What is this black line

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had my MP about 8 months now.  Recently I noticed a black line at the top of the image when I do a review in Adobe, or any other photo program.  If I open the image the line goes away.  If I hover over it in Explorer the line also goes away.  It does not appear on the LCD of the camera either.  I've tried a couple SD cards, the same results.  It does not appear to damage the image, just wondering what it is.  At first I thought it might be the sensor and shutter may not be in sync.  I hate to send it back if this is normal, but the camera will be off warranty soon too.  Attached is a screen shot that shows the black line on some images, and gone on others.  On this set, I have my camera set to RAW + B&W.  The black line is on both before it goes away.   It also appears that the whole image may be

moved down, then pops up?  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks, Wayne 

Edited by too old to care

Yes, it is normal.   The black line is because the preview image stored in the DNG file does not have the same 3:2 aspect ratio as the actual image.  The preview is generated by the camera to fit the aspect ratio of the camera LCD display.   Opening the image causes your viewer to calculate a new preview based upon the raw data.   Once that happens the dng preview is ignored.  Ignored by lightroom, anyway -- I expect other programs will also generate and then prefer their own preview.

• Like 3