photoray

Q2 47 MB File Editing / Good Apple Laptop or Desktop?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I realize this is a bit outside the range of photo questions here, but ...

I am dealing with copying and editing my Q2 47 MB files for the first time.  The process is a bit slower than I like given the large files and I am considering a computer upgrade.  I am currently using Lightroom.

What Apple laptop or desktop would you recommend for this kind of work?

Thanks in advance.

N

I would think any of the latest Apple iMac or laptops which have USB-C I/O will be more than adequate. I have a 2019 MacBook Air and an iMac and they work well. 

Major Apple announcements due on September 10th.   Don’t buy anything until you’ve reviewed the new Apple operating system features

It appears that current PC or Mac platforms do not suffice for shotgun photographers. I cannot think that is a bad thing.

Lightroom doesn’t support multi-core processors so I think I’d be looking at a basic 27” iMac but increasing memory to at least 16 mb, and selecting 1TB SSD. I’m wary of Fusion drives. The iMac has a card reader, btw.

The MacBook Pro is too expensive for what you get, IMO. Connectivity is limited too.

Edited by Jumper

Jumper,  I process my files with iMac Mini with Lightroom and most recently upgraded the hardware as well.  I most highly recommend you get at least 32 mb of RAM for the processing end.  Reason being the files size and LR processing speed plus it will help with growth as programs become more intensive.  If need be to save money then down size the 1TB SSD to 512 and get an external hard drive for backing up your files.  This is based on 20+ years of LR/Photo Shop and Mac experience.  r/ Mark

vor 50 Minuten schrieb LeicaR10:

I most highly recommend you get at least 32 mb of RAM

I guess, you mean 32GB, which is suitable for video editing, for plain image processing it seems to me an overkill (though I also run my Mac Mini with 32GB RAM).

12 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

I guess, you mean 32GB, which is suitable for video editing, for plain image processing it seems to me an overkill (though I also run my Mac Mini with 32GB RAM).

oops, thanks, i meant GB in my post.....

1 hour ago, Jumper said:

Lightroom doesn’t support multi-core processors so I think I’d be looking at a basic 27” iMac but increasing memory to at least 16 mb, and selecting 1TB SSD. I’m wary of Fusion drives. The iMac has a card reader, btw.

The MacBook Pro is too expensive for what you get, IMO. Connectivity is limited too.

There are very adequate Thunderbolt3/USBC multiport adapters with an SD cardv reader incorporated.

14 minutes ago, jaapv said:

There are very adequate Thunderbolt3/USBC multiport adapters with an SD cardv reader incorporated.

I'm assuming you mean for use with the MacBook as the iMac has a built in card reader.. 

I doubt if I will replace my early, well used 2013 MacBook Pro with a clapped out battery, intermittent sound, and a big white splotch in the middle of the screen.

An iPad Pro seems lighter & more practical for travelling, plus a 27" iMac at home....though I am tempted by the Surface Book + a good monitor. I only do B&W so the iMac one is fine for me.

Decisions, decisions

🤗

After many years of Macbook Air  and  too few Macbook Pro before both bit the dust, I decided on a new 13" Macbook Air. Very happy with the decision.

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

After many years of Macbook Air  and  too few Macbook Pro before both bit the dust, I decided on a new 13" Macbook Air. Very happy with the decision.

+1. Me too!!! 

In anticipation of Adobe's announcement of a fully functional version of Photoshop for the iPad Pro back in November of last year (still waiting Adobe), I bought the large iPad Pro and have been using it exclusively for Lightroom edits of pictures. I bought the pencil (awesome tool), a Hyperdrive combo plug in, and all work really well for importing and workflow. I have heard rumors that the new OS will allow exporting to a wired in portable drive, as using the Q2 and exporting to the iPad pro will consume a lot of memory in a short amount of time. This is the only point of pain in my process, as I currently have to use a few steps, including Airdrop, to get the files off of the iPad pro and onto a backup drive.

On my 10.5 iPad Pro 512 GB I have been running OS 13 Beta for awhile and while the wired connectivity is interesting in this version, I still find the solution a bit lacking, i.e. slow,  for transferring my Q2 RAW files.  All of this started with me coming home from two weeks in Mexico City and 2,700 Q2 RAW+JPG images to work with.

I am currently using a Mac Mini 2.8 GHz i5 16GB 1TB SSD at home.  I like swapping it out for an iMac 27 and can add memory myself maxing it out, allowing for headroom with some light video editing.  On the other hand a new MBP, although expensive, is one machine rather than having a couple of them to deal with.  I also have an old 2012 MBA 2.0 i7 8GB 256 that still plugs along and I can transfer Q2 files from it to a Samsung T5 2 GB External SSD.

Thanks for indulging all the handwringing ... I WILL get back to shooting and off this topic, I promise.  I had become used to working with 24 MB photo files and when I first encountered the 47 MB Q2 files, I was surprised at the process.

Bottom line ... I love the Q2 and the output is stunning!

Thanks everyone.

I believe that the new iPad operating system being announced this week (scheduled 10th September) , will support external hard drives and those drives will be cross compatible with the operating system on Apple laptops and desktops.

apple appear to be harmonising its range.  

Edit: just noticed that Photoray has been beta testing Apples new product, so its looking good!

Edit 2.

photogray (not photoray) has been beta testing new apple products.   We have two members with closely related names.

Edited by lucerne

I got the OWC 13 Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock with FireWire for my 2018 MacBook Pro and am very happy with it. All my old peripherals can attach to it and one USB-3 cable can connect them and power the MacBook Pro. My only disappointment was my Drobo for backup would not function through the FireWire port. The OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock SD card reader is UHS-I only. The iMac SD card reader is also UHS-I only, except the iMac Pro which has the faster UHS-II reader. 

I'm using 27" iMac (5K Retina) with 4.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 processor and the internal card reader will not import Q2 files.  I have to use Sandisk card reader via Thunderbolt port.  Importing is fast with Sandisk but no idea why the internal card reader won't work.  It's fine with M10 and SL files, so I'm guessing this has something to do with the higher 47mb Q2 files.