"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

johnbuckley

1 hour ago, Tailwagger said:

Exposure, in anything other than controlled or mundane situations, always involves compromise. Wider DR allows us to make fewer of them.

As for there being no option to manipulate a photograph shot with film in post, that is utterly untrue. There were/are tons of ways manipulating the image from using masks to dodge or burn, adding filters, tilting the enlarging surface, altering development and exposure times, etc,.etc, etc. 

A interesting vid comparing the DR of film and digital.

The point was, get the exposure correct or close to correct at the time of acquisition. Anyway, I’ve had enough of this thread. I’m signing off.

Btw, not everyone had access to a darkroom for dodging, burning, etc. we tried to get exposure correct in camera.

Edited by ron777

2 hours ago, ron777 said:

The point was, get the exposure correct or close to correct at the time of acquisition. Anyway, I’ve had enough of this thread. I’m signing off.

Btw, not everyone had access to a darkroom for dodging, burning, etc. we tried to get exposure correct in camera.

Given the typical level of intellect and enthusiasm I've observed in this forum over the years, I believe few here are interested in Leica, or anyone else for that matter, turning photography into a point and shoot activity.  That others have differing requirements or outlooks then yours or mine is to be expected and if not embraced or celebrated for its learning potential, at least accepted in the spirit of community.

I got your point. Perhaps you missed mine.  Film noise isn't unpleasant, digital noise is anathema, at least to me.  These days the correct exposure, as implied by the video I referred to, is to preserve highlights at the expense of shadows.  As someone who typically shoots outdoors in early morning light, this means one is constantly dealing with scenes over a very wide DR and working rather hard to find reasonable ways to fit things within the limitations of the sensor to pull sufficient detail. That brief isn't everyone's, but it isn't an uncommon one. While my images might be better off with a 'blad, there are any number of reasons why I'd prefer to stay with Leica and an FF solution. I suspect several others here have a similar requirements to be met before they would purchase an SL2 over what they are currently shooting with. Hence some of the hand wringing. 

Now, although you've perhaps checked out, I have to say that I'm shocked by the revelation that not everyone had a darkroom back in the day. Always wondered what those film drop off boxes were all about.  There was a photography lab in my high school and two in my house, though admittedly my father rarely allowed me in his. Undoubtedly, I've lived a charmed life. Nevertheless, an individual not having access is not the same as the medium not having the ability. So you when stated, 'there was no option to manipulate in post.'  I felt compelled to point out that before exposing ones thoughts, much like exposing one's film or sensor, there is a requirement for forethought coupled with a modicum of precision.

• Like 4

Still no invitation for 24th ?

I guess that SL2 is postponed once again. Will it ever see the day ? 

What took them so long ? 

It better not be a S1R clone and have IBIS. Or it have to find a way to be very compelling. 

Edited by nicci78

16 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

What took them so long ? 

It better not be a S1R clone and have IBIS. Or it have to find a way to be very compelling. 

Leica read the comments on the forum and they are now scrambling to get the 4 buttons back on the SL2 before they announce the release...hence the delay.

PS . Since things have gotten a bit intense on this thread let me state for the record that this was a feeble attempt at a joke :)

24 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

What took them so long ? .............

Maybe Leica have read this thread and have gone back to the drawing board 😂

My guess is they are still trying to decide which of these sensors to use 😁https://petapixel.com/2019/07/25/sony-shares-specs-for-six-full-frame-sensors-including-a-quad-bayer-chip/

Sony can’t possibly use all of them exclusively. Well, actually they could, in the α8, the α8R, the α8S, the α9R, α9S. 😂

Interesting that the α7 III, the Z6, and the Lumix S1 all use the same sensor, the latter without a OLPF (that’s why SL lenses are so awesome on it): https://m.dpreview.com/news/4477765388/sony-shows-off-specs-of-six-full-frame-sensors-including-a-quad-bayer-sensor

26 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

My guess is they are still trying to decide which of these sensors to use 😁https://petapixel.com/2019/07/25/sony-shares-specs-for-six-full-frame-sensors-including-a-quad-bayer-chip/

This joke is wearing a bit thin.

Leica will have decided on the sensor at the very least a year ago and have been testing the camera for most of this year as well.

What we will get is yesterdays technology. 

• Like 1

Q2 was manufactured since November 2018... postponed to pile a sufficient stock on launch day in March 2019. 

I guess that Q2 success, delayed the manufacturing of SL2. If they are using same sensor. 

There are also a battery shortage constraint. Both rumoured to share the same one.

Leica may prefer to build more Q2 with the sensor and the battery they got in stock. Who knows...

Maybe maybe not. But is it really surprising ?  M10-M, S3 and SL2 seem to be delayed in favour of Q2. Q line is Leica’s bread winner for the last 4 years. Outselling the M line by far. 

Leica is known to have very limited manufacturing capacities for its made in Germany cameras. 

Most non electronic parts come from its Portugal factory. Assembly has to be done at Wetzlar Germany. 

Wetzlar also has to build every lenses. Except 5 of the 7 existing TL lenses. Which are made in Japan

Edited by nicci78

15 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

It is better to fulfil the large back order of Q2. Than to pile up SL2, S3 and M10-M with very limited market potential. Even though they are very expensive cameras. 

...... but there comes a point where release is so delayed that the S3 and SL2 will look very dated, technology wise,  and many of us will have got fed up waiting and moved to alternatives ....:huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1