M8.2 Appreciation

Afairall

Advertisement (gone after registration)

46 minutes ago, Merv-O said:

So my question to the group is, do modern lens coatings make the IR correction cut filters unnecessary? these cameras are so sharp at 10.3, it makes me dream for a 24mp CCD filter.....

Sorry, same issues, not just synthetic black material, but potentially yellow/green foliage. Many examples posted over the years with M8/M8.2 and  modern lenses.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

5 hours ago, Merv-O said:

So my question to the group is, do modern lens coatings make the IR correction cut filters unnecessary? these cameras are so sharp at 10.3, it makes me dream for a 24mp CCD filter.....

No and if anything they will notionally increase the magenta-black fabrics and yellow-green foliage because they will transmit a tiny bit more light since they are better corrected although it's unlikely to be noticable.

The reason for the magenta-black fabrics and yellow-green foliage is the weak infra-red filter over the sensor, which has not changed, and allows wavelengths above 700 nm (in the 'near infra-red spectrum') to reach the sensor. 

Every coin has two sides, and some of us make use of this by using the M8 to take pictures in infra-red.

Pete.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 11:44 PM, Jeff S said:

Sorry, same issues, not just synthetic black material, but potentially yellow/green foliage. Many examples posted over the years with M8/M8.2 and  modern lenses.

Jeff

On 11/8/2019 at 4:51 AM, farnz said:

No and if anything they will notionally increase the magenta-black fabrics and yellow-green foliage because they will transmit a tiny bit more light since they are better corrected although it's unlikely to be noticable.

The reason for the magenta-black fabrics and yellow-green foliage is the weak infra-red filter over the sensor, which has not changed, and allows wavelengths above 700 nm (in the 'near infra-red spectrum') to reach the sensor. 

Every coin has two sides, and some of us make use of this by using the M8 to take pictures in infra-red.

Pete.

Gentlemen:

I just tested this out and while the effect is diminished it's still present....on go the UV/IR filters and voila! back to normal....Thanks for responding

On 9/21/2019 at 8:09 PM, iedei said:

i can't seem to edit my signature.  i put those there 6 or 7 years ago when i was far less evolved as a photographer. 

i still have the same gear as the signature.  that goes to show you how much i de-prioritized 'shopping' for gear. 

I enjoy seeing what other gear is out there, but i have little to no desire to change gear. 

would rather spend my time focusing on what matters; rather than detailing mundane, uninteresting, and irrelevant differences in lens rendering. 

I would love a mundane Q2 in my bag... 😂

• 2 months later...

I bought my M8.2 (dealer demo) new in 2009, right before the M9 came out.  If I would have waited, I'd probably now have an M9, but something about the M8.2 just "fit" me.  I use it for a while, then sometimes use my Nikon/Fuji/Canon for a while, but there is a big difference.  The other cameras are "boring" by comparison - they're all photographic machines.  The M8.2 is something that you need to do your part to get a good photo - you can't leave it all to the camera.

I've got two Leica lenses, 35mm and 50mm that work, and a 90mm f/2 that I need to find a repair technician to fix.  Even if it was fixed though, I doubt I would ever use it.  I also bought some Voightlander lenses to get wider coverage, but the lens that stays on the camera the most is my 35mm f/1.4.  I've been learning how to set it to f/8 and try zone focusing, and I'm now getting a working routine that "fits" me.  

One thing that intrigues me, there are all these people who complain that the camera is sensitive to infrared light - but the flip side of that equation is that you can put an infrared filter on a lens, adjust the focus as needed, and take IR photographs!  I got reasonably good at that, then learned about how to swap the red/blue channels, and just when I was getting good,

For normal use though, I love the results I've been getting.  I've considered getting something newer, maybe even an M10, but I'm not sure it would do anything for me, and I'm not sure I'd even like the results as much as what I get from the M8.2 - more on that later.

