Using my M8 for travel photography

armeniaca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After ten years of inaction, my M8 is out of dust.

Traveling to Armenia in one week.

I have:

Updated firmware.

Summilux 35mm pre asph (series VII, no filters at hand)

And

ELMAR-M 1:2.8/50mm Platinum-plated (Anton Bruckner) with UV-IR, red, green and yellow Leica filters E39).

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom version 2.4 for Mac. OSX.

So I wonder what lens is better for that purpose.

Only BW pictures.

What settings are recommended?

I read all threads about this topic, but something confused.

I am 69 years old.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

For b&w use, UV/IR filter is not required.

So you can use each one of your lenses.

In my M8, colored filter can "shift" the b&w rendering when I set it to register DNG+JPG in b&w .

When you have time untill the trip, why not do some experimentations with some settings then choose the best which suites you.

At first with DNG + jpeg mono to have some mono feedback and to help in post-processing the DNG afterward.

In this DNG+JPG , the writing to M8's SD is very long, so you know if this is acceptable or not to register only in DNG then PP in b&w at will.

Have you tested the camera? It is is not unknown for the shutter to get sticky after being out of action for a long time. Do the batteries still hold their charge?
You'll have to set time and date after the internal battery has recharged. It could have died as well, but that will not stop the camera from taking pictures.

There is no need to use colour filters for black-and-white on the M8, as you can alter the balance of the colour channels when post-processing. In fact, as the M8 needs all the light it can get, the use of these filters is counterproductive. The only filters you need are UV/IR.
There are two aspects; the non-use will lighten the shadows a bit by the IR light coming through leading to a pleasing tonal range, but the downside is that the image will be slightly less sharp, as the overlaid IR image will be out of focus.

7 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Have you tested the camera? It is is not unknown for the shutter to get sticky after being out of action for a long time. Do the batteries still hold their charge?
You'll have to set time and date after the internal battery has recharged. It could have died as well, but that will not stop the camera from taking pictures.

It seems everything works OK.  Time and date updated already.  thanks for the reminders. 

19 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

For b&w use, UV/IR filter is not required.

So you can use each one of your lenses.

In my M8, colored filter can "shift" the b&w rendering when I set it to register DNG+JPG in b&w .

When you have time untill the trip, why not do some experimentations with some settings then choose the best which suites you.

At first with DNG + jpeg mono to have some mono feedback and to help in post-processing the DNG afterward.

In this DNG+JPG , the writing to M8's SD is very long, so you know if this is acceptable or not to register only in DNG then PP in b&w at will.

Merci Arnaud.  I will do my weekend duties by sure. Thanks for your preliminar advices. 

You are welcome  🤞.

Don't forget to test your batteries.

They are old now, I had some 14464 which don't charge to 100% anymore.

See this thread (link) to have some ideas on14464 batteries (that I use on M8, M9 and Monochrom untill today).

The good news : we can still buy those original 14464 batteries new from Leica Dealers.

Edited by a.noctilux

On 9/18/2019 at 3:28 PM, a.noctilux said:

You are welcome  🤞.

Don't forget to test your batteries.

They are old now, I had some 14464 which don't charge to 100% anymore.

See this thread (link) to have some ideas on14464 batteries (that I use on M8, M9 and Monochrom untill today).

The good news : we can still buy those original 14464 batteries new from Leica Dealers.

Thank you, my both original batteries are working well. 

17 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

That filter thing is overrated, I have one but never use it, just enjoy your camera and enjoy your trip!!

There’s a reason Leica was forced to give out free UV/IR cut filters....

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/125189-does-the-m8-need-to-use-ir-filter/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-2129567

Jeff

On 9/16/2019 at 9:02 AM, armeniaca said:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom version 2.4 for Mac. OSX.

Lightroom has come a long way since that ancient version, including better controls for b/w editing and processing.  The last standalone version was 6.14, issued late 2017.  Since then, Adobe has moved to its controversial subscription only model. You might research if it’s possible to migrate to a later standalone version, but that door may be closed.  

Personally, I’ve moved to the subscription based Lightroom Classic CC, but do not use any cloud based storage. It’s $9.99 per month for both Lightroom and Photoshop, and for me (also at a young 69) is well worth the money.  Others have moved on to other products, but I’ll stick with Adobe unless they force cloud storage at some point.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

There’s a reason Leica was forced to give out free UV/IR cut filters....

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/125189-does-the-m8-need-to-use-ir-filter/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-2129567

Jeff

Well, I don’t see anything wrong with my images, so as long as they work for me...

12 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

Well, I don’t see anything wrong with my images, so as long as they work for me...

Sure, to each his/her own.  But I wouldn’t accept any offers to shoot weddings, for instance....

Foliage/vegetation can also be problematic, with green/yellow shifts.  IR effects are well documented, as is the weak M8 IR filtration.  It’s real, but if you don’t mind, that freedom of choice is a part of every photographic decision.

Jeff

Indeed. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct