"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Yes, but the food that will be served allegedly includes some ingredients whose ‘best before date’ has passed. 

How do you figure? Leica has access to the same sensors as everyone else. For all we know, the SL2 was "delayed" because they were waiting for a new sensor to be ready.

All this speculation is based on the premise that Leica will use a sensor that is "old" (because it's been on the market 6 months!), but they've always used custom/new FF sensors in the past, except for the Q2.

I personally hope it's "delayed" because they are waiting for CFexpress cards.

28 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Steve Huff has said that the SL is his all-time favorite camera and that he's bought and sold it a couple (3?) times. Hmmm...

By that token all used car dealers must love their cars as they buy and sell all the time,....,wahahaha!

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb BernardC:

How do you figure? Leica has access to the same sensors as everyone else. For all we know, the SL2 was "delayed" because they were waiting for a new sensor to be ready. 

I figure because Nokishita is right 100 percent of the time. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb BernardC:

I personally hope it's "delayed" because they are waiting for CFexpress cards.

I personally hoped the SL2 was delayed because Leica is waiting for that new 2019 Epson chip that will enable a no-blackout EVF. Leica’s goal is to make the EVF experience indistinguishable from an OVF experience in the mirrorless world. But this makes no sense whatsoever. Epson hasn’t even announced a new EVF chip, LOL. 

The only way for the SL2 to achieve zero viewfinder blackout is to use a distortion-free full electronic shutter that allows incredible frame rates. This, on the other hand, requires a stacked sensor with DRAM that delivers ultra-fast data readout speeds (up to 20x faster) and makes it possible to capture still images of fast-moving subjects with minimal focal plane distortion.

Now, I googled around and simply can’t find a 47-50 MPx high speed FF stacked sensor with built-in DRAM. Which brings me back to the first point, Nokishita is right 100 percent of the time. 

Edited by Chaemono

59 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

[...] Now, I googled around and simply can’t find a 47-50 MPx high speed FF stacked sensor with built-in DRAM. Which brings me back to the first point [...]

And your first point was that the SL2 will have the same sensor as the S1R with a thinner sensor stack and microlenses for M and R lenses? If so you may be right indeed :D.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

I figure because Nokishita is right 100 percent of the time. 

I personally hoped the SL2 was delayed because Leica is waiting for that new 2019 Epson chip that will enable a no-blackout EVF. Leica’s goal is to make the EVF experience indistinguishable from an OVF experience in the mirrorless world. But this makes no sense whatsoever. Epson hasn’t even announced a new EVF chip, LOL. 

The only way for the SL2 to achieve zero viewfinder blackout is to use a distortion-free full electronic shutter that allows incredible frame rates. This, on the other hand, requires a stacked sensor with DRAM that delivers ultra-fast data readout speeds (up to 20x faster) and makes it possible to capture still images of fast-moving subjects with minimal focal plane distortion.

Now, I googled around and simply can’t find a 47-50 MPx high speed FF stacked sensor with built-in DRAM. Which brings me back to the first point, Nokishita is right 100 percent of the time. 

I don't think a stacked sensor would work well with legacy M lenses ( one of Leica's priorities as well)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

I don't think a stacked sensor would work well with legacy M lenses ( one of Leica's priorities as well)

Not sure. Kolari Vision offers α9 thin filter mod and that camera has a stacked sensor. See here: https://kolarivision.com/product/infrared-conversion-sony-a9-infrared-thin-filter-converted-mirrorless-camera/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

Steve Huff has said that the SL is his all-time favorite camera and that he's bought and sold it a couple (3?) times. Hmmm...

Every time I read his opinions, I can't help but hear Rufus T. FireFly (Groucho Marx, Duck Soup) in my head, 

"...you can leave in a Huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a Huff." 

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb nicci78:

No problem. Stacked sensors are BSI desig with DRAM, wires, analog/digital converter stacked behind photosites. 

So you get bigger photosites, shallow wells and fast I/O 

Sadly Q2 sensor is neither BSI nor stacked.

Too bad, because those stacked BSI sensors usually come with on-chip PDAF on top.

PDAF is not on top. And can be fitted to standard FSI sensor. Also. 

For PDAF you just have to sacrifice a certain number of photosites. They will be replace by focus pixels. The more the better for AF speed, but if they are too numerous, they can deter IQ. No free lunch. 

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

If we are day-dreaming about sensors, I vote for this one:

https://news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/2018/02/en180214-2/en180214-2.html

8K, 36 MP, wide ray angle for M lenses, electronically-controlled variable ND, global shutter. What more could you want?

Quote from the press release:

In the future, we will utilize this OPF CMOS image sensor technology in various applications such as broadcasting cameras, surveillance cameras, industrial inspection cameras, automotive cameras, etc., and will contribute to realize high resolution, high speed and high precision imaging and sensing functions.

It seems to be only a video camera sensor for now. 36MP in 16:9 is 8K resolution 

I'm very happy shooting with my user clean used SL and 24-90 that I bought from the Leica SoHo, NYC store. The SL body cost me $1,500. 

I will consider trading in my SL for the SL2 after reading the initial reviews.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

36 minutes ago, budjames said:

I'm very happy shooting with my user clean used SL and 24-90 that I bought from the Leica SoHo, NYC store. The SL body cost me $1,500. 

I will consider trading in my SL for the SL2 after reading the initial reviews.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

How did you get a an SL for 1500??

46 minutes ago, budjames said:

You did get a nice deal from Leica SoHo (your thread), but $6495 (and $1500 for the body) would mean that the used mint 24-90 cost you $4995, which is slightly more than new.  A used mint 24-90, with warranty, can be found for about $4000.  So, more realistically, your body was closer to a $2500 value, still a good buy.

Jeff

45 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

You did get a nice deal from Leica SoHo (your thread), but $6495 (and $1500 for the body) would mean that the used mint 24-90 cost you $4995, which is slightly more than new.  A used mint 24-90, with warranty, can be found for about $4000.  So, more realistically, your body was closer to a $2500 value, still a good buy.

Jeff

I figured that after a year of use, the used 24-90 or new one would be worth about the same. The SL body will still be valuable for a trade in for what I paid for it.

Regards,
Bud James