I'll post one photo here if I can figure out how to do so; it's not a full-frame image, as I cropped it.  It also reminded me that I need to learn how to clean the sensor....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica m8.2 hi all after losing my digilux 2 sensor problems😩so I am purchasing a m8.2 with no lens,Looking really forward to start shooting with although I’m not a professional lov photographe and Leica as always been there at the top.If I have too listen too my friends so it’s just dslr all the time I know there are some fantastic cameras out there for the price I just paid for the body but I really don’t care image wise on my digilux was fantastic.Going too the Isle of sky in September with my friend he as all the equipment canon rf 4 lens bag you name it but a tripod would be good to have question is will my m8 do the job,Back too the m8.2 what would be a good lens to start with,Sorry For  my bla bla Just seems now there is so much to read and look at photo wise fantastic thank you for your time and would really appreciate info stay home and stay safe 

Leica m8.2 hi all after losing my digilux 2 sensor problems😩so I am purchasing a m8.2 with no lens,Looking really forward to start shooting with although I’m not a professional lov photographe and Leica as always been there at the top.If I have too listen too my friends so it’s just dslr all the time I know there are some fantastic cameras out there for the price I just paid for the body but I really don’t care image wise on my digilux was fantastic.Going too the Isle of sky in September with my friend he as all the equipment canon rf 4 lens bag you name it but a tripod would be good to have question is will my m8 do the job,Back too the m8.2 what would be a good lens to start with,Sorry For  my bla bla Just seems now there is so much to read and look at photo wise fantastic thank you for your time and would really appreciate info stay home and stay safe 

• Like 1

Hi Lenny and welcome to the forum!

My answer is to get a lens in focal length that you use the most because that's probably the picture that you see in you head before you compose the picture in the viewfinder and will be the focal length you naturally 'see' in.  To find out which focal length you have used the most you can look at the EXIF data in pictures you've taken with your Digilux 2 or you might already know what your favourite focal length is.

There's a common theme among photographers that landscapes need to be shot with a wide angle lens but this is not true.  Some landscape pictures naturally need a wide angle lens if you're close to a scene and you want to get as much as possible into the picture but many do not.  You might be at the top of a hill and want to shoot an isolated farmhouse as it's bathed in sunlight but a wide angle would make the farmhouse tiny and the strength of the picture is lost.  In this situation a standard (50 mm) or telephoto (75mm+) might be better.

You need to remember that the M8.2 has a crop factor of 1.33x so you need to multiply the focal length written on the lens by 1.33 so, for example, a 28mm becomes a 37mm lens, a 50mm lens becomes a 67 mm lens and a 75mm becomes a 100mm lens and so on.

When you've decided what focal length, or focal lengths, you would use then there are many options to choose from.  You could choose a Leica lens of course, or a Leitz screw mount lens with an adaptor, a Zeiss, Voigtlander, Hexanon, Kobalux, or one of the Russian copied lenses like a Jupiter, Orion, or Industar.  The price and the way the lenses 'draw' (high contrast, low contrast, vintage, modern etc) are different for each of the lenses of course but you can find information about that elsewhere in this forum and often with example pictures.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip to the Isle of Skye in September, which is one of my favourite photo destinations, and I hope you don't get too much rain or fog.

Pete.

Thank Peter for your answer focal length no idea sorry to say,This is why I have made my mind up to go all manually with the m8.2 and try and learn a lot more instead of just pressing auto and all done,The good thing is with Leica the lens are small not weighing a ton of bricks 😊can I buy any lens for it and what is the m mount do I need that to put on old lens so many lens like you say Peter, Never ending story but the lens on the digilux was fantastic don’t really know so much about crop in the photo world but will learn have been a golf professional all my life now as a pensioner I have more time to do my second passion which is photography.So many workshops around and so many fantastic photographers around its incredible how many they are, This forum is great reading all the time of something been looking on eBay there is quite a few for sale,Here in Sweden not so many buy I need one to start with🤗🤗think I posted my letter in the wrong box sorry always nice to get replies thou. Leonard 

Hi Lenny,

First thing you need to do is read the M8.2 manual.  If you didn't get a printed manual with your M8.2 then you can download a free M8 manual here.  The M8 and M8.2 cameras are quite similar.  (Other websites offer free download of the M8.2 manual but I haven't used those websites so I can't recommend them in case they download malware at the same time.)

The M-mount is the method of attaching a lens to your M8.2.  It's also called a 'bayonet mount' because, when you insert the lens into the camera and turn it to lock in place, the bayonet mechanism locks the lens in place and stops it from falling out.  It's similar to the bayonet mechanism in a light bulb.

Screw mount lenses simply have a 39 mm screw thread on the end so that the lens screws into the mount on older Leica film cameras.  You can use these lenses with your M8.2 but you will need to use a M to LTM adaptor (LTM is short for Leica Thread Mount).

