The first S lens — what should it be?

setuporg

1 hour ago, setuporg said:

@xiaubauu2009 yes that's what I got and noticed that the central shutter is slower!  Still cool to have all the functions operable and keep it as an option for flash sync and for a future X1D adapter...

I heard from the Alpa people when I was using their Alpa 12FPS that has those adaptors... they said they are keen to adapt Leica S lens onto their FPS system so you can use it with digital back, the only problem is that Leica won't open up the mount protocol so there's no way to control the lens electronically. Unless people are willing to reverse engineer the protocol, there's not going to have much chance of having 8x10 adaptor...

Contax 645 is much better choice in this regards. Larger image circle too.

• 2 weeks later...

As a progress update, a whole system quickly got together, with 24, 30-90, 35, 45, 70, 100, and 180.  The 70 was a great start, and the 35 complemented it.  Then a zoom appeared and proved amazing, truly exercising the advantages of the DSLR.  The 100 adds low light capability, amazing resolution and fast AF.  The 45 is unique, properly widening without being too wide, and the 180 is useful for kids' sports and candid street photography from afar.  All in all, the S system is superb, and enables years of enjoyment and unique art.

1 hour ago, setuporg said:

I find it hard to justify after 100 and 180.  The 100 is lighter and faster...  

The 120mm macro is a stunning lens.  Yes, it is longer than the 100, but the bokeh is so smooth. I understand why many prefer it to the s 100 as a portrait lens. 

S120mm examples.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

The 120 is the best lens in the whole system...as near perfect a lens as any I have ever used. With the macro function as well, it is extremely versatile and the focal length is perfect for portraits, landscapes as well as studio work like artwork reproduction, camera based scanning and so on. I never really got on with the 180 as well...too short to be a true telephoto and too long to be useful for more standard images. I would have preferred a 250 or longer...

• Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 4:27 AM, John McMaster said:

Need to add the 120mm macro, my favourite lens....

John, @ropo54, @Stuart Richardson -- thanks for sharing the photos from 120!  Do you guys also have the 100?  How would you compare them for your own use cases?  I find that the 100 works very well in low light and great to shoot the kids with.  It would be a bit of a stretch to justify the 120 after the 100 for me now...

Edited by setuporg

34 minutes ago, setuporg said:

John, @ropo54, @Stuart Richardson -- thanks for sharing the photos from 120!  Do you guys also have the 100?  How would you compare them for your own use cases?  I find that the 100 works very well in low light and great to shoot the kids with.  It would be a bit of a stretch to justify the 120 after the 100 for me now...

The difference is in the bokeh.  The 120's bokeh is silky smooth.  The 100's is more blurred.  (I had recently posted some comparison shots of the bokeh. I'll see if I can locate and repost here).  Rob

• Like 1

Top is S100, bottom is S 120. (Thread #2607 and 2608 in the S image thread for a comparison of the bokeh).

• Thanks 2

Top S100; Bottom S120

• Like 1

Just now, setuporg said:

Thanks @ropo54!  I do not see 100 as much worse off than 120 but can appreciate the different character of the 120...

Each one is excellent. The S 120 is smoother, the S100 is more blurred; neither is "worse off"!  Just a matter of taste. If I could only have one, it'd be the S120. But, as you point out the S 100 is faster and 'more nimble'.  Trade-offs.  Rob

• Like 1

As an aside, the S 120 is also superb on the Leica SL 601.  (From San Francisco, this summer).

• Like 1

Setuporg -- I have not used the 100mm. I bought the 120 when I got the S2, and the 100mm was introduced several years later. My photography is more focused around landscape, studio work and architecture/infrastructure, but I have done some editorial portrait work with the 120mm and it works just as well for that. I think the 100mm is surely a great lens, and I think the size would be a nice bonus, but I think it is not quite as versatile, which is why I have so far given it a pass. If I could find it for a low price, I might still buy it, but given the 120mm, I have not felt the need...I would rather add an SL or S1R for the price. The 120mm is incredibly good at all distances and apertures (up to 13-16 or so...it does lose a good bit of sharpness at 22), assuming you can fit your subject within the shallow DOF at wide apertures. It has nearly non-existent distortion, a flat field (extremely useful for artwork reproduction or copy work), nice, smooth bokeh, no weird color fringing or bokeh fringing, minimal vignetting, great build quality and manual focus. Basically it is one of the very few lenses I own that leaves me with nothing to criticize. The main detriment is the fairly hefty size and weight, and comparatively slower focus due to the heavy elements.  

I can try to find some pictures, but none of the landscape ones will really show that much on the web, and I do not have the portrait ones easily available. I am teaching a printing class at the photo school in the morning so do not have time to sort it right now, but if I get the time, I will try to find some. In general, I think it has a very similar signature to that of the 100mm APO Elmarit R, if you ever used that lens. I believe it is an updated version of that magnificent lens, adding AF and a 1/3rd of a stop of aperture. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys you convinced me that 120mm is a must, and I got it and agree.  Very different from the 100mm.  Smooth portraits, macro, and a bit longer for street photos.  A great festival lens.

Now the only lens missing from the system is 30mm.  Give me your best justification on how it's different from the (faster) 35mm.:)

• Haha 1