Leica Fotos vs 1.3.1

rfunnell

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This morning  I noticed an Apple App Store update to Leica Fotos version 1.3.1 .

As I have been running the Beta software for IOS 13  I got excited to think that finally the GPS metadata import function  on the Q2 may finally work.

But unfortunately it is still at the same stage as when I last tested it in the previous version.

I did manage to get GPS metadata using it in the 'Remote' mode but after setting in IOS  General/Location to allow location access 'always' .

The App works for remote to a certain degree but I can't see any progress since it's last release  vs 1.3.0 

As I was told once before when submitting feedback that I needed to be patient  but after having the camera since it's release its disapointing.

I haven't been able to find any info or release notes on the Fotos 1.3.1 update. Are you sure the update purports to address the flawed functionality of the GPS feature? Perhaps the update is just to make the app compatible with IOS 13?

My cynical take on the GPS feature (and Leica software in general) is it isn't coming anytime soon. 

On 9/18/2019 at 11:41 PM, rfunnell said:

This morning  I noticed an Apple App Store update to Leica Fotos version 1.3.1 .

As I have been running the Beta software for IOS 13  I got excited to think that finally the GPS metadata import function  on the Q2 may finally work.

But unfortunately it is still at the same stage as when I last tested it in the previous version.

I did manage to get GPS metadata using it in the 'Remote' mode but after setting in IOS  General/Location to allow location access 'always' .

The App works for remote to a certain degree but I can't see any progress since it's last release  vs 1.3.0 

As I was told once before when submitting feedback that I needed to be patient  but after having the camera since it's release its disapointing.

Apparently the Leica application developers are unable to master low power bluetooth, unlike, you know, everyone else in the world. I think it's pretty disappointing that this highly touted and advertised feature of the Q2 is still unsupported by the app 6+ months after release of the camera. This was one of the features that really excited me when I was making my decision to buy the Q2, and there is no workaround in its absence. I didn't buy a Q2 so I could shoot using my iPhone as a remote viewfinder and remote control. I already have an iPhone camera for that.

Edited by danielmfrank

1 hour ago, danielmfrank said:

Apparently the Leica application developers are unable to master low power bluetooth, unlike, you know, everyone else in the world. I think it's pretty disappointing that this highly touted and advertised feature of the Q2 is still unsupported by the app 6+ months after release of the camera. This was one of the features that really excited me when I was making my decision to buy the Q2, and there is no workaround in its absence. I didn't buy a Q2 so I could shoot using my iPhone as a remote viewfinder and remote control. I already have an iPhone camera for that.

Daniel,

How would it work differently if it worked as you desire? Just curious. I do not like using Fotos to control the Q2, but see no alternative. I wish I could use a cable release. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, pico said:

We should work on that. There are adapters for other brands to allow a shutter release. I'll be back.

Thanks. There’s been a 3-D printed adapter for the Q that slides into the flash shoe. It works and I have one. The Q2 has a slightly different positioning of the shutter button so that adapter does not work well. What I really wish for is one out of metal. Aluminum I guess. It would be stiffer than the 3-D printed material. Love to hear any ideas you have. I’ve imagined a Thumbs Up in combo with a shutter cable screw adapter would be sweet.  I often use the 2-sec timer to isolate any vibrations, but that does not work for real macro photography “in the wild”. Small movement can ruin an image. Timing a shot can be tricky and an “instant” shutter button is required. 

On 9/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, dusuacangmong said:

My Q is FW 3.0 and i can't connect to the FOTO app, it said need upgrade fw to newest, is this true?

Any tips and trick for this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is what FW3.1 adds to FW3.0

On 9/20/2019 at 12:23 PM, Leica Guy said:

Daniel,

How would it work differently if it worked as you desire? Just curious. I do not like using Fotos to control the Q2, but see no alternative. I wish I could use a cable release. 

The way they promised it would work with the Q2, is that once your Q2 is paired with your phone, you just use the Q2 as always, and the phone feeds GPS location data to the camera via the low power Bluetooth connection. The real time GPS data then appears in the EXIF data for any pictures you take. It just works transparently, as long as the phone is in range and the Fotos app is allowed to run in the background. Functionally, it's as if the camera has GPS built in.

Currently, you can only get GPS data into Q2 pictures if you take them using the phone app in full remote control mode, with all the Q2's physical controls, viewfinder, and back screen disabled. This is pretty much useless to me. If I wanted to take pictures with my iPhone, I wouldn't have spent five grand on a Leica.

