Afairall

M8.2 Appreciation

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, Merv-O said:

So my question to the group is, do modern lens coatings make the IR correction cut filters unnecessary? these cameras are so sharp at 10.3, it makes me dream for a 24mp CCD filter.....

Sorry, same issues, not just synthetic black material, but potentially yellow/green foliage. Many examples posted over the years with M8/M8.2 and  modern lenses.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

5 hours ago, Merv-O said:

So my question to the group is, do modern lens coatings make the IR correction cut filters unnecessary? these cameras are so sharp at 10.3, it makes me dream for a 24mp CCD filter.....

No and if anything they will notionally increase the magenta-black fabrics and yellow-green foliage because they will transmit a tiny bit more light since they are better corrected although it's unlikely to be noticable.

The reason for the magenta-black fabrics and yellow-green foliage is the weak infra-red filter over the sensor, which has not changed, and allows wavelengths above 700 nm (in the 'near infra-red spectrum') to reach the sensor. 

Every coin has two sides, and some of us make use of this by using the M8 to take pictures in infra-red.

Pete.

Am 12.9.2019 um 08:37 schrieb satijntje:

If I have to shoot, I take my Sony A7III
If I want to shoot, I take my M8.2

😉

well said ... !

On 11/7/2019 at 11:44 PM, Jeff S said:

Sorry, same issues, not just synthetic black material, but potentially yellow/green foliage. Many examples posted over the years with M8/M8.2 and  modern lenses.

Jeff

On 11/8/2019 at 4:51 AM, farnz said:

No and if anything they will notionally increase the magenta-black fabrics and yellow-green foliage because they will transmit a tiny bit more light since they are better corrected although it's unlikely to be noticable.

The reason for the magenta-black fabrics and yellow-green foliage is the weak infra-red filter over the sensor, which has not changed, and allows wavelengths above 700 nm (in the 'near infra-red spectrum') to reach the sensor. 

Every coin has two sides, and some of us make use of this by using the M8 to take pictures in infra-red.

Pete.

Gentlemen:

I just tested this out and while the effect is diminished it's still present....on go the UV/IR filters and voila! back to normal....Thanks for responding

On 9/21/2019 at 8:09 PM, iedei said:

i can't seem to edit my signature.  i put those there 6 or 7 years ago when i was far less evolved as a photographer. 

i still have the same gear as the signature.  that goes to show you how much i de-prioritized 'shopping' for gear. 

I enjoy seeing what other gear is out there, but i have little to no desire to change gear. 

would rather spend my time focusing on what matters; rather than detailing mundane, uninteresting, and irrelevant differences in lens rendering. 

I would love a mundane Q2 in my bag... 😂