Why no M lenses on Leica S system?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/15/2019 at 12:42 PM, ropo54 said:

Excuse my ignorance, and perhaps there is a simple technical explanation, but why does Leica not allow an adaptation so that M lenses may be used on the S system?  I see that Fuji's GFX system and the Hasselblad X1D have accommodated M lenses.  (See Frame-It's posts on the SL forum where he has posted some terrific M50 Summilux snaps taken with the GFX). Thanks. Rob

Maybe I’m ignorant too but an M lens has a too small image circle for an S, apart from the flange distance and the mirror that would hit the lens. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, otto.f said:

Maybe I’m ignorant too but an M lens has a too small image circle for an S, apart from the flange distance and the mirror that would hit the lens. 

Not entirely true, some lenses have a larger image circle than needed. I assume this is just a consequence of how they are designed optically rather than a design goal itself. Ming Thein tested some M lenses on the Hasselblad X1D (that has the same sensor size) and if you scroll down a bit you see a listing of how well some tested lenses covered the sensor, https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/03/17/leica-m-mount-lenses-on-the-x1d/

Edited by Joakim
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Not entirely true, some lenses have a larger image circle than needed. I assume this is just a consequence of how they are designed optically rather than a design goal itself. Ming Thein tested some M lenses on the Hasselblad X1D (that has the same sensor size) and if you scroll down a bit you see a listing of how well some tested lenses covered the sensor, https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/03/17/leica-m-mount-lenses-on-the-x1d/

" Lenses that provide adequate coverage (all will have some soft vignetting)

• Zeiss: ZM 2/35, 1.5/50
  • Leica: 50/1.4 ASPH, 75/2 APO ASPH, 90/2 APO ASPH
  • Voigtlander: 50/1.7, 75/1.8"

and also

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/leica-902-summicron-m-asph-on-fuji-gfx-50s/

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, frame-it said:
  • Leica: 50/1.4 ASPH, 75/2 APO ASPH, 90/2 APO ASPH

Hasselblad sells an 80/1.9 that splits the difference between 75 and 90, so that leave the 50/1.4 ASPH as the only Leica M lens that works OK on the X1D/GFX, and that doesn't duplicate a native lens.

I understand the appeal, but it only seems worthwhile if you already have the 50 ASPH, and the Fuji/Hasselblad.

1 hour ago, Joakim said:

It wasn't my intention to drag the X1D into this discussion, the article I linked to was just an example of sensor coverage for M lenses with a camera that had the same sized sensor as the S series.

Which is actually a great reminder that the S has a curtain shutter and could use the M lenses handheld if they'd mount!:)

On 9/18/2019 at 9:46 PM, geetee1972 said:

Been to Herm several times and even camped there for a week last year but not made it to the other islands like Brecou, Jetou or Sark.

I went to Herm a couple of weeks ago. I really should revisit Sark with my Typ 006. 

Brecqhou and Jethou are privately owned (Brecqhou by the billionaire Barclay brothers!) so not many people have been to those islands. Did you make it across to Lihou? 

I’m sorry to learn that you’re unlikely to make it back here due to personal reasons. We’re very spoilt on Guernsey by what we have around us - all within a 15 minute drive from wherever you are! 

Best wishes for the future.

Mark

8 hours ago, Sarnian said:

Can somebody help me with using the below adapter?

Fotodiox makes a Leica L39 Visoflex adapter: https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/l39-viso-ls-pro

Could this adapter be converted somehow to take M42 lenses??

Thanks

This seems to be a direct M42 to Leica S mount adapter. 

https://www.ebay.com/i/302501883768

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sarnian said:

With this adapter and our M42 Focusing Helicoids and Luminar adapters, you can use your Carl Zeiss Luminar Lenses on medium format camera

I read that. But does it mean it won’t work with your lens in m42 Mount? It’s m42 to Leica s, what you said you wanted no?

Edited by alan.y

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...