Why no M lenses on Leica S system?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Excuse my ignorance, and perhaps there is a simple technical explanation, but why does Leica not allow an adaptation so that M lenses may be used on the S system?  I see that Fuji's GFX system and the Hasselblad X1D have accommodated M lenses.  (See Frame-It's posts on the SL forum where he has posted some terrific M50 Summilux snaps taken with the GFX). Thanks. Rob

So . . .  why not incorporate a medium format sensor into a SL-like mirrorless body?   Is that not the inevitable future if Leica is to stay in medium format?  

I presume that profits come from the number of lenses sold, more so than the number of bodies.  Why not enlarge the lens options (and portability)?  Why not the L lenses too with a medium format sensor? 

It certainly seems that Leica's competitors are headed in that direction.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ropo54 said:

So . . .  why not incorporate a medium format sensor into a SL-like mirrorless body?   Is that not the inevitable future if Leica is to stay in medium format?  

I presume that profits come from the number of lenses sold, more so than the number of bodies.  Why not enlarge the lens options (and portability)?  Why not the L lenses too with a medium format sensor? 

It certainly seems that Leica's competitors are headed in that direction.

I don't know the technicals at all, but, IIRC, Dr.Kaufmann said the S will remain a dSLR for its next iteration, but perhaps not after that. Certainly the most modern M lenses can resolve to sensors approaching 100 mps. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ropo54 said:

So . . .  why not incorporate a medium format sensor into a SL-like mirrorless body?

There are already many options on that front. None of them do what the S does well (speed, weather resistance, autonomy, gorgeous viewfinder). It may happen some day, but not now.

Leica has also indicated that the available technology isn't there yet to make a medium format mirrorless that is as fast as the SL.

• Like 1

The S system, Leica’s sole MF product, does seem at a crossroads.  Whether it continues in its current DSLR form (where is the S3?), evolves into mirrorless, or dies off is unclear.  And how the SL proceeds, including format options, also remains to be seen.  Interesting times not just for Leica, but for the industry as a whole.

Jeff

6 hours ago, frame-it said:

i have to say..except for the extreme corners, which i don't care about anyway..the 50lux is delicious on the GFX..and super sharp once Ive had my correct dose of coffee

My experience of the same combo was quite different. Focused close to or at infinity, it barely illuminated the corners and definitely didn't resolve well close to the edges (not that I expected it to). I don't have the files anymore but I remember this well.

But for portraits or close-ups I suspect it's okay.

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 1

Fuji GFX50R + Leica 50mm Summilux-M ASPH
ACROS-RED Jpg from Camera..cropped

F11, ISO 100, 1/500th, FULL 8256x6192 resized to 1280 for the forum...i see only the extreme corners with a bit of a vignette problem

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

F11, ISO 100, 1/500th, FULL 8256x6192 resized to 1280 for the forum, shadow lift

F11, ISO 100, 1/500th, resized to 1280 for the forum

and a bit of cropping [4x5/8x10] to > 7222x5778

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks, its the office building of a very famous architect "Tadao Ando"

ill have to look carefully :) shot over 2000 pics in 3 days and no Aperture data, i only noted down at some specific locations..i think the adapter is very important too..i use the novoflex :

https://www.novoflex.de/en/products-637/lens-adapters//adapterfinder-products/fuji-g-mount-mirrorless/adapter-leica-m-lenses-to-fuji-g-mount-cameras.html

1 hour ago, alan.y said:

Thanks. That looks good even though cropped to 5:4. Do you also have one in color and at f/4 or something?

ACROS-RED Jpg from Camera

Between f4 and f8, ISO 125, 1/500th, FULL 8256x6192 resized to 1280 for the forum.

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the smallest lens you can use on the Leica S system is the Pentax 645 A 75mm. It works great (manual focus only). The Pentax 645 A 35mm is a great performer so my travel kit is both of these little lenses.

Mark

P.S. Fotodiox makes a Leica L39 Visoflex adapter but I can't get my head around what's needed to use that set up! https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/l39-viso-ls-pro

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark,

Which adapter you do use to accommodate the Pentax 645 lens on your S?  Thanks, Rob

22 minutes ago, Sarnian said:

I think the smallest lens you can use on the Leica S system is the Pentax 645 A 75mm. It works great (manual focus only). The Pentax 645 A 35mm is a great performer so my travel kit is both of these little lenses.

Mark

P.S. Fotodiox makes a Leica L39 Visoflex adapter but I can't get my head around what's needed to use that set up! https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/l39-viso-ls-pro

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ropo54 said:

Mark,

Which adapter you do use to accommodate the Pentax 645 lens on your S?  Thanks, Rob

Hi Rob,

From reading a thread on here ip’s (William) did the legwork for me and a clever person in Hong Kong custom machined it. Really good quality and the lenses fit perfectly with zero play or wobble. I’m getting the same quality with the lenses that I previously used on my Pentax 645Z. That might not mean Leica quality but  being able to put a 35mm AND a 75mm lens in a small camera bag is very liberating. I’ve also used the Pentax FA 33-55mm (in manual focus mode).

Mark