RobM

Close-up lens for M-mount?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the M9 version of the Monochrom, and would like to get close-up lens. I'm not looking for true macro. 

My current inventory of lenses is non-Leica, due only to finances: 7Artisans 50mm 1.1 - an amazing lens for the price - and thanks to an adapter, two screw-mount lenses, the Elmar 90mm f4, and the Voigtlander 21mm f4.

The cheapest option would be close-up filters on the 50mm, but at a decided loss of quality. What other options would you suggest? Perhaps an adapter for a, say, Canon macro lens?

The ver1 macro Elmar 90 with the macro adapter with goggles would be easiest. Not a true macro, but a closer focusing 90, that allows the RF to work in the close range. Excellent image quality, small size, collapsible without problems on the M9.

The 1960s dual-range Summicron that was so good on film models will not work on the M9 as it’s extended cam won’t clear obstructions in the M9. I forgot and tried to mount one, and it knocked my M9 RF out of cal.

Macro, like 1:1 or close up? Those two are very different thing.

For close up I have Zenit LTM close up ring and any LTM lens on it.

it is LTM lens, LTM to LTM close up ring, LTM to M adapter and M-E.

Those Zenit close up rings might be rare on eBay, but not expensive.

And 20$ Industar-61 L/D will gives sharp images on MM.

This should gives you macro level, but framing is much difficult than with short close up ring, extension tube.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INDUSTAR-61-F-2-8-52mm-m39-LTM-LEICA-mount-MACRO-IN-BOX/303182523115?hash=item4697162aeb:g:aiYAAOSwVxlc~JXF

Edited by Ko.Fe.

45 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Oufro and the 50.

Well the electronic visoflex is needed, so minimum of M240 camera first. ie must have live-view. 

It's what i use quite often and gives me 1:2, and simple. With collapsible Summicron 50mm can get infinity focus also...quality is good.

M9 you'll have to use the original, clunky Visoflex III and a lenshead from  90mm or 135mm lens. With Bellows II makes a good tripod rig which will give true macro.

Not easy Rob...it's one of the reasons i got an M240 (M-P)...just for live-view...i was happy with my M8's.

I suggest another brand camera rig or buy an M240 with a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5...and you'll be flying.

All best.

As David Strachan alludes to, with a CCD Leica digital (M8, M9 or Monochrom v.1) you cannot view and focus through the lens except via the antique (and bulky) optical/mechanical Visoflex finder device - which converts your M into an SLR of sorts - moving mirror, focus screen, prism, the works. You'd want a version III to fit over the taller digital body height. They seem to sell for about 200 (£€$ of your choice) ± 150.

With close-up add-on filters that change the optics, focusing otherwise will be extremely trial-and-error - the lens focus scale will no longer be accurate by an order of magnitude, nor will the classic rangefinder geometry. Which raises the question - how were you planning to focus, using a close-up filter?

The 90mm f/4 Macro-Elmar (first version from this millennium - post 2000- as mentioned by TomB_tx) and the much older 50mm Dual-Range allow closer focusing and framing with the normal rangefinder/viewfinder, via optical goggles. The 50mm may have trouble fitting on a digital body, however, and the 90 Macro + goggles is not cheap.

Other lenses that focus closest and frame tightest "normally" without extra hardware or issues are the Leica 75 Summicron, Summilux, and Summarit f/2.4 - none of those are cheap either, compared to your current lens group. They get to about 1/7th life-size. The picture below was made with a 75 Summilux at about .85m...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many thanks for all the responses, some of which I even understand 😎 Seriously, I'll follow up all responses with further research. Cheers.

Hello Rob, you may define what size of framing you plan to use with your Monochrom.

Proxi (... to 1:4 ) can be done a bit easier than "real macro" (1:1 onward).

Without EVF capability, and not considering the old Visoflex (which is good only for hard-nosed nostalgics… ;)) , the better solution is the Macro Elmar 90 with its goggled extender : smart design, light, easy to carry, good quality and an appreciable "next to macro" focusing range.

