Jump to content
ropo54

Why no M lenses on Leica S system?

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, ropo54 said:

Excuse my ignorance, and perhaps there is a simple technical explanation, but why does Leica not allow an adaptation so that M lenses may be used on the S system?  I see that Fuji's GFX system and the Hasselblad X1D have accommodated M lenses.  (See Frame-It's posts on the SL forum where he has posted some terrific M50 Summilux snaps taken with the GFX). Thanks. Rob

Maybe I’m ignorant too but an M lens has a too small image circle for an S, apart from the flange distance and the mirror that would hit the lens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, otto.f said:

Maybe I’m ignorant too but an M lens has a too small image circle for an S, apart from the flange distance and the mirror that would hit the lens. 

Not entirely true, some lenses have a larger image circle than needed. I assume this is just a consequence of how they are designed optically rather than a design goal itself. Ming Thein tested some M lenses on the Hasselblad X1D (that has the same sensor size) and if you scroll down a bit you see a listing of how well some tested lenses covered the sensor, https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/03/17/leica-m-mount-lenses-on-the-x1d/

Edited by Joakim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Not entirely true, some lenses have a larger image circle than needed. I assume this is just a consequence of how they are designed optically rather than a design goal itself. Ming Thein tested some M lenses on the Hasselblad X1D (that has the same sensor size) and if you scroll down a bit you see a listing of how well some tested lenses covered the sensor, https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/03/17/leica-m-mount-lenses-on-the-x1d/

" Lenses that provide adequate coverage (all will have some soft vignetting)

  • Zeiss: ZM 2/35, 1.5/50
  • Leica: 50/1.4 ASPH, 75/2 APO ASPH, 90/2 APO ASPH
  • Voigtlander: 50/1.7, 75/1.8"

and also

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/leica-902-summicron-m-asph-on-fuji-gfx-50s/

Edited by frame-it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frame-it said:
  • Leica: 50/1.4 ASPH, 75/2 APO ASPH, 90/2 APO ASPH

Hasselblad sells an 80/1.9 that splits the difference between 75 and 90, so that leave the 50/1.4 ASPH as the only Leica M lens that works OK on the X1D/GFX, and that doesn't duplicate a native lens.

I understand the appeal, but it only seems worthwhile if you already have the 50 ASPH, and the Fuji/Hasselblad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BernardC said:

only seems worthwhile if you already have the 50 ASPH, and the Fuji/Hasselblad.

yep...many people do have the 50 ASPH, and the Fuji/Hasselblad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The electronic shutter on the X1D is a disappointment for the handheld shooters.  The first time I mounted the Leica M to XCD adapter and got those drunken-curved verticals, I rushed to google is everything alright.  I've not tried it on the X1D II yet though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It wasn't my intention to drag the X1D into this discussion, the article I linked to was just an example of sensor coverage for M lenses with a camera that had the same sized sensor as the S series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joakim said:

It wasn't my intention to drag the X1D into this discussion, the article I linked to was just an example of sensor coverage for M lenses with a camera that had the same sized sensor as the S series.

Which is actually a great reminder that the S has a curtain shutter and could use the M lenses handheld if they'd mount!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 9:46 PM, geetee1972 said:

Been to Herm several times and even camped there for a week last year but not made it to the other islands like Brecou, Jetou or Sark.

I went to Herm a couple of weeks ago. I really should revisit Sark with my Typ 006. 

Brecqhou and Jethou are privately owned (Brecqhou by the billionaire Barclay brothers!) so not many people have been to those islands. Did you make it across to Lihou? 

I’m sorry to learn that you’re unlikely to make it back here due to personal reasons. We’re very spoilt on Guernsey by what we have around us - all within a 15 minute drive from wherever you are! 

Best wishes for the future.

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sarnian said:

Can somebody help me with using the below adapter?

Fotodiox makes a Leica L39 Visoflex adapter: https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/l39-viso-ls-pro

Could this adapter be converted somehow to take M42 lenses??

Thanks

This seems to be a direct M42 to Leica S mount adapter. 

https://www.ebay.com/i/302501883768

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alan.y said:

This seems to be a direct M42 to Leica S mount adapter. 

https://www.ebay.com/i/302501883768

With this adapter and our M42 Focusing Helicoids and Luminar adapters, you can use your Carl Zeiss Luminar Lenses on medium format camera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sarnian said:

With this adapter and our M42 Focusing Helicoids and Luminar adapters, you can use your Carl Zeiss Luminar Lenses on medium format camera

I read that. But does it mean it won’t work with your lens in m42 Mount? It’s m42 to Leica s, what you said you wanted no?

Edited by alan.y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy