Pan F in Moersch Tanol

Pyrogallol

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have a time for developing 35mm  Ilford Pan F in Moersch Tanol?

i finished a roll today in a Leica 111 with a 50mm Summar.

I usually use FP4 which I give 17 minutes, which is in the leaflet that comes with the Tanol, but it doesn’t give a time for Pan F. I tried 14-15 minutes which seems to be too long, negs are too dense.

on the Moersch website there is a list that gives 7.5 minutes for Pan F but that looks a bit short, and it gives 14 minutes for FP4 shorter than the printer list, also the website list is  older than the dated sheet with the developer.

i think I will try 10 minutes for the next film, unless someone has a better suggestion?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I often use PanF+ 50 film (35 mm format), but normally develop with Xtol or a combination of Rodinal/Xtol (2-step development for the latter). I am not familiar with Tanol. Development times I use in Xtol (1:2) are about 10 minutes at ISO 50. What is special about Tanol?

2 hours ago, Martin B said:

I often use PanF+ 50 film (35 mm format), but normally develop with Xtol or a combination of Rodinal/Xtol (2-step development for the latter). I am not familiar with Tanol. Development times I use in Xtol (1:2) are about 10 minutes at ISO 50. What is special about Tanol?

I use Rodinal all the time with FP4 and sometimes Tanol.

With Pan F I was going to use Perceptol which is nice with the slower film, but decided to make more use of the Moersch Tanol. It is a “staining” developer in the pyro family and good for smooth rendition of shadow detail and skies.

i have now developed a couple of films for 10 minutes and that seems about right.

these two pictures were printed from Tanol negatives and I used one in the current Barnack Challenge, Leica 111 with Summar lens.

more about Tanol can be found here.  https://www.moersch-photochemie.de/files/articles/TanolundCo-eng.pdf

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Two more pictures using Pan F in Moersch Tanol for 10 or 11 minutes, which is working out just right now.

The small pond yacht in the sun, Leica 111 with 35mm Nikkor, 500th f11.

The Wherry Albion being taken out of the water, Leica 3g with post-war 50mm Summitar, 25th f2.8 on an overcast day in the rain.

Both scanned from darkroom prints. The Tanol really handles contrast and shadows very well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 4