If a lens you are interested in does not have a Leica M mount or a Leica thread mount then you won't be able to attach the lens to your M8.2.  For example, Nikon, modern Canon, Sony, Minolta, Fujitsu, and Fujinon lenses are not M-mount lenses and are not suitable for your M8.2.  Leica M, Zeiss 'ZM' and Voigtlander 'VM' lenses are M-mount and are suitable for your M8.2.

Pete.

4 hours ago, Lenny49 said:

To help you decide which lens to choose first consider the type of photos you mostly took with your Digilux. Did you tend to use the wider zoom end, the longer end or something in between?

Work out which was the most used focal length on your D2 and then choose something that equates to a similar lens on the M8 (remembering the crop factor as Pete has pointed out).

Also, as you like the look of the D2 images, I would suggest you stick to a newer lens which will have a typcially more contrasty 'modern' look to it than a vintage lenses (not better or worse, just different). The lens choice will really depend on your budget, but you could consider the Voigtlander Skopar lenses at the lower price range, Zeiss which are a bit more expensive or of course Leica lenses. Buying used is a good way to save money or to get a Leica lens for Zeiss money.

• 2 months later...

I still shoot my M8.2. Not as much as I used to, but love pulling it out and firing off a few images every now and then. IMO, the 8.2 images stand up well against current equipment especially if you don’t need big prints. That said a television show blew up my bw images to 40” with no problem for use as bg material. The CCD Kodak sensor was/is very special. Seriously, after all these years not many sensors can match it. It’s not all about mp’s but in the way the image is perceived. Leica M’s are tools for expressive photographers. The only limiting factor is creative ability. If you are just beginning you can grow into the camera, for experienced photographers it gets out of the way and lets them create the images they visualize.

You're right John. I'm still using my M8's. Even though i have the M-P (typ 240)

It's all about the sensor (APS-H) using the central middle bit of the lens.  It's sharper, fewer lens "faults" and gives a lot more "pop" to the image. And a good, albiet smaller, sensor.

Reckon that's why many are going back to APSC sensors.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

For the proud new owners, it is of course a stroke of luck, if an M8.2 has only completed 1000 exposures or even less.
And with the 'button dance' you can immediately read the number of releases on the display of any M8, M9, M-E and MM1.
But I ask myself, why did the previous owner invest in an expensive digital Leica M and mostly a few lenses, when he has been taking so little photos with it in about ten years?
Certainly these were not only rarely used back-up cameras.
My M8.2 had to help finance an M10-P, but this M8.2 had already managed 80,000 releases.

Edited by mnutzer

I've just been paging through the photos in the Flickr M8 and M8 + M8.2 groups.  The color and light are really wonderfully expressed.  And I cannot believe that everybody got the light and color "just right" without the help of the camera.  Tonality, gradiation, hue, saturation, whatever, these photos are just wonderful.  And why I went out and finally bought a Leica.  And one with a magic sensor. I have a great Sony A7M II with the wonderful Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8 and it has great color.  But not as real.  Eye-popping yes, almost startling.  I cannot wait for FedEx to show up with my camera and lens.  Woohoo!

vor 5 Minuten schrieb boojum:

...without the help of the camera. ...

The success is likely to have come about with the help of image editing programs and a lot of practice.
With the M10-P I have less work in Photoshop than before with the M8.2, which nowadays hardly shows acceptable results in low light and higher than 320 ISO.

15 hours ago, mnutzer said:

The success is likely to have come about with the help of image editing programs and a lot of practice.
With the M10-P I have less work in Photoshop than before with the M8.2, which nowadays hardly shows acceptable results in low light and higher than 320 ISO.

While I accept your greater knowledge of the camera(s) and this board than my own I still hesitate to accept your answer fully.  I am on the Flickr Pentax Q-S1 and Sony A7M II boards and do not see the same sweet "real" color nor its subtle gradations.  Granted it may be an "apples and oranges" situation because I am not looking at the same scene photographed by all three cameras.  And, yes, it may be true that the red dot attracts the more gifted in setting up shots but I still harbor the suspicion that this is the camera brand to have when you need that little bit extra and want to push it up to 11.  I'll have a better handle on this when my M8.2 gets here from Hong Kong.  The Voigt Nokton 34mm 1.4 will be here Thursday so I will be ready to go.  

I avoid the editing programs.  I suppose I should practice my skills there.  But I am a stodgy old cuss who is happy not to be spending 8 to 10 hours in a pitch black room with red lights.  I never enjoyed PS or LR that much, either.  I'll see.  But I still feel it is kind of fudging it a bit.  Yes, YMMV.

• 7 months later...