It doesn't come for cheap… a reasonable alternative (which I used a lot, before acquiring the Macro Elmar 90) is the SOMKY+UOORF with Summicron 50 lenshead.(RF focusing up to 50cm, like the Summicron DR)  : should you already own a Summicron rigid I wouldn't hesitate to advise you in this direction (the 2 needed components are not difficult to find at reasonable prices) ; if one has to buy also the Summicron, total cost isn't negligible but anyway about half than a good used Macro Elmar 90 (and you gain, anyway, an iconic and Always enjoyable 50 mm… B))

9 hours ago, david strachan said:

Well the electronic visoflex is needed, so minimum of M240 camera first. ie must have live-view. 

It's what i use quite often and gives me 1:2, and simple. With collapsible Summicron 50mm can get infinity focus also...quality is good.

M9 you'll have to use the original, clunky Visoflex III and a lenshead from  90mm or 135mm lens. With Bellows II makes a good tripod rig which will give true macro.

Not easy Rob...it's one of the reasons i got an M240 (M-P)...just for live-view...i was happy with my M8's.

I suggest another brand camera rig or buy an M240 with a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5...and you'll be flying.

All best.

No it’s not. The OUFRO was invented a long time before the visoflex. 

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

No it’s not. The OUFRO was invented a long time before the visoflex. 

OUFRO is a 10mm thick ring   M bayonet male - female… Visoflex reflex housings did exist well before the M bayonet Leicas .

OUFRO can be used (and I do) as a quick and light extender for M Mount lenses for near distance focusing… but no RF coupling, so you NEED an EVF to focus.

OUFRO/16469 is one of Visoflex III accessory created for coupling Summicron 35mm and 50mm to use on Visoflex III ...

if not done, this Visoflex III chart can help to find the setup and combinaisons needed.

more infos in this older 1960 chart ... (thanks luigi bertolotti ! )

Edited by a.noctilux

Yes, you are all talking above my pay rate, but I'll look into all your recommendations.

Rob,

with your now lenses, you would not be able to use OUFRO or close-up lens with the RF of your Monochrom.

You may buy another lens to approch more than you are able to focus with your kit now.

As Luigi approch with SOMKY, for lesser money but as good result, I'd choose the "old" Elmar 2.8/50mm not newer Elmar-M 2.8/50mm which is not compaptible

with SOMKY, you even don't need the UOORF ring (selling 30€ to 60€ ).

That lets you RF focus from 1:15 to 1:7.5 if you can live with that.

SOMKY (about 100 to 150€ ) Elmar 2.8/50 (about 250€) = 350€ to 400€

Alternative with Summicron 50mm Rigid about 700€ to 1000€ (and much more)

Edited by a.noctilux

Thanks, Arnaud, for simplifying things for me. I understand what you have written 🙂

Rob, you are welcome.

Had you explored the possibility of close-up (even some cropping) with your Elmar 90mm ?

I've used the Elmar LTM 4/90mm (for fun as I own also Macro-Elmar-M 90mm since long).

Elmar 90mm field cover 22cm x 33cm at about 1:9 with RF focus to 1m from film plane not bad for RF lens.

I have example here Monochrom 1600 ISO, Elmar 90mm at f/4 and orange filter :

no cropping here

As seen somewhere else,

my small/light/cheap kit trio with Monochrom

Edited by a.noctilux

Close enough for me, thanks. Yes, I've tried cropping, of course, but it's not quite the same. 

16 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

The ver1 macro Elmar 90 with the macro adapter with goggles would be easiest. Not a true macro, but a closer focusing 90, that allows the RF to work in the close range. Excellent image quality, small size, collapsible without problems on the M9.

The 1960s dual-range Summicron that was so good on film models will not work on the M9 as it’s extended cam won’t clear obstructions in the M9. I forgot and tried to mount one, and it knocked my M9 RF out of cal.

The dual-range Summicron works beautifully on my M9 Mono (and my M10) as long as you don't try to focus further away than about 12' - which obviously you wouldn't if you were doing close-ups. But I'm not sure that it would be a sensible solution for the OP anyway as it doesn't allow really close-up work, and certainly not macro. And while not expensive compared to many Leica lenses, it still costs a considerable sum.

Visoflex III + Bellows II + 16596 adapter + Tele-Elmar 4,0/135. Instead of 16596 I would use the standard 16558 and the lens head, but I can not find any picture of that now.

(picture taken with M8 + Visoflex II + 9cm Elmar)