spot metering with the Q2

jspence

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all -- This is my first ever post so pardon if this has already been treated on another thread (I looked but couldn't find it).  I'm testing a Q2 and the experience is wonderful.  However, I'm confused about the spot metering.  When I'm shooting on manual, I can't seem to be able to find any kind of display of what exactly is being spot-metered on the LCD/EVF.  When I switch to AF, there is a little cross in the center (for single-point AF), which I can move around, and the spot metering position appears to correlate with this cross.  But I like to shoot on manual focus, and when on manual this little cross doesn't turn up on the screen at all.  I assume it's metering to the center, but "center" can be hard to guesstimate. 

I'm coming from the Fuji x-t-3 where you get a little box on spot meter mode (both manual focus and auto).  I like to dial in to the detail (usually highlights) and exposure-comp to plus two or so, then hit AEL lock, then recompose and shoot.  This method has served me well.  But I'm frustrated that I can't seem to find any option for spot meter display on manual mode on the Q2.  

Really this is a display issue, I suppose.

Also, does anyone know what degree the spot meter is?  (one degree?)  I can't find anything in the manual.  

Any help is greatly appreciated!

All best to you all - 

Jacob Spencer

Cambridge Massachusetts

Edited by jspence

Thanks for the reply!  I agree, focus peaking is a breeze with the Q2.  I've been using the heck out of it.  But my question is really about metering more than focus.  

What I'm hoping to find is some kind of indicator on the screen/EVC that tells me where my spot meter is measuring.  

Page 61 of the user manual: "The metering fields are indicated by a small frame (field metering) or a cross (spot metering). The very small measuring range for spot metering allows focusing on tiny details of the subject." - Actually, when on auto-focus, there is no cross but still a square. And manual, nothing at all. 

On 9/20/2019 at 6:47 AM, jspence said:

Thanks Freudus. How does Leica expect anyone to spotmeter “tiny details” without any index (on MF)?  I’m flabbergasted- really want to buy this Q2 but this could be a dealbreaker. 😞

I used spot meter often on my Canon.  I'd be happy just knowing if it went to center...

• Like 1