Q2 47 MB File Editing / Good Apple Laptop or Desktop?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I'm using 27" iMac (5K Retina) with 4.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 processor and the internal card reader will not import Q2 files.  I have to use Sandisk card reader via Thunderbolt port.  Importing is fast with Sandisk but no idea why the internal card reader won't work.  It's fine with M10 and SL files, so I'm guessing this has something to do with the higher 47mb Q2 files.

Perhaps it’s the UHS-II card that’s not supported. I can read mine just fine on my mid-2019 I9 iMac. 

7 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Perhaps it’s the UHS-II card that’s not supported. I can read mine just fine on my mid-2019 I9 iMac. 

I'm using a 64Gb Angelbird AV Pro card rated at 300 Mb/sec.  Overgaard recommends these card and I bought it originally to use in my SL.  Never had a problem with the SL, only with the Q2.  Strange!  I thought it might be a fault with the internal card reader, but that works fine with M10 files etc.

7 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I'm using a 64Gb Angelbird AV Pro card rated at 300 Mb/sec.  Overgaard recommends these card and I bought it originally to use in my SL.  Never had a problem with the SL, only with the Q2.  Strange!  I thought it might be a fault with the internal card reader, but that works fine with M10 files etc.

I’m not familiar with that SD card. I’ve used Sandisk cards for more than a decade. Never a problem. I use the Extreme Pro UHS-II 300 Mb/ sec. card. Reads fine on my current generation iMac and with a card reader on my 2019 MacBook Air. 

12 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Have you reformatted the Angelbird AV Pro card in the Q2 ?

If not do that and see if your problem resolves.

1 hour ago, RoySmith said:

Have you reformatted the Angelbird AV Pro card in the Q2 ?

If not do that and see if your problem resolves.

Thanks for your help.  

I formatted the Angelbird card again in camera.  When I insert this card in the iMac card reader there is no photo on the thumbnail.  When I try to import into Lightroom, I get a message that the file may be damaged and it does not import.  I then put the card in the Sandisk reader and use the Thunderbolt port and the thumbnail shows the photo and it imports into Lightroom with no problem.  

I've used this card in the SL with no issues and also in my M10-D, even though this doesn't support UHS II cards.  In both cases it works just fine, so still not sure why it only works with the Q2 if I use a separate card reader with the Thunderbolt port.  Anyway, time for a little experiment, so I tried two different cards in the Q2.  First a Sandisk Extreme III card, just a low capacity 2gb UHS I card and it works using the iMac internal card reader.  Then Sandisk Extreme Pro 16gb UHS II card (280 mb/sec) and this also works fine with the iMac internal card reader.

So it seems that the problem is with the Angelbird card, but only when using the Q2 and only with the iMac internal card reader.  Weird!

Thanks again for your suggestions.  I now have a Sandisk UHS II card that works, although still confused as to why the Angelbird card doesn't work!

15 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Thanks for your help.  

I formatted the Angelbird card again in camera.  When I insert this card in the iMac card reader there is no photo on the thumbnail.  When I try to import into Lightroom, I get a message that the file may be damaged and it does not import.  I then put the card in the Sandisk reader and use the Thunderbolt port and the thumbnail shows the photo and it imports into Lightroom with no problem.  

I've used this card in the SL with no issues and also in my M10-D, even though this doesn't support UHS II cards.  In both cases it works just fine, so still not sure why it only works with the Q2 if I use a separate card reader with the Thunderbolt port.  Anyway, time for a little experiment, so I tried two different cards in the Q2.  First a Sandisk Extreme III card, just a low capacity 2gb UHS I card and it works using the iMac internal card reader.  Then Sandisk Extreme Pro 16gb UHS II card (280 mb/sec) and this also works fine with the iMac internal card reader.

So it seems that the problem is with the Angelbird card, but only when using the Q2 and only with the iMac internal card reader.  Weird!

Thanks again for your suggestions.  I now have a Sandisk UHS II card that works, although still confused as to why the Angelbird card doesn't work!

I’ve never heard of Angelbird SD cards. I guess my bad and ignorance. It’s not a major brand at least in my knowledge base. Lexar, Sony, SanDisk, Samsung are brands I quickly think of. I looked on B&H. Generally  the top brands get excellent reviews. The Angelbird cards have more mixed reviews. Some folks complaining the cards lock up their cameras. My guess is there are only a few real solid state memory chip design houses. Companies are rebranding and again my guess is they may not all have the same testing and quality controls. I’d go with the top brands and not look back. Any questionable cards world go in the trash can. Good luck with sorting it out. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, T25UFO said:

I'm using 27" iMac (5K Retina) with 4.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 processor and the internal card reader will not import Q2 files.  I have to use Sandisk card reader via Thunderbolt port.  Importing is fast with Sandisk but no idea why the internal card reader won't work.  It's fine with M10 and SL files, so I'm guessing this has something to do with the higher 47mb Q2 files.

That's odd. I have the original 5K iMac and have no problem importing the Q2 files.

Any computer is OK. Just put LR catalog in a fast SSD. Add 32GB of RAM. Yes Lightroom is such a poorly optimised software, that is will benefit from it. 

And choose one with a compatible accelerated graphic card for LR. 

And add a 4K or 5K monitor at least to benefit from the 47MP

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Any computer is OK. Just put LR catalog in a fast SSD. Add 32GB of RAM. Yes Lightroom is such a poorly optimised software, that is will benefit from it. 

And choose one with a compatible accelerated graphic card for LR. 

And add a 4K or 5K monitor at least to benefit from the 47MP

Be aware that only few 4K monitors support Adobe RGB and/or are designed for photo editing. With Eizo that will lift you in the 1500 - 2500 $ range, however Benq has quite good ones starting from 600 $.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 12:37 AM, Jumper said:

Lightroom doesn’t support multi-core processors so I think I’d be looking at a basic 27” iMac but increasing memory to at least 16 mb, and selecting 1TB SSD. I’m wary of Fusion drives. The iMac has a card reader, btw.

The MacBook Pro is too expensive for what you get, IMO. Connectivity is limited too.

Lightroom and photoshop support up to 6 cores and also now support  more powerful graphics cards in Windows 10