Help choosing Leica M6 or M7

k0ffe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

I have to choose between two mint condition cameras, one is a upgraded viewfinder M7 and second one is a m6 classic with a recent CLA. 

I like the M7 as it gives me the option for aperture priority IF I want. But the one thing that worries me is the electronics, compared to the M6 mechanical inside. 

Please advise as I need to make a quick choice. The price is not the factor i need help with just the talk around riliabilty and posabilty to service IF it breaks down in a couple of years. 

I would always go for the M7. Yes, the M6 is mechanical and probably more ‘iconic’ but given you are familiar with manual metering, aperture mode is nice to have and can save time.

I would be interested to hear how many M7 users have had problems with the electronics. 

• Like 2

My oldest battery-dependent camera is a Nikon FE that dates from 1979 and is still working as it did when new, 40 years ago.  Any camera that relies on circuitry has a finite lifespan. Some will die young, others will die old and you buy them with that understanding.

I'd take the view that if you get more than a couple of years use out of it,  as you most likely will despite forum scare-mongering, then an M7 is a bargain in Leica terms.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HeI’ve had an M7 for 10 years. I sent it in to Solms in 2009 for the digital DX reader upgrade and the also the upgrade to the “MP” finder. As part of the work done, Leica replaced one or more of the electronic boards. Not sure why as there was no issue. The camera went back when I noticed a couple of small blisters in the viewfinder. A new finder later and the camera has been flawless since. I was so impressed with the finder that I had it put into my M6 classic when the curtain failed, but by Youxin Ye. When shooting film, I almost always use the M7. One of my sons prefers the M6. They are both great shooters. He tends to shoot BW and me, color. 

Edited by hilm3
  • Like 2

If you don’t mind to have camera which will become brick first among others M, get 7. Nobody knows for how long Leica might have access for its parts.

Difference between fishing right exposure via VF is huge from auto exposure.

Fishing for right exposure in VF and just measuring it externally is next to none.

Everyone with mobile phone could measure it for free via app. This app will show you same as M6 and more. 

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Well, my vote would be the M6. The advantage of AE over the arrow system is marginal if any, and even if the electronics may not be repairable by Leica, they are not essential for use of the camera, like the M7.

You make a good point but I have a Canon AE-1 from 1976 which is still working perfectly and the M7 is a much better camera than the M6 in many ways. Mind you, I have an M-A which beats them all.

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

The M7 is like a digital camera camera it will turn into a. brick if it fails after service has been ended. 

True but that could be a very long time, witness my Canon AE-1. There is a great deal of paranoia about such cameras. If the price is right then go for but in the knowledge that it could fail but may not.

I guess there is quite a bit of paranoia about Leica cameras and electronics and I suspect that this is a part of the fastidious personality that seems to be often attracted to Leica (and which manifests itself in complaints about noisy lenses and almost imperceptible creases in the body covering) but I think it might also be a result of Leica's not unblemished history with electronics and their eye watering service charges if something goes wrong. If an out-of-warranty M7 goes kaput, you tend to be looking at a starting price of £850 or so to get it repaired by Leica. At least with the other M film bodies you have the option of using it without the electronics.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1