m prime however is tiny and makes the camera very easy to put into your pocket.

You have a Fuji set up already so you must have some idea about what focal length you want to shoot at. Same as the Fuji, you have a 1.5 crop factor so your 18-56 will become roughly a 24-80, etc etc. Trading is how I have to accumulate my lenses so maybe check out MBP, they offer very good trade in offers and their prices are very competitive.

If you wish to go the MF route then I highly suggest getting the Visoflex EVF, it really helps to get focus nailed, especially for my old shakey hands, trying to manually focus the T using the back screen can be demanding at first.

Leica T / 18-56, then grab a Visoflex EVF at some point, that is my suggestion. Enjoy.

For me, 

I have owned the leica T and in that time i couldn't afford the expensive lens. my first lens, i bought it's voightlander 50 f1.1

but the lens that i mounted on Leica T and impressed me was leica summarit 75 f2.5. 

The razor sharp with good rendering 

if the budget is not your problem. i think the Leica TL lens 35 f1.4 would be the good option.

• Like 1

Leica T + 7artisans 55mm f1.4 T-Mount (to start up with manual again)...

This photo is SOOC and with a price tag of 169 euro brand new, I am happy with the lens'result.

I manage to acquire a mint Leica TL + Summicron 23mm f2 a month ago, swap my Leica T with Visoflex Typ 020 and keep the 7artisans to compliment my 23mm...

The Summicron 23mm f2 is on a different class. The 7artisans 55mm being 1.4 with no adapter needed is a nice to have.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Obidowankenobi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/25/2019 at 6:27 PM, Marac said:

Hi there.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences, here's mine.

I have a T as does my Wife, I also have the CL.

My Wife has the 18-56 with the visoflex EVF and is delighted with the results, it is a stunning combination that will give you close focus as well as a good range at near prime quality.

The 23 Cron, again, is a great lens and you couldn't go far wrong with either really, it depends mainly on what YOU want to shoot with the T. I would suggest for a first time Leica user that you go with the 18-56 for it's range and variety, definitely for starters. The 18m end of the 18-56 IMO is better than the 18mm prime in terms of IQ and is only f3.5 instead of f2.8. The 18m prime however is tiny and makes the camera very easy to put into your pocket.

You have a Fuji set up already so you must have some idea about what focal length you want to shoot at. Same as the Fuji, you have a 1.5 crop factor so your 18-56 will become roughly a 24-80, etc etc. Trading is how I have to accumulate my lenses so maybe check out MBP, they offer very good trade in offers and their prices are very competitive.

If you wish to go the MF route then I highly suggest getting the Visoflex EVF, it really helps to get focus nailed, especially for my old shakey hands, trying to manually focus the T using the back screen can be demanding at first.

Leica T / 18-56, then grab a Visoflex EVF at some point, that is my suggestion. Enjoy.

Your post almost made me reconsider purchasing the 23mm f/2. Thank you for your input. Still bought the 23mm though. Below a result edited in Lightroom Classic.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6