"Vader" Certainly Isn't Any Prettier

johnbuckley

High ISO performance may be a non issue with fast enough lens 

Since the last three months with my Q2, I only use higher than 6400 of 1.6% of my photos. Higher than 3200 is only 4.1%

And I use 1/125th as the minimum shutter speed. If I resort to use slower speed. The higher ISO will become almost useless.

If SL2 comes with IBIS, it will be even less likely to go that high.

PS On the weird part, my CL seems to be less light sensitive. Because when I use it with Summilux-TL 35mm, I got these underwhelming results. Higher than 6400 are 6.6% of my photos. And higher than 3200 is a whopping 20.5% ! And I am using a 1/100th minimum shutter speed ! 

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Makes sense. BTW, why would Leica announce the SL2 on September 24? Have invitations been sent out?

Edit - I’ve heard 50 MPx from two dealers now. It could be 49 rounded to 50, though. 

And not 47 rounded to 50? If anything but 47mp, SL2 will not share the sensor of e.g. SL12 or Q2, which is a plus in my book.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

High ISO performance may be a non issue with fast enough lens 

Since the last three months with my Q2, I only use higher than 6400 of 1.6% of my photos. Higher than 3200 is only 4.1%

And I use 1/125th as the minimum shutter speed. If I resort to use slower speed. The higher ISO will become almost useless.

If SL2 comes with IBIS, it will be even less likely to go that high.

PS On the weird part, my CL seems to be less light sensitive. Because when I use it with Summilux-TL 35mm, I got these underwhelming results. Higher than 6400 are 6.6% of my photos. And higher than 3200 is a whopping 20.5% ! And I am using a 1/100th minimum shutter speed ! 

Maybe T stop of the said lens far below its nominal F stop.

Wether it be 36, 42, 47 or 50MPx sensor, the specs are fixed at this time of the year. Only firmware will continue to be tweeked.

Beta testers are currently the ones who know the most, I doubt all the Leica store staff knows anything, not even the announcement date of SL2.

The earlier pics of SL2 are also Leica’s promotion ploy supplied to web publishers as ‘leaks’ just to keep potential buyers’ appetite wet. The product announcement is round the corner, just don’t know the exact date. 

2 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Two have said 50 MP. I’m starting to think either IMX311AQK or IMX313AQK. 

Q2 has a slightly bigger than full frame sensor. Being a 50MP sensor paired with 26mm lens, cropped at all times into 24x36 47MP and 28mm. 

So may be, SL2 using Q2 sensor is still true

NB : you can access the whole Q2's 26mm and 50MP with Capture One. Sadly not with Lightroom CC...

Edited by nicci78

Could be, but why give out the actual pixel number of 50 at all? They should just stick in their communication with some selected dealers to 47 MPx effective pixels. These two dealers who mentioned 50 to me without hesitation independently of each other will end up disappointing their customers, especially after telling them that the SL2 has more MPx than the Q2/S1R and that it doesn’t use the Q2 sensor.

Also, the S1R has limited video capabilities. It can't read the entire sensor to output 4K video and has to either line-skip (with small 1.1x crop) or crop to APS-C. It can't output 10-bit video, either externally or internally, and lacks V-log mode, giving one fewer options in post-production. “Cine Mode” with such a sensor will be perceived as a bit lame, IMO.

No, I bet it’s the IMX313AQK.

10 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

If the SL2 shoots 12-bit 4K UHD at up to 140 frames per second in Cine Mode which the S1R/Q2 sensor definitely isn’t capable of doing, the underpants-eating-and-barfing (in that order to satisfy your relentless but futile hope) cup will have passed over me. 😁

If it’s not 36mp... you already lost credibility :)

Aren't you the one said it was 36mp for sure?