09-09-09

ianman

The rep had an M9 at a  store demo,  I asked if I could place a 21 Super Angulon to check compatibility, he was very careful to mount it and it clicked into place without any issues.  The images that resulted were fine but needed cropping  from the side because of the Italian Flag.    Later on I did a comparison with a Phase One P30+ digital back and an M9.  The M9 with the beautiful Kodak sensor delivered the equivalent IQ as my digital back.  

• Like 2

Birthday, 11-09-2009... Ten years old today, slightly modified. Started out as black, turned into a-la-carte over the years. Out with Grandma. Leica I (1937) Both going strong  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Number 9, Number 9, Number 9...

The Beatles Stereo and Mono remasters where also released on 09/09-2009.

This picture was taken with a M8 five years ago. The M9 is now sold. A good camera.

• Like 3

On 9/10/2019 at 9:07 PM, J.Nordvik said:

Number 9, Number 9, Number 9...

There were all sorts of amusing comments on here that day. That was certainly one and also I remember, probably a few days before, somebody said they had called Leica to ask if the rumour was true and the reply was "Nein, nein, nein!"  🙂🙂 

• Haha 3

On 9/10/2019 at 3:44 AM, jaapv said:

Birthday, 11-09-2009... Ten years old today, slightly modified. Started out as black, turned into a-la-carte over the years. Out with Grandma. Leica I (1937) Both going strong  

Very nice sir!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 5:44 AM, jaapv said:

Cool leathering combination, very beautiful, too. Looks practically in brand new condition

• Like 1

http://mizuwari.fr/index.php/2019/09/09/le-leica-m9-a-dix-ans-entretien-avec-stefan-daniel-pere-du-premier-hybride-24-x-36-mm/

great interview. It is in french. 

To sum up :

Stefan Daniel was the M product manager since the M7.

- M9 starts the success path for Leica  

- M8 was a proof of concept, preparing for the real deal : M9. 

- M9 is the first digital camera (along with S2) fully developed in house 

- Leica is not a luxury brand ! It is a real photographic tools manufacturer. Special edition only cater to other demographics and collectors. 

- Leica was forced to choose Kodak sensor, at the time it was the only one accepting to manufacture the custom offset micro lenses array. 

- they chose the best sensor glass without thinking about longevity. They will never make such mistake again. 

- M typ 240 was a compromises camera, to please the R lenses owner. Then SL free the M10 of this task  

- future is bright. Camera market is still bigger than best analog photography years ! It is even 4 ou 5 time bigger in value ! Enough for everybody to survive. 

• Like 2

I was at my home in France and logged onto this Forum following the launch event. As the launch event ended, I took a random chance and called Arta Photo in Nice, spoke with the owner Stephan, whom I had never dealt with before, to ask when did he think it would be possible to get my hands on an M9. He promised to call me back. I thought to myself, "sure, this guy's never gonna call me back.........."

Two days later he called me to tell me I could come in and pick up my new M9. Ten years on, several thousand exposures and accompanying me on adventures all over the world incl. Africa, India and Antarctica:

Edited by michali
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1