Why no M lenses on Leica S system?

ropo54

There's a guy in China who adapts Nikon T/S and Nikon-made Bronica 645 lenses to the S. These are also quite compact, and widely available and thus affordable. Next time I'm there I'll probably get a couple to try. He does a 200/4, 75/2.8, 50/3.5, 50/2.8, and Nikkor 35/2.8 t/s and 28/3.5 t/s.

I wonder how these compare to the Pentax and Mamiya 645 lenses.

55 minutes ago, alan.y said:

Sarnian, do you have some sample photos taken with Pentax 645 lenses on the S posted somewhere?

Pentax 645 A 35mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've put a couple of full-size images on dropbox (quick handheld snaps so could be better!):-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqe9fhupg4e5i1m/Pentax A 35mm at f11 L1000620.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfz1jiyyjczy4jt/Sydney Vane House demolition - Pentax 33-55mm L1000636.jpg?dl=0

Mark

Edited by Sarnian
Additional info
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, alan.y said:

I wonder how these compare to the Pentax and Mamiya 645 lenses

Me too, a nice comparison or just playing around and do some test shooting would be very interesting, I'd very much like more lens-options to discover different optical looks for different subjects, coming out of the S.

If only Leica could give us a few more adapters to work with, for a reasonable price.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sarnian said:

Pentax 645 A 35mm

I've put a couple of full-size images on dropbox (quick handheld snaps so could be better!):-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqe9fhupg4e5i1m/Pentax A 35mm at f11 L1000620.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfz1jiyyjczy4jt/Sydney Vane House demolition - Pentax 33-55mm L1000636.jpg?dl=0

Mark

Thanks Mark, very generous of you.

Both look very sharp, I assume the zoom was also at f/11 or so? Do you happen also to have some shot wide open?

In the 35mm photo there's something going on on the right edge of the frame, a little above the roof line, that looks like corrosion. But I don't see it in the zoom, so hopefully it's not.

Edited by alan.y

8 minutes ago, alan.y said:

Thanks Mark, very generous of you.

No problem. The TIFF's are better than these jpeg's but you get the idea.

I realise that these Pentax lenses aren't of Leica quality but: a) I can't afford Leica lenses, b) they're smaller and lighter than Leica lenses, c) I already had the lenses from when I owned a Pentax 645Z and d) the results are on par with what I was getting with them on the 645Z (i.e. no degradation of image quality due to the use of the adapter).

Mark

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, alan.y said:

In the 35mm photo there's something going on on the right edge of the frame, a little above the roof line, that looks like corrosion. But I don't see it in the zoom, so hopefully it's not.

Yep - it's sensor corrosion. 😪

I picked up my Typ 006 on the cheap (£785) due to it having sensor corrosion. I took a gamble buying it but I'm so pleased that I did as I love it! 

These shots were super quick test snaps so I hadn't got around to Spot Healing all of the corrosion spots out. The most unfortunate spot is the one to the left of the chimney in the centre of the image. Grrr. Most of the smallest, darkest corrosion spots are in the bottom right-hand corner but as that's normally rocks/grass in my images I hardly notice them or even bother to remove them; the ones in the sky are always the most noticeable so I Spot Heal all of those out. As this process takes me all of 10 seconds I figured I'd save myself the £2,000 that it would cost me to get the sensor replaced (because it's out of warranty - being second-hand - and it was manufactured more than 5 years ago).

When/if I can afford it I'll get a 007 and keep the 006 as a backup. I'm just waiting on the S3 to come out so the 007 prices start to fall!

Mark 

Just now, Sarnian said:

Yep - it's sensor corrosion. 😪

I picked up my Typ 006 on the cheap (£785) due to it having sensor corrosion. I took a gamble buying it but I'm so pleased that I did as I love it! 

These shots were super quick test snaps so I hadn't got around to Spot Healing all of the corrosion spots out. The most unfortunate spot is the one to the left of the chimney in the centre of the image. Grrr. Most of the smallest, darkest corrosion spots are in the bottom right-hand corner but as that's normally rocks/grass in my images I hardly notice them or even bother to remove them; the ones in the sky are always the most noticeable so I Spot Heal all of those out. As this process takes me all of 10 seconds I figured I'd save myself the £2,000 that it would cost me to get the sensor replaced (because it's out of warranty - being second-hand - and it was manufactured more than 5 years ago).

When/if I can afford it I'll get a 007 and keep the 006 as a backup. I'm just waiting on the S3 to come out so the 007 prices start to fall!

Mark 

At £785 I think it was a bargain even with the corrosion, which really isn't serious. Forest over trees, picture over pixels. Congrats! 

5 minutes ago, alan.y said:

At £785 I think it was a bargain even with the corrosion, which really isn't serious. Forest over trees, picture over pixels. Congrats! 

Thanks. As I'm only a hobbyist I figure that if I ever took an exhibition-worthy photo I would Photoshop away any sensor spots. Also, I take photos as source material for paintings so I ignore any corrosion spots rather than include them in my pictures! 

The car image only shows 2 areas of sensor corrosion - to the left of the chimney in the centre and the one that you pointed out above the shed (smudges with a halo around them). The spots in the sky are plain old dust on the sensor - which I've since cleaned!  

Will the corrosion continue in different areas? Does it spread or is it only ever localised to specific 'weak points'? If it does spread I'll just have to find a few more seconds of my time to Spot Heal them out! No biggie. 

On 9/16/2019 at 6:58 PM, Sarnian said:

Pentax 645 A 35mm

Mark

Is that Cobo?

8 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

Yes! Did you used to live here or have you visited? 

1/3 in from the right is the Guernsey flag on the Grosse Rocque (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-18006009). 

My wife grew up on the island and her mum still lives there (her dad was the islanf osteopath - Mike Lemon - but he passed away about five years ago) so I've been visiting regularly for the last 17 years and know the place very well. I've always been terribly fond of the island; it's the one place in the world where I genuinely just slow down and quite often just stop! I've also visited Alderney a few times as her gran and uncle and aunt lived there. Been to Herm several times and even camped there for a week last year but not made it to the other islands like Brecou, Jetou or Sark.

Sadly my wife and I are in the proces of divorcing so I doubt I will ever visit the island again, which is perhaps one of the more sad things about the separation. I love Cobo bay in particular for its excellent rock pools (my boys and I actually went line fishing in them one year and caught actual fish!) and of course the Cobo Bay Fish Bar.

2 hours ago, setuporg said:

I’ll be eagerly awaiting the results.  Even better, the 50 APO.

yes im curious about the it because with the 50R, on many images both with the 90apo and 50ASPH the results are very sharp and have some moire in fine details, which from what i've read means the lens can handle that resolution easily

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

yes im curious about the it because with the 50R, on many images both with the 90apo and 50ASPH the results are very sharp and have some moire in fine details, which from what i've read means the lens can handle that resolution easily

Sensor on the 50s/50r has smaller microlens to enhance sharpness, the downside is that it will create moire way too easily. AA 50/90 are pretty good lens, and the sensor tech doesn't help there....

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, xiaubauu2009 said:

Sensor on the 50s/50r has smaller microlens to enhance sharpness, the downside is that it will create moire way too easily. AA 50/90 are pretty good lens, and the sensor tech doesn't help there....

thank for the info..by the way, your Nanpu bridge Mono shot is Amazing 😃