09-09-09

ianman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, michali said:

I was at my home in France and logged onto this Forum following the launch event. As the launch event ended, I took a random chance and called Arta Photo in Nice, spoke with the owner Stephan, whom I had never dealt with before, to ask when did he think it would be possible to get my hands on an M9. He promised to call me back. I thought to myself, "sure, this guy's never gonna call me back.........."

Two days later he called me to tell me I could come in and pick up my new M9. Ten years on, several thousand exposures and accompanying me on adventures all over the world incl. Africa, India and Antarctica:

Sounds promising:) My M-E is from end of 2015.

How did you get it working in the cold?

My Leica labeled battery lasts very short time if it is around -20c.

21 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Sounds promising:) My M-E is from end of 2015.

How did you get it working in the cold?

My Leica labeled battery lasts very short time if it is around -20c.

I visited Antarctica in "summer" = January/February and never went out if temperatures were below -15c. I'm from Africa why would I do that to myself??? We seldom experience anything below 5c if at all.....  Back to Antarctica, I kept the batteries on the inside pocket of my parka close to my body. They lasted for about 30 minutes.

After about 15 minutes of exposure to the cold, the camera would make a "whirring" sound after each exposure. At that point it was time to put it away. Once I got back on the boat  and left the camera in my cabin for 30 minutes at room temperature, everything was normal again.

Here's a link to my Antarctic images, all shot with the M9: Antarctica Leica M9

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:37 PM, ianman said:

The M9 was released 10 years ago today.... 🎂

Do you remember where you were on 09-09-09? I was right here on this forum!

Frankly… don't remember where I was… but remeber well that I was already a frequent surfer of the Forum… I took note of the general excitement and thought "damn, less of two years after my switch to digital with M8... I COULD have waited some time and not affording this lens-oddity related to APS-H format… oh well… I will SKIP this one… a Leica enduring 2 years ?  Not my attitude…" 

Looking back… probably wasn't a mistake… maybe it could have happened me to suffer about the sensor issues… and I NEVER had problems of maintenance with my Leicas… waiting for my present good M240 has probably been the right decision.

I have probably done the worst in coping with M9 corrosion. (I have two) I ignore corrosion because I make so very few remarkable photos that Photoshop touch-up suffices. Oh, and should there be the unlikely case where copyright is an issue the unique corrosion marks point to my camera originals. Yeah, fodder for argument.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

9/9/2009 = left Denver about 3 AM to drive to Salt Lake City (800-odd km), where my regional Leica rep would be holding an in-store release demo. Arrived just before noon.

Mounted my 21 Elmarit first thing, as seen above (my regional Leica rep and her husband - and remember "The Boxers" M9 brochures?). My love of the 21 was, of course, the driving force behind going to 24x36 ASAP.

By the end of the day, decided to order a used 75 f/1.4 as well. Needed the aperture and the close-focus capability, since the usable ISO increased only slightly over the M8, and without the crop factor of the M8, I could no longer frame as tightly as I wanted in the studio, with a 90.

I'd already gotten my name on the top of my reps' list in July/August (once a French website had leaked the spec sheet). 9/9/09 was the first day the reps could order product, so we put in the order for "first color available," and I received my own camera 9/17/2009 (black, as it turned out).

I kept that M9 until June 2018 as backup to my M10 - finally swapped it for a second M10 once a used one showed up locally.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 8:14 PM, michali said:

I visited Antarctica in "summer" = January/February and never went out if temperatures were below -15c. I'm from Africa why would I do that to myself??? We seldom experience anything below 5c if at all.....  Back to Antarctica, I kept the batteries on the inside pocket of my parka close to my body. They lasted for about 30 minutes.

After about 15 minutes of exposure to the cold, the camera would make a "whirring" sound after each exposure. At that point it was time to put it away. Once I got back on the boat  and left the camera in my cabin for 30 minutes at room temperature, everything was normal again.

Here's a link to my Antarctic images, all shot with the M9: Antarctica Leica M9

Just checked out your photos on the link, cracking set that show the quality of the camera when in the hands of a capable photographer, well done. I particularly like the pre-drone ariel shot from the helicopter with the blade in the top, for effect?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the weeks leading up to 090909, I was increasing obsessed with the M9. Yes, I say obsessed very deliberately. As the days went by, I found myself refreshing the front page of DPReview over and over, hoping to catch a glimpse of any leaked images. Same in the Leica forums. I spent wayyy too much time doing this, and the day before I thought, okay, enough is enough. I announced in a forum that I was stopping all internet until 090909 had come, because I was running myself ragged obsessing about it. I cannot think of another camera or anything where I was this crazed.

090909 rolled in overnight (I'm in Australia) and when I awoke, DPReview had changed their front page. Note the DPReview logo.

Leica Day on DPReview.com by Archiver, on Flickr

It wouldn't be for another several months before I bought my M9, though. The second batch came to Australia, and the dealer I called just happened to have one that was not spoken for. I screamed like a little girl and ran to the car, and within the hour, the M9 was mine. It's still with me, and we're going out later this week.

Some M9 images are here:

Edited by Archiver
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Archiver said:

In the weeks leading up to 090909, I was increasing obsessed with the M9. Yes, I say obsessed very deliberately. As the days went by, I found myself refreshing the front page of DPReview over and over, hoping to catch a glimpse of any leaked images. Same in the Leica forums. I spent wayyy too much time doing this, and the day before I thought, okay, enough is enough. I announced in a forum that I was stopping all internet until 090909 had come, because I was running myself ragged obsessing about it. I cannot think of another camera or anything where I was this crazed.

090909 rolled in overnight (I'm in Australia) and when I awoke, DPReview had changed their front page. Note the DPReview logo.

Leica Day on DPReview.com by Archiver, on Flickr

It wouldn't be for another several months before I bought my M9, though. The second batch came to Australia, and the dealer I called just happened to have one that was not spoken for. I screamed like a little girl and ran to the car, and within the hour, the M9 was mine. It's still with me, and we're going out later this week.

Some M9 images are here:

Great story. Sounds a lot like something I would do.

Love the screenshot too, really captured the excitement. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

• Thanks 1