UV filter -- Leica or Heliopan?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a small mishap with my Digilux 2 and luckily had a UV filter on the lens. So I need a new filter. I've found both Heliopan and Leica 69mm filters around. I've heard that Heliopan makes Leica's filters. Is that right? If so, Heliopan has a UV filter with "SH-PMC" multi-coating. The Leica filter specs and package don't mention anything like this. Do the Leica-branded filters have the same multi-coating?

17 hours ago, jrethorst said:

I had a small mishap with my Digilux 2 and luckily had a UV filter on the lens. So I need a new filter. I've found both Heliopan and Leica 69mm filters around. I've heard that Heliopan makes Leica's filters. Is that right? If so, Heliopan has a UV filter with "SH-PMC" multi-coating. The Leica filter specs and package don't mention anything like this. Do the Leica-branded filters have the same multi-coating?

Leica filters are said to be made by Marumi here and there but i haven't seen evidence of that. They have better performances than Heliopan's according to Lensrentals (https://tinyurl.com/y3966lvp) but they are also more expensive and you will probably see no difference as far as optical qualities. What i prefer in Leica filters, or at least some of them (to be checked), is their glass that can be removed easily from the filter mount and the latter having an internal filter thread allowing to stack another filter or a screw-in hood if needed..

I use a Heliopan Clear Protection SH-PMC Multicoated filter on my 28 Emarit M ASPH with no noticeable ill effects.  

It is the slim version, and is advertised as having 16 layer multicoating. It is constructed to an equivalent level to the B+W UV filters on my older Leica lenses that I bought years ago (before clear protection filters were widely available). 

I would purchase another without hesitation. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2019 at 1:44 PM, jaapv said:

In general Leica filters are made by Scott/B+W. Some by Marumi. Leica filters are not always multicoated. I would advise a Heliopan "protective" filter over an UV filter. There are a number of advantages.

Any advantages of a Heliopan over  B+W MRC nano filter?

Edited by james.liam

• 6 months later...
On 9/13/2019 at 7:44 PM, jaapv said:

In general Leica filters are made by Schott/B+W. Some by Marumi. Leica filters are not always multicoated. I would advise a Heliopan "protective" filter over an UV filter. There are a number of advantages.

Jaap - what are the advantages of a clear filter over a UV filter (assuming one is shooting on a digital body)?

I just bought 3 B+W UV filters (XS Pro, MRC Nano) for protective reasons. I was wondering if it's worth the trouble to exchange them for B+W clear filters.

Do clear filters control flare better than UV filters, by chance?

Three advantages:

1. They use high-impact resistant glass, making for better protection

2. The glass is thinner, making for less aberrations

2. They are nano-coated, making it easier to keep them clean. (but you already have that ;) )

• 6 months later...

I use Heliopan SH-PMC filters on my lenses. The lenses are too expensive to use anything else. I have NEVER been disappointed. I used to love the B+W Nano filters (Premium), but I have purchased several from various sources and I keep getting cheap Chinese copies (aluminum rings). I simply don't trust that name anymore. (BTW, Heliopan are now being copied in China, so buyer beware!)