John Z. Goriup

Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Took a trip to coastal Oregon last week and during one of the days there remembered the relative proximity of the Evergreen collection in McMinnville, less than an hour from Portland. In a word, fabulous.The Museum essentially started in 1993 when it aquired Howard Hughes's H4 'Hercules' - famous as the 'Spruce Goose', and built the facility around it, but it has since aquired many important and fascinating specimens from all eras, all of which are displayed magnificently and very accessably in  two large, airy halls with beautiful lighting. 

Spent an entire morning at the museum and can tell you that in my opinion this is the second best aviation display anywhere world-wide ( surely the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH must be #1 ) and is most certainly worth a trip.

The SL with the 16-35mm S.V.E. mounted on it was my only camera combo for the visit and this wondrous, incredible lens merely proved to me yet again that it is one of Leica's finest optics ever, all the negative bovine excrement about size, weight and price notwithstanding.

If you're going to be anywhere near the arera, I earnestly recommend this museum to anyone with a modicum of interest in the subject.

JZG

We visited there a few years ago, excellent museum. Apparently they had to take the Front of the Museum Off to get the SG inside.. Nice Image...L

Another image to demonstrate the range of exhibits and subjects at Evergreen, a Pratt & Whitney J58/JT11D-20K axial flow bleed-bypass Turbojet engine, delivering 32,500 lbs of thrust.

Two of these units propelled Lockheed's  SR-71 'Blackbird' to speeds well in excess of Mach 3....................and there are literally hundreds more fascinating displays.

JZG

Lovely.  As Wirth your wonderful automobile photos, let's see more of these.

Thank you, Stuart..................more than happy to comply, beginning with a shot of the inside of Hughes's 'Flying Lumberyard', but standing inside the fuselage really helps one to appreciate the immense size of this thing.

JZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

North American FJ-3 'Fury' - an evolution of the company's F-86 Air Force fighter, designed for use by the Navy & Marines from aircraft carriers,in eluding folding wings, more power and modified /  extended front landing gear to increase angle of attack for take-off from 

carrier decks.

One final image from the museum, not so much for the subject matter (a Curtiss JN-4 'Jenny') but rather, to highlight the capabilities of the extraordinary  16-35mm Super-Vario-Elmar lens.

JZG

I like the exposed valve actuators and that propeller!

The engine in that plane is a Curtiss OX-5 liquid-cooled V-8, the first American-designed airplane motor to be mass produced in this country ( until about 1919 ). It was a long stroke, 503 cubic inch motor making 105 HP and was used well into the '30s, then largely abondoned due to its inherent lack of reliability compared to more modern designs.

With the exposed valve gear and drip lubrication, no wonder pilots and race car drivers were covered in castor oil & looked like racoons when they removed their goggles after sitting behind these engines.

JZG

Thanks for posting these! Aviation is a particular interest of mine and combining it with Leica is the best of all worlds. Good pictures all!

Thank you John for this visit. I visited the British Museum in Duxford and I find the same impossibility to photograph correctly the planes, too concentrated.

Jacques