"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

johnbuckley

vor 18 Minuten schrieb bags27:

Not that I'm likely to do this, but how does one actually pre-order something that hasn't even been announced? Is there a sign-up sheet on the outside door of one's local Leica dealer? 😀

Simple. You sell your dealer your SL at a good price and he promises that you will be the first one to get the SL2. 😁

1 minute ago, Chaemono said:

I’ve already put mine for a call option on the SL2, but only if it has a few more pixels than the S1R. 😁

So, it's leveraged against pixel count. Maybe I can sell a put to your dealer against that? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

... But in comparison with analogue photography, digital is only just into the wet collodion process ...

Wet collodion isn't through the wet collodion era, either.  Here's a timely example:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/Greta_Thunberg_in_Wet_Plate_Collodion_by_Shane_Balkowitsch_"Standing_For_Us_All".jpg/814px-Greta_Thunberg_in_Wet_Plate_Collodion_by_Shane_Balkowitsch_"Standing_For_Us_All".jpg

for the whole story, and links to the credits and open license see 

https://emulsive.org/articles/darkroom/wet-plate/greta-thunberg-capturing-the-voice-of-the-21st-century-using-150-year-old-wet-plate-photography

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Deleted....didn't open your second link.

Edited by Jeff S

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

Not that I'm likely to do this, but how does one actually pre-order something that hasn't even been announced? Is there a sign-up sheet on the outside door of one's local Leica dealer? 😀

You call up our mutual local crack dealer, the affable Mr. Flint, and just ask to be on the list if and when. Put in my request the day after the Q2 was announced.  Still on the list and frankly, I'm girding myself for the possibility that I'll still be buying one, though solely for M lenses at least for the foreseeable future. The X1D has its charms and that MF character which I do appreciate, but the lenses, or at least the 45mm, can't hold a candle to Leica's offerings, nor is its operational interface as refined as the M. Without going into details, it's funny how little things, the stuff that never gets revealed in reviews or short test sessions,  can be so utterly infuriating. The 'blad is certainly a valuable partner, but so far it feels more like an affair than a long term relationship. I shan't be rushing out to buy all the available glass for it anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

You call up our mutual local crack dealer, the affable Mr. Flint, and just ask to be on the list if and when. Put in my request the day after the Q2 was announced.  Still on the list and frankly, I'm girding myself for the possibility that I'll still be buying one, though solely for M lenses at least for the foreseeable future. The X1D has its charms and that MF character which I do appreciate, but the lenses, or at least the 45mm, can't hold a candle to Leica's offerings, nor is its operational interface as refined as the M. Without going into details, it's funny how little things, the stuff that never gets revealed in reviews or short test sessions,  can be so utterly infuriating. The 'blad is certainly a valuable partner, but so far it feels more like an affair than a long term relationship. I shan't be rushing out to buy all the available glass for it anytime soon.

Is the 45 the only lens you have for the X1D? It's decent but not spectacular and the weakest of the X1D lenses. The rest are noticeably better and very much like the SL primes but, in most cases, slower. I would like to see Leica really flesh out it's range of primes though. A 16 and 21 especially followed by a 180 would be ideal. The X1D 21mm, 30mm and 135mm/TC combo are quite spectacular and as good as the Leica zooms are they don't quite keep up. More SL primes would solve that. And then you could pair them with the high res option of the S1R. Hopefully the SL2 will have a high res option from that camera.

We have many pages on the potential SL2. What we really need is more lenses like the Summicrons.

Gordon

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Is the 45 the only lens you have for the X1D? It's decent but not spectacular and the weakest of the X1D lenses. The rest are noticeably better and very much like the SL primes but, in most cases, slower. I would like to see Leica really flesh out it's range of primes though. A 16 and 21 especially followed by a 180 would be ideal. The X1D 21mm, 30mm and 135mm/TC combo are quite spectacular and as good as the Leica zooms are they don't quite keep up. More SL primes would solve that. And then you could pair them with the high res option of the S1R. Hopefully the SL2 will have a high res option from that camera.

We have many pages on the potential SL2. What we really need is more lenses like the Summicrons.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon. I somewhat figured that the 45, yes my only lens so far, was the weakest link in the chain at the moment. It is in my estimation, as you say, decent, but not really up to standard set by the Leica primes (I've no experience with the zooms).  The original plan was to get the 21 or 30, the 80 and the 135 + TC. I think at this point though, I will hold off until after the SL2 is finally announced. One thing I will say in favor of the HB is that even under relatively difficult circumstances the files require the least amount of fiddling I've yet to encounter. The color rendition is indeed spectacular.

1 hour ago, Tailwagger said:

Without going into details, it's funny how little things, the stuff that never gets revealed in reviews or short test sessions,  can be so utterly infuriating. 

I, for one, wouldn’t mind reading about some of your infuriating details.  We’re already approaching a thousand posts here.

Jeff

Just now, Jeff S said:

I, for one, wouldn’t mind reading about some of your infuriating details.  We’re already approaching a thousand posts here.

Jeff

Sure, as long as I dont get yelled or laughed at.  And bearing in mind that my time with the camera has been short enough that it's certainly possible I've yet to unlock a secret switch or two. i.e. my stupidity, not the cameras.

The smallest problem I've encountered that has annoyed me the most is that by default any changes to the EV settings revert back to 0 after a single shot. After fooling around for a bit I did discover a setting under the menus which allows one to select whether or not the exposure lock (back button) should be reset after each shot. And when this option is selected to retain the lock for multiple captures, the EV setting is then also retained across captures (at least while the camera is on, once turned off the EV is once again reset to 0). The problem for me is that I use EV in a more general way to ETTL and so I normally wish to retain the setting over the course of multiple shots. OTOH, the way I approach things is that locking exposure and recomposing is a more shot specific action, thus I'd generally prefer any exposure locks to reset after each capture. Not a huge deal, but I feel somewhat damned either way, perhaps as my thumb is rather short which makes reseting the AEL a little awkward and I tend to be forgetful at times. 

Another little annoyance is that the MF assist (zoom or peaking) seems to only available be available when the camera is set to manual focus mode. One can manually focus in AF mode at anytime, but then zoom, is unavailable. I prefer to default to AF mode so it's not that unusual to find myself half pressing my way to focus, then wanting to fine tuning via MF from there. This can be overcome by assign the zoom function to one of the programmable buttons or by just giving in and setting the camera to MF mode and using the rear AFL to acquire focus, but it seems like such a simple miss. A further little oddity which I've yet to come to terms with (or find a setting to alter) is that while a half shutter press locks focus, it does not lock exposure. Can't say yet whether I appreciate this being decoupled or not, I can see arguments on both sides, but either way it requires a bit of mental recalibration as every other camera I've owned locks both. AFAICT there is no way to alter the  behavior via the menus.

There are a few other issues I've yet to come to terms with. But I wouldn't characterize any of this as anything more than distractions. Overall the camera is quite well thought out, though I do believe that overall Leica is better in this regard.

• Thanks 1