"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

johnbuckley

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

Which is precisely why just last week I grabbed a very slightly used TL 11-23. Keeping that and the 55-135; otherwise, all M and R mounts, though, like nicci, I suspect I may eventually weaken for an L prime.

The trio of TL zooms are excellent but quite slow. However paired with SL2 IBIS, they may be the best bang for the buck in Leica world. 

On the other hand the trio of SL zooms + Summilux-SL look quite out of place. Like four elephants in a porcelain shop. 

Edited by nicci78

36 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

The trio of TL zooms are excellent but quite slow. However paired with SL2 IBIS, they may be the best bang for the buck in Leica world. 

On the other hand the trio of SL zooms + Summilux-SL look quite out of place. Like four elephants in a porcelain shop. 

I'm definitely accentuating thread drift here, but.... I think the 11-23 and 55-135 are faster and significantly better than the 18-56, which is fine, but not as good and quite slow at the portraiture end. I swapped my 18-56, which I found I rarely used, for the 11-23. On an SL2, I think a fast 35 M mount lens is a better all-arounder than the 18-56.

Edited by bags27

TL lenses are not weather sealed at all. You will need SL and M lenses for that purpose. 

11-23 & 55-135  are definitely better. It is just that 18-56 desperately needs stabilisation at 56mm with only f/5.6 

We may just need a CL2 with IBIS

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lack of weather sealing on TL lenses would be a deal breaker for my intended use on SL2, despite obvious size/weight advantages. The 24-90, despite its heft, remains an option for my shooting needs, but the size (with added lack of internal focusing) is troubling.  Shame Leica doesn’t produce some smaller native options, even if slower and/or with narrower focal length range.  The X1DII system remains attractive in part for this reason, but its lack of either OIS or IBIS offsets other benefits.  Can’t have it all, apparently.

Jeff

40 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Panasonic and Sigma are also rolling out weather proof L mount lenses. 

True, but I choose a system in part based on native lens options, particularly for core use.  If I buy into the SL system, however, I would definitely consider the Lumix 70-200 ‘Pro’ in lieu of the monster SL 90-280 as a secondary lens, regardless of the stellar performance of the latter.  For broader Lumix lens use, I’d consider the S1R rather than the SL2.  Good to have choices nonetheless.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

vor 50 Minuten schrieb Donzo98:

The thought of it...

In addition to the fact that the SL glass is better in terms of IQ.

Doesn’t bother me a bit.  Renouncing the superior optical performance of the SL primes bothers me more.  The 55-135 TL is a stunner, though.  But it’s a bit slow and requires high ISO for fast shutter speed in order to avoid camera shake at the long end.  The SL2 with IBIS is just what the doctor ordered for this lens. 

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1