What I am finding:

I can connect with the Fotos app and use the remote to get at least one shot.  I check it in Fotos to make sure GPS data is there.  If it is...

Then I can disconnect on the Camera, leaving the app open.  Now, *IF* I see the Bluetooth and GPS icons in the lower right of the screen brightly lit (and you'll have to see it both ways to notice the annoyingly subtle difference) - if they are bright, then you shoot with the camera and get GPS data - a handful of shots and soon it stops working.  What causes it to die, I have no idea, but eventually the GPS icon will be less bright and it will no longer work.

Moreover, after this happens, you will most likely need to restart the camera to be able to get GPS data to record again even shooting with Fotos.

What's worse is that I cannot get Fotos to reliably focus - I tap and the preview focuses, but when I check the shot, it may have focused on who knows what.  Oh, and make sure you Touch Assist on in the camera or it won't let you focus at all!  And when I come out of the app and disconnect, the camera is in "face detection" mode regardless of the settings I started with. I don't recall those issues with earlier versions.

I think the bugs may be as much or more in the camera firmware as in the app.  The combination is dreadfully buggy to the point of nearly useless.  

16 hours ago, bullmoon said:

What I am finding:

I can connect with the Fotos app and use the remote to get at least one shot.  I check it in Fotos to make sure GPS data is there.  If it is...

Then I can disconnect on the Camera, leaving the app open.  Now, *IF* I see the Bluetooth and GPS icons in the lower right of the screen brightly lit (and you'll have to see it both ways to notice the annoyingly subtle difference) - if they are bright, then you shoot with the camera and get GPS data - a handful of shots and soon it stops working.  What causes it to die, I have no idea, but eventually the GPS icon will be less bright and it will no longer work.

Moreover, after this happens, you will most likely need to restart the camera to be able to get GPS data to record again even shooting with Fotos.

What's worse is that I cannot get Fotos to reliably focus - I tap and the preview focuses, but when I check the shot, it may have focused on who knows what.  Oh, and make sure you Touch Assist on in the camera or it won't let you focus at all!  And when I come out of the app and disconnect, the camera is in "face detection" mode regardless of the settings I started with. I don't recall those issues with earlier versions.

I think the bugs may be as much or more in the camera firmware as in the app.  The combination is dreadfully buggy to the point of nearly useless.  

FOTOS has too many bugs and idiosyncrasies to reliably use. I also find focusing to be very problematic. I have and will continue to give feedback to the support team that we need manual focus on the app. It is almost unusable in macro mode as is. 

• Like 2

There is a parallel example to compare with the Fotos Q2 capabilities.  I use a Lumix S1R and the Lumix Synch software, which uses Low Power BT for pairing and sharing time and GPS metadata, then wakes up the WiFi if I want to see recent shots (WiFi wakeup is not very fast, but seeing picture thumbnails is much faster than Fotos).  I don't know if the GPS info stays working for hours in the field, but I'll check.  Panasonic and Leica do talk to each other, so it seems reasonable to ask that Fotos do the same basic things at least that Synch is capable of.

BTW, if you use the WiFi for a while, then let the Fotos app power off or go to sleep, does the Q2 WiFi stay on, draining the battery?

I love my leica camera's but I just don't know why they are behind in this area can't Panasonic help out here.

I think it would have been better not to suggest the GPS metadata function was coming than not deliver it .

Maybe when the firmware is next updated it may become functional I'm optimistic. 

How important are the GPS data and local time stamps in the picture files to Q2 users?  If there are apps that can help you sort out pictures by location and augment them with maps,  I would think this matters.

In fact, right now it seems that smartphone connectivity to camera apps see the low energy BlueTooth link as just a simpler way to wake up the WiFi.  I am surprised that there isn't a simple way to connect with BT without even starting the WiFi. It's tricky in Synch.  Is it even possible with Fotos and the Q2?

On 10/8/2019 at 2:38 PM, Leica Guy said:

FOTOS has too many bugs and idiosyncrasies to reliably use. I also find focusing to be very problematic. I have and will continue to give feedback to the support team that we need manual focus on the app. It is almost unusable in macro mode as is. 

On my phone Fotos just gives me a Leica logo. I give up. I just use the timer if I can't push the button.

• Like 1