The first S lens — what should it be?

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK I found a Typ 007 I could not pass and now need to get a lens for it ASAP.  I love landscapes, architecture, and my kids as my main subjects so my typical X1D kit is a 30mm and a 90mm.  I’d like to start with a wide lens, and looks like 24mm, 30mm, and 35mm are available.  I also like the prices of the 70mm.  I enjoy the 50mm on the M.  

Which of the wider ones makes a good walk-around first lens for S, which one is the best IQ and which one is the lightest?

Light, walk around and S are usually not in the same sentence. The M and M6 best fit this description. For lenses the 120, 100 and 45 are my favorites. The 24 is very good too. Good luck, the S is a nice piece, walk around at least for me it is not. I like to use it in the studio with all kinds of light on a tripod. IQ is great if you print.

• Like 1

Yes I understand it's all not light, but I'm prepared to try, especially after walking around with the Pentax K1 and all three modern zooms for it, the 70-200 can probably count as a small S lens.:) . So I guess I'm wondering if there's a "lighter" lens...  Some of them look smaller than others...

Since I got the 24, it lives on the camera. Before that, the 35 and 70, and 120 were my kit. Everyone loves the 45, but I don't seem to click with it. The 100 is fine, but the 120 is much more versatile and makes a great portrait lens as well. I don't have a 30, as that FoV is also one that doesn't click.

The point is, it's a personal decision. There are no bad optics in the S system. The primes are all stunning. Some recent Hassy and Fuji lenses may be more perfect, but the character of S lenses as a matched system is unsurpassed. If you prefer tech cam lenses, I won't argue, but that's it.

I love the 70 for kids, it is a little longer than 50 on FF, renders very nice, is relativly small (in S world) and you can get it for good prices. The 100 renders also great, but I find f2.0 almost too shallow and hard to focus accurate.

24/30/35/45 are all fine lenses and I would decide based which focal length you prefer. 24 is very interesting lens, but also the gap between 24 and 70 is quite big, so you might need something in between one day. The 35 is slightly lighter/shorter than the 30 and the 45.

For some time I had only 35 and 70 and that combo worked quite well for me. Do you keep your x1d? If you have 30 and 90 for the x1d maybe you choose different focal length for the S? 

If I had to start with just one lens I would probably choose 70, or if you do more landscape maybe 35 or 45 instead.

I recommend to buy lenses which have already a replaced AF motor.

• Like 1

B&H (and other sites) provide specs on each lens, including weight, length, diameter, filter size, etc.  Nothing, however, beats holding the real thing and seeing  how it balances for you on the camera, if you can.  The 70, as noted, can be a good starting point. 

Another decision might be your choice of focus screen; standard or split image.  These are user interchangeable or can be done by a dealer.

Jeff

• Like 1

These days, I use three S lenses. I very much enjoy my 24mm and 120mm and I too started out with the 70 mm. I agree about the fact that the 70mm is light, relatively compact and very versatile. Since it's a normal field of view, 'everything' seems to fit, which is nice when you only have one lens in the beginning.

Contrast, bokeh and sharpness of the 70mm are generally well regarded and it's often the cheapest S glass you can get. 

My 70 and 120 are CS versions because I like to keep my options open and who knows when a leaf shutter might come in handy. For instance I like to do abstract stuff from close-by with the 120mm and 1/1000 sync with flash comes in quite handy in order to prevent motion blur. And if I'm not mistaken, the Sinar 3045 work with CS lenses only.

• Like 1

If you like a bit wider perspective than a normal 50-55mm lens, I would highly recommend the 45mm Elmarit-S lens. It is one of sharpest S lenses that I have used, with a very smooth rendering for out of focus areas, similar to the current 35mm Summilux-M. ASPH. I use it more than the 70mm as a normal lens now.  

• Like 1

The 70mm is the obvious first lens to get and don't let the fact that it is typically half the price of the others make you think it's any less of a lens, it isn't, it's outstanding and if you read about it's design you'll see it's every bit as advanced in terms of construction and design as the other considerably more expensive lenses. I think the price difference is simply that everyone who has an S also has this lens so they sell many more units (and always expected to).

You see a LOT of 35mm and almost as many 30mm lenses on the second hand market but 45mm examples are like hens teeth. You can buy the others all day long but I've only ever seen one second hand 45mm lens for sale in the UK over the last two years. I really should have bought that one when i had the chance. I think people buy the 35mm and then find it's just too wide for them, at least that's my theory.

• Like 1

@geetee1972, I see exactly what you mean about the 35mm seeming to wide for some, but I am of the opposite opionion, fortunately! (As it will be the second lens I'll be getting.:)

The reason is the XCD 45mm, which is the kit lens on the X1D and thus was my first MF lens.  It is small and light on XCD, although not fast, and proved too long optically for the landscapes and cityscapes that somehow come up naturally with the X1D.  I've been compelled to obtain the XCD 30mm fairly quickly, as many of the X1D shooters also realized (so it as a bit of a bidding on ebay!), and the X1D + 30mm combo is my favorite wide walkaround, with the 65mm being the next favorite one, similarly to the 24/28 Lux + 50 Lux/APO for the M.  Thus I'll not wont the 45mm on the S.  Curiously, the S 35+70mm corresponds to XCD 30+65mm, shifted by 5mm.  I prefer that S 35mm is faster than S 30mm, otherwise it would be even harder to decide.  The fact that the S lenses are a bit faster than XCD adds another nice wrinkle, or excuse, to try the S even with the X1D II in hand...  I'm really tempted to continue with the 30-90 zoom, but the chorus was quite discouraging so would probably have to do lots of pixel-peeping in the 60-90mm range.

Edited by setuporg

As a travel lens, the 30-90 zoom does a very fine job.  Admittedly, it’s rather heavy but very versatile.  IQ not quite as good as the primes, probably, but it gets the shot.   But I love it for travel. Otherwise, 70, 24, and 120 are my most used. 

• Like 2

70mm CS, cause it's the smallest, and gives you opportunity for sync flash outdoor. It does add bit of a minuscule delay when you use the CS function, cause of the shutter sequence compare to a non-CS version. Cause it will work like 'central shutter close, mirror up/curtain shutter up, then central shutter open' rather than just a mirror up and shutter fire kind of stuff... it's not that notieable, but you can always turn it off.... then forget about what I have just said....

• Like 1